Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Top 3 Underpowered Or Imbalanced Mods

AuroraSonicBoom

I agree here. Some weapons require the ammo mods - I have used Twin Vipers and even though I loved the fire rate, I was always running out of ammo and burning through packs. It just didn't feel right. I guess I only commented from my own experience, as I almost don't use any ammo mods now (but the weapon does matter).

And another thing you mention here: JACKAL. That enemy should be renamed "Ammo Dumpster". It is annoying that an enemy that is just not that difficult takes so long to kill, burning through all your ammo. I've literally seen matches where you're just watching players shoot that thing continuously without even moving. That boss could use some work, make the fight more difficult, more exciting and less ammo consuming.

heh I remember I got Vampire on him back when Nightmare first came out... I was down to 4x health before mine osprey showed up and saved my &#! lol

Think I used one ammo pack for that run. Had my Vipers on. God I love them, wish they were better vs lv8x enemies so I wouldn't feel dirty using them in T3 Void :(

Edited by TheBlueJelly

I actually love Puncture for my defense missions, but I agree that for its cost and rarity it could be better. Maybe cause it to give the hitscan weapons a bit of innate Armor Piercing damage on top of the Armor Piercing mod. Would solve two problems at once, Puncture being underpowered and hitscan weapons losing a lot of their effectiveness on higher levels.

Thief's Wit and Master Thief should be a single module, and they desperately need to display dropped Modules and Blueprints before I ever consider them. I find resource farming easy even without the extra few lockers Master Thief might give me, and displaying breakables to me is redundant when I already know where stuff spawns in almost every tile. That said, they would still be situational at best because utility always has to lose when you have the choice of sheer tank or DPS output instead.

We should really have a separate Utility slot, just like Aura, where we can put stuff like Thief's Wit, Enemy Sense etc. and nothing else.

I like playing risky, so I love Steel Fiber on my Saryn. But it should be an absolute bonus rather than relative so that 10 Armor frames can benefit from it too.

All the resistance mods... I just looked at them, saw 2%, hooray for more fusion fodder.

Edited by Winterbraid

No Return, Shocking Touch and Fast Deflection. No Return isn't good enough to match up to other damage boosts, and the last two were outclassed when Focus Energy and Fortitude came out.

The puncture mods could be neat if they were made to do something constructive with their existence, but I personally think the concept is boring over all, and that there are many other mods that need a good upgrade before we do something with them any further than what's been done already.

Edited by ToeSama

Here is more than three.

I'll be giving types and also specific mods because this is seriously needed.

Elemental resistance.

Damage +

Punctures

Some nightmare mods.

Flow-Should be 200% to help the higher end people.

Charged Chamber-Do I even need to say? It's just a hunk of trash overall.

All Crit Mods-These won't change the tide of the battle if you only have your weapon crit chance uped by a few %. Also, it's highly misleading.

Specialized Mods-Things like Arcobat. If they are so specialized why have it even on your warframe?

Ammo Boosters-Yeah, we need a serious buff so I don't need to have 5 boxes of ammo in my inventory.

Some Aura Mods-Having your health uped by 1%< is not going to help unless you hide in a corner for a while.

Some Warframe Abilities-Yes, Rhino is good. Although I tried him in a T3 defence on the levels that should have a sign saying "Advanced Players Only". Rhino was fully uped as I am an advanced player although Rhino Stomp is seriously a tickle when you have 120lvs + ravaging the area.

Mele Mods-I know mele is for specific situations, why not have more and better mods for them then? My Scino is worthless for the higher levels. 

I'd say more, although I think this is enough to worry about.

Basically this. Energy cost can eventually be overcome with enough Forma and hard work, but you can't overcome a mod being terrible.

Oh yeah, because people totally forma every single weapon they get rather than just the ones they like, and I totally forgot about how you can instantly fill all the mods slots on a weapon with high level mods when its new and unranked, and you aren't forced to use crappier mods. /sarc

No Return is bad, but its not top 3 bad. Its boost is crappy, but it gives the most useful damage type. If you are fighting high enough level Grineer or Corpus, 5% armor piercing is worth more than 15% fire damage, and it has a lower mod cost than either. Its still bad, but I can name at least 6 mods that are much more useless. As I stated earlier, Insulation and Lighting Rod offer very small boosts that only matters against single enemy types, one of which only works on a single boss. Flame Repellent is in the same boat but is a little better since Scorchers are common. Warm Coat and Antitoxin are both nearly useless due to their small boosts as well. No Return isn't even the worst damage mod since Shocking Strike has the same issue as No Return while taking up as much mod space as better damage mods. At least No Return is somewhat balanced in mod size for its rather crappy boost. Its a terrible mod, but there are definitely much much worse ones.

