Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A few beginner questions

Gromzok

Question

Hello everyone so i am closing in on 1 week since i started playing Warframe and i need advice with a few things.

Do keep in mind that i only just finished Phobos and my Syndicate is Steel Meridian.

1. Right now i have Excalibur and Frost Prime maxed and Rhino is being made atm. Any other frames that are easy to get like Rhino so i can just keep lvling mastery without pause?

2. What weapons do you recommend to new player to work toward? Currently i am using Boltor as primary and Heat Sword as melee (secondary weapons that i tried where very underwhelming so not using them at all). Also any specific weapons i should strive for in the future? If it matters out of all frames the one i like most is probably Chroma from what i saw and i enjoy survival missions most (solo or grp doesn't matter).

3. Now that i am starting to fight mobs lvl 20 i find that i am becoming pretty weakish and i am going to guess that its mostly because of mods. What are some of the must have mods and how far do you recommend to lvl them up to stay effective while clearing star chart. I have all of the basic mods like Hornet Strike, Vitality, Serration, Pressure Point, Steel Fiber and Redirection and they are all rank 5. I could lvl them further but since Endo is pretty scarce for me i wanted to check for some advice before i spend it further.

Thanks!

Edited by Gromzok

15 answers to this question

ok, every week maroo (at her bazar in earth orbit) has an ayatan mission available if you talk to her, completing this will give you a sculpture worth about 1,500 endo when you put 2-4 stars in it.

This mission used to have an alert, but DE hid that to all players who have not done the second dream for some obscure reason.

Credits can be obtained at 12,000 from one 5 wave run of Coba, Earth. later on Seimeni, Ceres, offers 20,000 per 5 wave run.

Power mainly comes from mods, a fully modded mk-1 braton can kill lvl 50 enemies without much trouble.

Boltor is decent, i recommend also trying the karak, or the Hek shotgun.

Heat sword is pretty versatile, no problems there.

For secondaries, try the Lex (slow powerful handcannon/pocket sniper), or Sonicor (ragdoll CC, often called Tenno Space Program)

Weapon blueprints are available from the market for credits.

You can get Mag on phobos from killing the oneshot wonder, and Frost on mars from lech krill. (shoot the backpack till it smokes, let him fix it, repeat until he becomes vulnerable)

Note both versions (normal/prime) award separate mastery.

Generally you want to work through the quests and planets and collect mods, while building and leveling any weapons that interest you.

for modding you want to follow the following template initially:

- Raw damage mod (pressure point, serration etc)

- 1-2 elemental (hot/cold/toxic/electricity mods (do not use +slash/impact/puncture, they are a lot weaker)

- for melee, attack speed mods, for bows, fire rate, and normal guns, another elemental or stuff like reload.

if you have not already, use the FREESWORD code on the website to get a free heat sword with slot, this sword will have an orokin catalyst (double mod capacity) so you may want to swap to it if your current one does not, if it does, feel free to sell it and use the slot for other weapons.

Feel free to add me as a friend in game, IGN is same as forums name.

Starter 50p is best spent on 1 warframe slot (20p) and 4 weapon slots (2x 12p)

Edited by Elvangreen

1. The Sergeant on Phobos drops Mag parts. You could go get her fairly easily, as The Sergeant is super easy compared to other bosses.

2. The Hek and the Tigris are both really good early game shotguns that take down enemies well over level 20.

3. Good early mods are Pressure point, Vitality, Redirection, Seration, Hornet Strike, and really just the health and damage mods. Once you get some of those, you should level them up as much as you can. Warframe mods like Intensify, Continuity, Flow, and Stretch and a must have to, though in my opinion they're less relevant as long as you have a good weapon. 

4. Endo is obtained through Maroo's Bizarre on Earth. She has special missions in the void that require you to get Ayatan sculptures. Once you've raced through the obby course to get them, open up your mods section and click on Ayatan Sculptures. There you can insert Ayatan stars which make the sculpture worth more endo. Then, you can turn it into endo by going back to Maroo.

I'd recommend maxing all the core mods as much as feasible, such as serration, vitality, flow, streamline, hornet strike, and pressure point.

I'd also recommend doing low level farming missions to get prime parts to either build, sell for plat, or sell for ducats. Just 100 or so gets you the inaros quest which will yield a very tank frame that doesn't need a lot of mods to do well.

In terms of weapons, I highly recommend Hek and the steel meridian augment which turns it into a serious powerhouse. Also recommend orthos, Bo + skana to make Tipedo, Aklex, lex prime, akstilleto, and dread/Paris prime 

1. Depending on your running against eximus enemies or endless runs, you might gather a bunch of parts of Oberon, this can be an excellent warframe for early play and it brings relative durability; healing; and harm in a solid all-rounder package.

