The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Complete Idiots Guide To Tier 3 Defence

Desauron

Question

First of all i would like to start explaning the concept of "roles". You (whatever your warframe is) must understand your role in your SQUAD. Very important, you must understand that you are in a squad, NOT a race, marathon, journey or treasure hunt. YOU are in a squad, remember this at all times, your utility is required. You are a small cog in a huge mechanism, a little gear in a complex engine. Once you understand that, then it should be easy to understand how you can help others and how others needs your help.

Second of all, i would like to explain the concept of helping each other, but in a more advance way. Just covering your squad mates isnt sufficient, it never was, and never will be. You need to have vision, how things will be, where they will be, how bad can things really turn into.

So this is my team combo for t3 defence: Loki, Nyx, Vauban and Nova.

So, lets start explaning the concept of vision:

1. you got a map, and in its center is a cryopod that requires protection from your squad (not you, remember it needs your squad).

2. from key points ranged and melee units will swarm rushing to destroy you and the cryopod.

3. the perimeter of cryopod got 4 laser beams, that can be used and got a cooldown. But their range and direction is fixed not mobile, so you cannot bring the laser to the enemy, you must bring the enemy to the laser.

4. must surive 20 waves, each wave harder then the last one, the last wave is full of lvl 130 enemies (heavy grinner, ancients, fusion moas and some normal corpus)

What to do? and how to surive and destroy them?

Well, lets start with first: Loki

Loki got decoy, invisibility, switch teleport and radial disarm. Using radial disarm, we suddently got a map full of ONLY melee units + using decoy we can predict where they will be.

We can control the enemies movements with radial disarm and decoy, to put them in the laser range or far from cryopod.

Next: Nyx

Nyx utility can create mayhem in any battlefield, she got mind control, psyhic bolts, chaos and absorb.

Now we got a map full or melee units chasing decoy, but lets turn them into chasing and killing each other with chaos. Or go near decoy, use absorb and squad will shoot into your absorb.

Anyway you see it, chaos keeps them BUSY and DISTRACTED far away from you, cryopod and squad and this is what you want.

Next: Vauban

Vaubans utility in this map full of melee units killing each other is to defend the cryopod, only that with bastille and tesla. You see, loki or nyx might not control all of them, so vauban is the guardian of the cryopod he must never go to far from it. Nyx and Vauban guarding the cryopod is perfect combo, the full map will be in a stun lock because of chaos and bastille, they cannot reach and they will not want to reach the cryopod.

Final,the damage dealer: Nova

Ive chosend Nova as the damage dealer in my squad because of the utility of molecular prime, other ultimate skills must be brought to the enemies, putting yourself at risk. A melee hit from a lvl 130 heavy grinner is very painfull. Molecular prime makes the enemies walking bombs, but not walking where they want, the walking bombs will be walking where decoy or chaos commands them to go.

So now use the vision, we got walking bombs, killing each other or chasing decoy, that cannot reach cryopod because of bastille and they will not want to target the cryopod because of chaos and decoy. How does this map looks now?

Its all about control and who is pulling the strings, its all about the pain and who is going to make it, its all about outsmarting the enemy not outgunning them!

22 answers to this question

No frost? You choose the troll god of squishy ness king Loki but not a frost with an impenetrable shield?

Frost...? what for snow globe? havent you read that because of radial disarm they are melee? And because of bastille they cannot reach cryopod? have you just made a comment, just to kill some time?

Without radial disarm they would be ranged, scattered, they will not chase decoy only shoot it and they can hit the cryopod from distance, making bastille almost useless, then you need frost. Do you even think before you comment bro?

Edited by Desauron

Frost...? what for snow globe? havent you read that because of radial disarm they are melee? And because of bastille they cannot reach cryopod? have you just made a comment, just to kill some time?

Without radial disarm they would be ranged, scattered, they will not chase decoy only shoot it and they can hit the cryopod from distance, making bastille almost useless, then you need frost. Do you even think before you comment bro?

