Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bad Internet Connection = Low FPS?

Dauragin

Question

The higher the ping, the lower the fps.

Ever since the rework of Earth and Chains of Harrow was out, I've been getting low frames per second whenever I host or the host's ping is high (above 100 ping). 

I don't know about you, but I'm sure that my Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) can handle high settings on this game before with no problem with the framerates, but now it's been dropping to 30-40 frames per second and it is just ridiculous. If our internet speed determined how much frames per second we're going to get, then I shouldn't have invested in a better graphics card. I should've just invested in the fastest internet in the world. Some NASA type of internet. This issue has been bugging me a lot lately.

Seems like DE has made a really bad optimization of their game graphics for this to happen. I just hope they fix this. Heck, this even happens when I put my graphics settings on low settings with everything off. I still couldn't get above 60 fps on Earth and other places when the ping is terrible. The only time i'd be able to get 60-90fps is when I'm playing alone. Playing solo. 

DE, please fix this. Please optimize your game or graphics or whatever properly. I can really tell that it's optimized badly because it happens even on low settings. 

Is anyone else experiencing this?

10 answers to this question

How did u get to that conclusion tho ? I also have a 1060 6gb and everything works well even when playing with those +1K ping hosts. Only frame drops i have experienced are when doing endless orokin derelict survival or using AdaptiveSharpen via reshade.

edit:mind posting full pc specs ?

Edited by AnonMarc

The best internet in the world is in South Korea, Japan, Asian countries to tell you the truth. There internet providers actually compete and don't willingly throttle your connection like they do here in the US. Also, DE is still optimizing stuff, most everyone got noticeable drops after the Earth re-master

44 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

The best internet in the world is in South Korea, Japan, Asian countries to tell you the truth. There internet providers actually compete and don't willingly throttle your connection like they do here in the US. Also, DE is still optimizing stuff, most everyone got noticeable drops after the Earth re-master

So basically what you're telling me is that I should just be patient because DE is still optimizing the game and that weeks or months from now it will improve? Because if so, then I can wait. And I hope that they are still in working progress with the optimization of the game's graphics and what not.

12 hours ago, Dauragin said:

So basically what you're telling me is that I should just be patient because DE is still optimizing the game and that weeks or months from now it will improve? Because if so, then I can wait. And I hope that they are still in working progress with the optimization of the game's graphics and what not.

It should improve, but knowing DE they are probably full tilt on Plains right now. Gotta remember that Warframe is STILL beta, even with the pay 4 cosmetics bit. DE does have to pay their employees somehow, and they aren't a giant team either like Activision, or DICE, etc.

15 hours ago, AnonMarc said:

How did u get to that conclusion tho ? I also have a 1060 6gb and everything works well even when playing with those +1K ping hosts. Only frame drops i have experienced are when doing endless orokin derelict survival or using AdaptiveSharpen via reshade.

edit:mind posting full pc specs ?

Alienware 15 R3

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel i5-6300HQ @ 2.30GHz

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I run the game in high settings with everything set to highest option and everything on except for Color Correction and Constant Weapon Trail.

Here are some pictures of the fps and ping with indications.

Solo playing:

b0eqRap.jpg

Playing with a squad, not being the host:

7O5mKCX.jpg

Hosting a squad:

5xyLC8s.jpg

As you can see, the frames per second decreases as the ping increased and of course when I'm hosting and my internet connection can't handle it, it gets even worse. I have no trouble playing solo, I get from 80-100+ frames per second, but once I play with a squad, the frames per second drops massively. I didn't conclude with this just because I thought of it, I concluded because that's what I've observed and that's what I've seen every time I play. It's just an observation. Before Earth Remastered and Chains of Harrow, that's when this whole thing started and it has gotten even worse when the patch/hotfix was release when they released Jat Kusar. I don't know what is going on, I know that DE has been working on improving the graphics lately, but I am pretty sure my GTX 1060 can handle Warframe's graphics. I even checked my hardware last night and did some stress testing on it, and it seems that my GTX 1060 has no problems with it as it passed every single stress test. So the issue here, I bet, it with the game's optimization. I must have been badly optimized when the Earth Remastered was released. I just hope that in the coming weeks/months this can improve because howdo they expect us to play when Plains of Eidolon, a huge open world environment, is released if they can't even get the game playing right with the small maps. They even said that they're doing their best to make Warframe work even on the older computers, but here I am having a new system with a GTX 1060 and still having problems with the frames.