2. If you are doing a bunch of missions on Earth, try building up some Grineer weapons like the Grakata and a second copy for the Twin Grakata later. They can hold you over pretty well until you decide which enemies you find most annoying to face and stock up towards them. Try to build a selection of mods for each situation, elements towards this faction or that; and gear up appropriately. Corpus weapons in general are often puncture which is good against Grineer; Grineer weapons are often Impact which do well against Corpus shields; and Tenno weapons have a mix with many having Slash damage strong against Infested.

3. Try to gather up as much endo as you can, looking for sculptures or running survivals, defenses, and interceptions for their endo rewards. If you don't mind infested, you can run derelict defense or survival after your base stat mods get a little strong or you are confident in your anti-infested capabilities.

1 hour ago, Gromzok said:

1. Right now i have Excalibur and Frost Prime maxed and Rhino is being made atm. Any other frames that are easy to get like Rhino so i can just keep lvling mastery without pause?

Most bosses drop frame parts so if you can kill a boss you can get new frame. That is normal Frost and Mag for you right now, Trinity and Valkyr in near future. Try to find a clan and you will get access to few other frames (Banshee, Nezha, Volt, Wukong, Zephyr) and a bunch of weapons - as long as the clan has it researched (most clans has).

2. What weapons do you recommend to new player to work toward? Currently i am using Boltor as primary and Heat Sword as melee (secondary weapons that i tried where very underwhelming so not using them at all). Also any specific weapons i should strive for in the future? If it matters out of all frames the one i like most is probably Chroma from what i saw and i enjoy survival missions most (solo or grp doesn't matter).

Try a few different weapons and see what you enjoy the most. Any weapon can clear the starchart if modded properly. No weapon is is overpowered out of the box and those that seem powerful usually have drawbacks like limited ammo capacity and large reload time.
If any weapon is "fun to use" for you then ask here for builds against different factions. Be prepared you get suggestions that use 4-5 forma and rare or primed mods you don't have. Don't worry - just do what you can, everything will come with time.

3. Now that i am starting to fight mobs lvl 20 i find that i am becoming pretty weakish and i am going to guess that its mostly because of mods. What are some of the must have mods and how far do you recommend to lvl them up to stay effective while clearing star chart. I have all of the basic mods like Hornet Strike, Vitality, Serration, Pressure Point, Steel Fiber and Redirection and they are all rank 5. I could lvl them further but since Endo is pretty scarce for me i wanted to check for some advice before i spend it further.

Level up your basic damage mods as high as you can, at least to rank 8. You will notice the difference. Also always use those mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, Point Blank, Pressure Point) and elemental mods good for faction you are facing. Check the table on Damage 2.0 to see what elements are good for what faction.

Also try to level Vitality and Redirection a bit higher. You can dissolve duplicate mods for endo and that will be your main source of it. Sure, Ayatan sculptures with stars give a lot but I bet you don't find that many of them. Be sure to keep at least one of each mod you dissolve to endo, mabye 2 for weapon mods (sentinel weapons use the same mods as your weapons and you need a duplicate for them).

If you die too easily keep moving. Don't stand still trying to aim and shot. Learn to shot while jumping or quickly aim, shot and hide behind cover. Even if you can face tank level 20s with Rhino you will struggle later. No mods will save you.

1. Get everyframe possible. each boss from each planet drops warframe parts. Youll get them sooner or later.

2. Get braton prime. Polish it. Love it. It will bring you to end game. I am currently using it on hardest missions in warframe. It never failed me.

3. Focus on your primary weapon for now. Upgrade secondary and melee later once you have access to larger endo farming. 

Join A Clan so you have access to more warframes and weapons.

Build Sentinels, they are available 100k credits each on your arsenal

Edited by cburger7000

22 hours ago, Gromzok said:

If it matters out of all frames the one i like most is probably Chroma from what i saw

Most of your questions have been answered but a couple things I'd like to add, starting with Chroma.  He is going to be a hard frame for you to build until you progress a little further.  The chroma systems requires having a saryn systems first and saryn is locked behind the Kela de Them boss fight on Sedna, the highest level Grineer planet.  Additionally to fight her you first have to earn points doing Rathuum missions making it a pain to farm.  Farm points, fight boss, get the part you don't need, repeat.

You'd also need a volt part from the dojo so like someone said you need to get into a clan.

I have all of the basic mods like Hornet Strike, Vitality, Serration, Pressure Point, Steel Fiber and Redirection and they are all rank 5. I could lvl them further but since Endo is pretty scarce for me i wanted to check for some advice before i spend it further.