If your RD miss... or they hit Loki... or something else... Yeah, you lost you pod, bcs enemies just shoot it away. Think about this.

If your RD miss... or they hit Loki... or something else... Yeah, you lost you pod, bcs enemies just shoot it away. Think about this.

Radial disarm cannot miss, they wont hit loki because of invisibility or shades cloaking. Any other questions?

What annoys me the most is the fact that ~90% of all players in defense missions (especially high level) don't know how Affinity is shared.

They start running around like animals on Cocaine, camping the spawn points and do all kind of useless nonsense (I'm looking at you

Mr. Frost - No your Snow Globe isn't a help at all against that horde of level 100 toxic ancients, raiding the Pod.)

Maybe you can add a "what not to do" list to you explanations.

Thank you for taking your time to type this out. We appreciate it.

But I agree that Frost's Snowglobe would be immensely helpful in this defense mission. I understand that Loki's RD + Vauban's Bastille = GG, but you forget that Snowglobe + Bastille is also GG. 

And snowglobe, thanks to its cheap casting cost, is a much better solution I believe.

Thank you for taking your time to type this out. We appreciate it.

But I agree that Frost's Snowglobe would be immensely helpful in this defense mission. I understand that Loki's RD + Vauban's Bastille = GG, but you forget that Snowglobe + Bastille is also GG. 

And snowglobe, thanks to its cheap casting cost, is a much better solution I believe.

Yes, related to energy costs, it might be a better ideea, but... i have essence helmet and max streamline, i need 65 energy to cast radial disarm and i have max flow + max energy siphon.

Well, lets start with first: Loki

Loki got decoy, invisibility, switch teleport and radial disarm. Using radial disarm, we suddently got a map full of ONLY melee units + using decoy we can predict where they will be.

We can control the enemies movements with radial disarm and decoy, to put them in the laser range or far from cryopod.

Does your decoy not bug in T3 defense D:? My decoy only attracts 1-3 monsters per wave that is it.

You also forgot to mention you can use your switch tele to move monsters away from the cryopod,

it isn't as godly as mag's pull but it helps when you see a heavy about to hit the pod. Also, what would

you recommend for Loki in a team with frost since, RD really doesn't go well with his globe. 

Does your decoy not bug in T3 defense D:? My decoy only attracts 1-3 monsters per wave that is it.

You also forgot to mention you can use your switch tele to move monsters away from the cryopod,

it isn't as godly as mag's pull but it helps when you see a heavy about to hit the pod. Also, what would

you recommend for Loki in a team with frost since, RD really doesn't go well with his globe.

Well my decoy works ok, i mean i got no problems with it. Yes i didnt mention switch teleport to keep monsters away from cryopod because bastille does that. About loki in a team with frost, well... i would put decoy somewhere far from cryopod, frost puts snow globe on decoy and enemies that rush to kill the decoy are slowed down by snowglobe, if loki got a heavy melee (hate, orthos, reaper prime, gram) and does jump atacks then its easy to slash them. Invisibility gives you bonus melee dmg and bonus crit rate and crit dmg. Frost can stun them from time to time with avalanche to keep under control. Some notes about Frost there is a bug at the moment that he cannot damage ancients, not fair... i know...

Well my decoy works ok, i mean i got no problems with it. Yes i didnt mention switch teleport to keep monsters away from cryopod because bastille does that. About loki in a team with frost, well... i would put decoy somewhere far from cryopod, frost puts snow globe on decoy and enemies that rush to kill the decoy are slowed down by snowglobe, if loki got a heavy melee (hate, orthos, reaper prime, gram) and does jump atacks then its easy to slash them. Invisibility gives you bonus melee dmg and bonus crit rate and crit dmg. Frost can stun them from time to time with avalanche to keep under control. Some notes about Frost there is a bug at the moment that he cannot damage ancients, not fair... i know...