This is my post in the "PUNCTURE MOD STILL NOT WORTH IT THREAD". if you agree with this post please bump that thread as well as this. Re quoting will help as well!

This mod is listed as RARE with a hefty cost as well. That being said it provides no where near the level of damage outputted by RARE mods with LOWER costs.

There are a few ways you can go about addressing this problem and Ill list them as follows. (Just a summarization of previous posts of other users. For all those with short attention spans; TLDR: PLS FIX RANGE OF PUNCTURE THX.)

These fixes are all related to buffing the range of puncture and adjusting the values appropriately for each weapon type. All of these methods however, do come with complications listed farther down the post. !!!INCOMING WALL OF TEXT!!! (And vigorous use of seemingly unneeded parenthesis as well as occasional grammatical error.)

Method #1:

Just add a flat increase to the effective range of puncture. Use whatever values you deem fit but please, at the bare minimum give one shot the capacity to penetrate AT LEAST one mob. This at least, would rival Multishot because you would be essentially dealing the same amount of damage. (2X Damage to one mob with Multishot at 100% vs X Damage to two targets with Puncture.} Use Multishot as a baseline. If you find that even this is too overpowered, then no amount of point cost reduction would save this mod from being completely useless.

Method #2:

Diminishing effect with every penetration. With this you can establish a balance between damage and range. For example lets say that instead of 0.6 M, the mod's effective range is increased to some arbitrary amount (There doesn't even need to be a range cap because you can just adjust the percentage). With this increase however, you decrease the damage dealt to each subsequent mob hit by a percentage so that the total sum of damage would equal or at least compare to Multishot. This method also has the added benefit of scalability according to its accompanying point cost, because you can just lower the percentage of damage dealt, range and mod point cost to however you see fit!

Method #3:

Limiting the amount of targets that can be hit by this mod! Its really quite simple. As others have stated, maybe simply increase the amount of mobs a shot can penetrate with each rank. Not only that you can also apply diminishing returns here as well! Lots of options huh DE?

Now that we've got that out of the way, we can now address some of the issues that lie with the Puncture mod itself. You guys will have to keep these facts in mind when you decide whether or not Puncture is worth buffing at all or whether or not it should be removed entirely altogether. They will also be accompanied by possible solutions.

Problem #1

This might have been DE's biggest issue with previous builds of the game but I would not know because I only started playing at update 7. WALLHACK-LIKE PROPERTIES. From what I've read off other posts, players might have been able to shoot straight through obstacles. This of course defeats the purpose of adding any sort of cover in an environment as the player can just shoot through them LOL. (Completely destroys the cover mechanic incorporated into Grinnie AI.)

Possible Solution:

Make it so projectiles cant puncture the environment? I am completely ignorant to whether or not this would affect shield wielding mobs, but I'm assuming it wouldn't.

Problem #2:

CRITICAL SPOTS!! With puncture there is always a possibility of hitting a single target at an angle where you would hit multiple critical spots! (Multishot and pellet-orientated weapons in mind here, as lining up two critical points with a sniper or something would be rather more difficult.} This me very well be the reason puncture exists in its current state! (Like mentioned previously by another person, SONAR with a Puncture-modded Shotty seems extreme in terms of damage potential when you're hitting multiple points along with multiple enemies!) Hehe maybe this is why the current max level Puncture Mod is so mod point expensive.

Possible Solution:

Well TBH I wouldn't know how to resolve this issue. Completely clueless here. Maybe puncture can't even function in this way because a singe projectile can only damage a target once, but again I am completely ignorant in this aspect as I have yet to try the Banshee + Puncture combo.

So Hopefully DE views this amalgamation of thoughts and suggestions. By no means are these ideas solely my own as I am sure many if not all of the posts in this thread fall into one of these categories. These ideas are simply a streamlined summarization of this thread's ideas so please if you can keep this post going! (Would also greatly appreciate it as I put some time into typing this all out...)

1)Every mod that gives less than 10% per level needs a buff to at least 10%.