Shotguns give you the most bang for the least effort in ranking mods.  What ever weapon type you use though make sure and farm up or trade for all four 90% elemental damage mods.  Those are all 5 rank uncommons and boost your damage a lot without too much investment.

secondary weapons that i tried where very underwhelming so not using them at all

You eventually get access to very powerful secondaries like the Lex Prime, Euphona prime, and the ak Stilleto prime (just to name a few) but yeah the early game pistols tend to be not great and secondaries and primaries are competing for your endo.  It is valid to just concentrate on primaries early, but *always* have a non-max ranked pistol equipped when you play in public matches.  Letting shared affinity level those pistols for you is an easy way to increase your mastery level.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me advice i read trough every single post and find it very helpful.

That being said i got new questions:

1. I got everything i need for Kavat except genetic codes. I know how to get them but the question is where is the lowest lvl area i can farm them? Also what Kavat is considered best?

2. When lvling gear how does experience gain work? For example if i kill mobs with melee will my primary also get xp? From what i saw the weapon that gets kill gets most xp while some xp is split among rest of the gear is that right?

Edited by Gromzok

1. I got everything i need for Kavat except genetic codes. I know how to get them but the question is where is the lowest lvl area i can farm them? Also what Kavat is considered best?

The easiest way to get codes is see one of the alerts that give you 5 and run that.  But as with all alerts they are random and never happen when you are playing.  Otherwise you are stuck running the Orokin derelict to scan wild kavats.  Not to be confused with The grineer kavats... those are different.  Usually people run the exterminate mission, but any of them work.  The hammer that scans when you kill things is nice to use if you are solo.

Smeeta and adarza are both really good.  Which is better is really personal preference.

2. When lvling gear how does experience gain work? For example if i kill mobs with melee will my primary also get xp? From what i saw the weapon that gets kill gets most xp while some xp is split among rest of the gear is that right?

Dividing affinity is a bit complicated and your best option is to just read over the wiki page:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

Hello everyone i got new questions so i decided to use my old thread instead of opening a new one in order to keep everything in 1 place.

My current melee build for Nikana Prime: Blind Justice, Pressure Point, Fury, Organ Shatter, Blood Rush, Virulent Scourge, Vicious Frost, Condition Overload, Drifting Contact.

Build was primarily made for Ice Chroma tanking for survivals (please note that i am only MR 7 atm so i dont have access to weapons like Galatine Prime) and it was made to make most of both its decent crit and status chances. The reason i went with Viral instead of Corrosive is because from my understanding Viral stacks with itself not only lowering enemy hp but also making Condition Overload giving me more bonus dmg (someone confirm this please).

1. Please rate ;)

2. Should i swap Fury for Berserker and any other stance you would recommend instead of Blind Justice (i got them all).

3. I am going for Vaykor Hek but i still got ways to go in both influence and MR for that so what is a good alternative for primary that is either farmable without going crazy or not overpriced in plat (wanted Soma Prime but its expensive!)? Using Paris Prime atm and while i love its dmg potential from each shot its just not suited for either survival missions or lower lvl missions where other weapons clean weak mobs a LOT faster.

4. What is the most reliable way to farm credits?

5. When trading stuff like Primed mods that cost 1 million tax who pays the tax buyer or seller?

6. I hear that focus is getting reworked and that we will get focus back to spend it again but will lenses also be returned and will we be able to pick our school again since i hear they are doing some major changes (no more infinite energy regain)?

7. Does focus gain from lenses stack? For example if i equip lense on my secondary but i dont use it will i get focus? Same for warframe if i equip lense on warframe but i dont use abilities do i get focus from it?

Edited by Gromzok

1. Seems fine, I would use corrosive instead of viral but to each his own.  Blind justice is good but so is tranquil cleave so you need to try them both and decide which suits you better.

2. Yes, use berserker instead.  If you had primed fury you could make the case that consistent attack speed is better than higher but variable attack speed.  But with the regular fury that case can't be made (IMO).

3. The regular Hek with the augment mod is as good if not better than the vaykor unless you have a nearly maxed primed ravage. 

4. High level dark sector defenses or survivals.  Play one set of 5 waves or 5 minutes and extract.  High level means Pluto, Sedna, or Eris but you can add Ceres to this list for just this corner case.  Ceres used to be the highest Grineer planet so it has really high dark sector credit rewards.  Using a secura lecta helps but they nerfed it hard enough that it isn't a must have any more. 

5. Buyer

6. They've made a comment that they'd consider lenses in this but I think the safe bet is that they don't touch those.  Where you have them installed today is where they'll stay after the rework.  That is how I'm expecting it and if they do a 180 and put all my lenses into inventory to re-use then that's just a bonus.