Ah I guess I been really unlucky. I've done about 5x t3 defenses with my Loki so far and my decoy really doesn't work at all so I had to stop using him :(

Radial disarm cannot miss, they wont hit loki because of invisibility or shades cloaking. Any other questions?

You will not RD every enemy on the map every time always, you are not invisible 100% of the time(especially since you're apparently spamming RD, you'll run out of power first).

Frost does this job a hundred times better, the only thing in Lokis favor really is the decoy.

Best way to do this is everyone stand around the objective, inside a frost bubble, activate lasers now and then(also a reason not to leave the bubble, lasers one-shot you too). Frost+Vauban makes it trivially easy. Nyx, Banshee, Rhino, Nova and Saryn are all good options for team members 3 and 4(personally I'd go with Banshee and Nova since Frost and Vauban has trivialized everything else, so might as well go with the best damage boosters).

You will not RD every enemy on the map every time always, you are not invisible 100% of the time(especially since you're apparently spamming RD, you'll run out of power first).

Frost does this job a hundred times better, the only thing in Lokis favor really is the decoy.

Best way to do this is everyone stand around the objective, inside a frost bubble, activate lasers now and then(also a reason not to leave the bubble, lasers one-shot you too). Frost+Vauban makes it trivially easy. Nyx, Banshee, Rhino, Nova and Saryn are all good options for team members 3 and 4(personally I'd go with Banshee and Nova since Frost and Vauban has trivialized everything else, so might as well go with the best damage boosters).

I got max streamline with essence helmet, this means i need 55 energy to cast radial disarm, and i got max flow and max energy siphon. This means my max energy is 450 energy, i recover 6 energy points in 10 secs (if only im using energy siphon, and i doubt this). Bottom line is that i can spam radial disarm more often then frost can spam snow globe, more then that i still got decoy and switch teleport to move enemies around the map. And related to invisibility, i can stay all times invisible with my energy efficiency build (got max continuity to, and if i add max constitution there will be no doubt i can be all times invisible). Also i use a shade, so if somehow magicaly i cannot use invisibility shade takes care of that.

Or another build would be swindle helmet with max stretch. Now that would be a ridiculously huge aoe radial disarm......

Edited by Desauron

For the easiest and safest way to do it is with Nyx, Vauban, Frost and Nova.

If you wanna rush it, you could always go with Nyx, Nova, Rhino and Banshee, though its not recommended unless you have high dps weapon for the last 5 waves.

despite what people say about loki, he is amazing in defense. His only downside is he cant handle damage though.

Decoy to change enemy course, Radial disarm is very useful with any high aoe frame (piles them all up in one spot.). Invisibility is arguable, switch teleport isnt good for defense. 

However i would still pick a frost over a loki because of two reason 

1- snow globe lasts longer (where loki's disarm doesnt affect newly emerged nemies)

2- snow globe is very cheap to cast, thus saving more energy to use for emergencies. (where loki's disarm takes a toll on his energy for several reasons.)

Edited by Ventias

Imo it can be done easier with Frost + Vauban + 2 damage frames, like Rhino and Banshee for the buffs. Not saying your way isn't viable, but this comes to mind as the most effective setup.

Almost managed to 3man my first T3 defense today - have to say I didn't expect it to be that hard. We died at one wave left when a .5 second breach in my snowglobe *somehow* instantly killed me and the guy right next to me and I couldn't cast snowglobe in the 2 seconds before the cryopod exploded. Jesus. Anyway, it's quite a challenging mission, but being Frost + Vauban negated most of the difficulty. If we had a 4th frame it would've been much easier.

Saryn fills the damage role incredibly well too.

Saryn's armor ignoring Miasma still one shots most of the enemies right down to the final 6 waves or so, and even then is severely damages them. Waves go by rather smoothly. [ Continuity + Constitution + Focus + Stretch ]

For the final waves, consider spamming Venom instead.
Some of my better T3D runs have been with her equipped.

Also. Don't forget to bring ammo packs.

Edited by Rudest