2 hours ago, Dauragin said:

Alienware 15 R3

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel i5-6300HQ @ 2.30GHz

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I run the game in high settings with everything set to highest option and everything on except for Color Correction and Constant Weapon Trail.

Here are some pictures of the fps and ping with indications.

Solo playing:

b0eqRap.jpg

Playing with a squad, not being the host:

7O5mKCX.jpg

Hosting a squad:

5xyLC8s.jpg

As you can see, the frames per second decreases as the ping increased and of course when I'm hosting and my internet connection can't handle it, it gets even worse. I have no trouble playing solo, I get from 80-100+ frames per second, but once I play with a squad, the frames per second drops massively. I didn't conclude with this just because I thought of it, I concluded because that's what I've observed and that's what I've seen every time I play. It's just an observation. Before Earth Remastered and Chains of Harrow, that's when this whole thing started and it has gotten even worse when the patch/hotfix was release when they released Jat Kusar. I don't know what is going on, I know that DE has been working on improving the graphics lately, but I am pretty sure my GTX 1060 can handle Warframe's graphics. I even checked my hardware last night and did some stress testing on it, and it seems that my GTX 1060 has no problems with it as it passed every single stress test. So the issue here, I bet, it with the game's optimization. I must have been badly optimized when the Earth Remastered was released. I just hope that in the coming weeks/months this can improve because howdo they expect us to play when Plains of Eidolon, a huge open world environment, is released if they can't even get the game playing right with the small maps. They even said that they're doing their best to make Warframe work even on the older computers, but here I am having a new system with a GTX 1060 and still having problems with the frames.

Have you tried updating your drivers(make sure its WHQL and not a beta driver) ? Also try to Verify / optimize via the game launcher see if that works. Connection should not be hindering your fps worse thing you should experience is slow opening doors or enemies/loot lagging.

1 hour ago, AnonMarc said:

Have you tried updating your drivers(make sure its WHQL and not a beta driver) ? Also try to Verify / optimize via the game launcher see if that works. Connection should not be hindering your fps worse thing you should experience is slow opening doors or enemies/loot lagging.

Yes, everything is up to date. drivers, bios etc. I also recently optimized the game via launcher. I've done all of that. it's still the same.

I got my Alienware 15 R3 laptop on January of this year and when i first booted the game up back then there were no problems at all. Whenever the game's getting crazy especially on fissure runs in the void or too many enemies at Akkad, the lowest fps I would get was 40fps. Now, this happens every so often that there are thing going on in the screen even though it's not so crazy. Maybe Earth Remastered update really messed the game's optimization up real bad.

54 minutes ago, Dauragin said:

Yes, everything is up to date. drivers, bios etc. I also recently optimized the game via launcher. I've done all of that. it's still the same.

I got my Alienware 15 R3 laptop on January of this year and when i first booted the game up back then there were no problems at all. Whenever the game's getting crazy especially on fissure runs in the void or too many enemies at Akkad, the lowest fps I would get was 40fps. Now, this happens every so often that there are thing going on in the screen even though it's not so crazy. Maybe Earth Remastered update really messed the game's optimization up real bad.

Performance should have improved a few patches back. Maybe try contacting support see what they can do ? or try to get Steve's attention via twitter : https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair

edit: maybe try adding warframe as an exception on your antivirus/firewal see if that does anything ?

Edited by AnonMarc

1 hour ago, Dauragin said:

Try using MSI afterburner with OSD monitoring. Check your CPU usage, clock speed and temperature during gameplay to see if CPU speed is too slow or thermal throttling happens.

https://www.msi.com/blog/setting-up-osd-with-msi-afterburner