2)Puncture- needs a complete rework or it will never be able to compete with multishot

3)Steel Fibre- apart from the fact that armour mechanics suck in this game, this mod is no alternative to Redirection, Vitality or even Fast Deflection.

Oh yeah, because people totally forma every single weapon they get rather than just the ones they like, and I totally forgot about how you can instantly fill all the mods slots on a weapon with high level mods when its new and unranked, and you aren't forced to use crappier mods. /sarc

No Return is bad, but its not top 3 bad. Its boost is crappy, but it gives the most useful damage type. If you are fighting high enough level Grineer or Corpus, 5% armor piercing is worth more than 15% fire damage, and it has a lower mod cost than either. Its still bad, but I can name at least 6 mods that are much more useless. As I stated earlier, Insulation and Lighting Rod offer very small boosts that only matters against single enemy types, one of which only works on a single boss. Flame Repellent is in the same boat but is a little better since Scorchers are common. Warm Coat and Antitoxin are both nearly useless due to their small boosts as well. No Return isn't even the worst damage mod since Shocking Strike has the same issue as No Return while taking up as much mod space as better damage mods. At least No Return is somewhat balanced in mod size for its rather crappy boost. Its a terrible mod, but there are definitely much much worse ones.

The problem is endgame, like you said AP is the most valuable damage type, and 30% max isn't very much help.  Because of this the only viable secondary weapons at lvl 50+ are the three with innate armor ignore.

On a somewhat related note, melee and shotguns already had the best AP mods, and now with nightmare mods you can get an extra 60% AP each... 

Overpowered mods:

Multishots (all)

Base Damage (all)

Whichever element is the enemy's weakness mod.

Underpowered mods:

Puncture.

Puncture.

Puncture.

Edited by J-Pax

On 2013-07-19 at 12:07 PM, Mateodon said:

No Return, the weakest of the AP mods.  It's hard to justify using it at all once your pistol reaches level 4.

I agree that the puncture mods need either a reduction in cost or improvement in penetration.

Privacy Deleted

Edited by Chessalavakia

Just a heads up if the enemy has > than 234 Armor and you are hitting an armored point No Return is the highest damage elemental mod on your pistol unless you are shooting a light infested.

A level 1 grineer lancer has 200 armor it doesn't take more than a few level for it to hit 234.  The mod is just far too weak at 30% and needs to be 45-60% to be equal with rifles. An ancient disrupter starts with 300 armor. Ap is the most valuable damage type in game by a long shot.

Edited by LazyKnight

And another thing you mention here: JACKAL. That enemy should be renamed "Ammo Dumpster".  It is annoying that an enemy that is just not that difficult takes so long to kill, burning through all your ammo. I've literally seen matches where you're just watching players shoot that thing continuously without even moving.  That boss could use some work, make the fight more difficult, more exciting and less ammo consuming.

I'd like to sneak in an off-topic comment and say that Jackal is only an "ammo dumpster" because people KEEP SHOOTING at it all the time.

While in fact it have a lot of "invincibility frames" where shooting him is just pointless.

I honestly don't think the puncture mods need any boosting, but if they do boost it anything over 1m would just be unbalanced.

I would like to see the resistance mods get a buff, the percetage is just too low, aside from that it would be great to see a higher damage ratio on No Return, it just feels lackluster right now

I'd like to sneak in an off-topic comment and say that Jackal is only an "ammo dumpster" because people KEEP SHOOTING at it all the time.

While in fact it have a lot of "invincibility frames" where shooting him is just pointless.

In a game where Melee is currently the redheaded stepchild, not to mention that all bosses have a 'Keep Away' blast...  What do expect us to do???

In a game where Melee is currently the redheaded stepchild, not to mention that all bosses have a 'Keep Away' blast...  What do expect us to do???

Shoot him only when it matters?

When Jackal is falling down, he's invincible.

When he's getting up, he's invincible (not really, but he's got his shield up at this moment).

When one of his leg was shot enough, it becomes invincible as well (and you'll need to shoot another one).

Plus, his legs are invincible when he's down and his body is invincible (not really, but protected by his huge shield) when he's up.

Nerf: Pistol mods. Nothing specific, just pick a few of them, and nerf them. They get the best deal for everything except AP and Cryo, and for no particular reason.

Buff: Puncture mods, Resistance mods (effect needs to be 5 times stronger at least), Charged Chamber (I'm not asking for Primed Chamber, I'm asking for a consolation prize that isn't complete and utter crap).