Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1 Day Wait Between Mastery Tests Needs To Be Removed.

Kanacora

So this is how the story goes. I finaly get to mastery 6 and im doing the test, lotus tells me to shoot the targets. But not what ones and i fail. but instead of retaking the test i have to wait a day to re take it. This pisses me off because players spend so much time leveling up frames and weapons to get their next mastery level just to find out they need to wait another day. and in that day im guessing all the items you level up dont go twards your next mastery rank.

Actually they still do, so you can keep playing and still receive mastery for the next level. also for the mastery 6 test you should be aiming for a white orb that appears, it'll fly to another spot(with a trail so you know where) and you have to catch it again. pretty sure the camera locks onto the first one too, so not sure now you might miss it.

To reiterate what others have said, you keep gaining mastery after you fail. Further, in test 6 your avatar is physically turned to face the first orb you have to shoot, from there a line leads to the next orb and so on. It is bloody obvious what you have to shoot IF you are paying attention, having reset my account, I passed the test for a second time a few days ago and it was still as easy as the first.

To reiterate what others have said, you keep gaining mastery after you fail. Further, in test 6 your avatar is physically turned to face the first orb you have to shoot, from there a line leads to the next orb and so on. It is bloody obvious what you have to shoot IF you are paying attention, having reset my account, I passed the test for a second time a few days ago and it was still as easy as the first.

It's not obvious, though. If a user's mousing around quickly, they're not going to notice the camera snapping. Additionally, Lotus doesn't actually say "shoot the WHITE targets", she simply says "shoot the targets". A high-pressure timed test shouldn't require critical reasoning and inference on the user's part to understand what the directions are. They should be laid out in concrete terms.

It's not obvious, though. If a user's mousing around quickly, they're not going to notice the camera snapping.

See below...

Do yourself a favor, and look up the mastery test you are about to take. Watch a youtube video or something, it does help a lot.

^^ This. So much. You have the entire internet at your disposal, don't use it all at once.

I'm in favor of keeping the wait period, and yes, I have failed a rank test.

Or if you are in favor of "no spoilers" then you face this ^^.

It is a test !

There should be some consequence if you do not pass ! If you could just retake it immediately what would be the point of the test in the first place?

And yes I have failed a test and had to wait a day. (I'm one of the brilliant ones that stayed in the circle during my first test :p )

Edited by Carcharias

snip
snip

So you're suggesting that instead of creating a more streamlined and informative test instruction that DE should rely on their users to instead go and study for each mastery test in advance? I'm sorry, but that's absolutely laughable. That's not good game design at all. Please tell me you don't expect each and every player to go to a wiki or Youtube video to understand how to pass a small section of the game just because the in-game instruction might not be adequate or there might be a bug that renders the test impossible that they might need to be aware of in advance.

Edited by hiryu64

Don't you just hate it when then is a consequence for failure. These tests need to be changed to be more fun. Maybye call it happy fun time. It can be based of attendance rather than performance. No Tenno left behind. 

Also, you do not need to go study for it, you do need some off the cuff skill. And if you fail you try again. You could take some pride in finally acomplishing a difficult task. Or just have it handed to you. 

Edited by crow-k

So you're suggesting that instead of creating a more streamlined and informative test instruction that DE should rely on their users to instead go and study for each mastery test in advance? I'm sorry, but that's absolutely laughable. That's not good game design at all. Please tell me you don't expect each and every player to go to a wiki or Youtube video to understand how to pass a small section of the game just because the in-game instruction might not be adequate or there might be a bug that renders the test impossible that they might need to be aware of in advance.

That wasnt what I said. It was just a help so he wouldnt have as much trouble the next time. Give me a break lol.

That wasnt what I said. It was just a help so he wouldnt have as much trouble the next time. Give me a break lol.

Heh, fair enough. I guess I unfairly lumped you in with Carcharias, maybe even read into what you said a little too much. Still, I believe my point stands. While it's certainly helpful to look up the test in advance, it's a poor substitute for an actually well-designed test instruction, and by no means should it be necessary to do so.

Edited by hiryu64

I have never failed a Mastery test. And I went in blind, and carried the Kunai for my MR6 test it was a random choice and opting for the strongest loadout I have. But I have perused the forums and read about the "chasing glowing dots" mastery test when it first came out, and how someone remarked that you only needed to shoot the final target in the sequence. I'd personally love to have this test be a Dojo attachment, it was to me the most fun of all the tests I've done so far.

It's not obvious, though. If a user's mousing around quickly, they're not going to notice the camera snapping. Additionally, Lotus doesn't actually say "shoot the WHITE targets", she simply says "shoot the targets". A high-pressure timed test shouldn't require critical reasoning and inference on the user's part to understand what the directions are. They should be laid out in concrete terms.

A high-pressure situation requires a calm mind and a controlled body. Observe, wait, and react.

The fact that the camera snaps to the first target is good enough for me, so I don't miss it if it happens to be directly behind me.

And is it bad that a game doesn't hold your hands for everything and requires you to look around outside of the game for information? So many players before you have passed MR6 test, did it not occur to you to ask around what you might be facing, or consult the wiki which has all the tests documented?

Heh, fair enough. I guess I unfairly lumped you in with Carcharias, maybe even read into what you said a little too much. Still, I believe my point stands. While it's certainly helpful to look up the test in advance, it's a poor substitute for an actually well-designed test instruction, and by no means should it be necessary to do so.

Yeah several people have had problems with a few of the tests because they werent specific enough.

And is it bad that a game doesn't hold your hands for everything and requires you to look around outside of the game for information? So many players before you have passed MR6 test, did it not occur to you to ask around what you might be facing, or consult the wiki which has all the tests documented?

Um...yeah. It's bad if you have to look outside a game to know what to do inside the game. It's bad design. I don't know how else I can say this. It's one thing to have information available outside of the game to supplement the experience, but it shouldn't be required. Even older games (which, on the whole, were not as well-designed as today's games) had manuals included with the game. A wiki is hardly analogous.

Clear instruction is not hand holding. That's preposterous.

Um...yeah. It's bad if you have to look outside a game to know what to do inside the game. It's bad design. I don't know how else I can say this. It's one thing to have information available outside of the game to supplement the experience, but it shouldn't be required. Even older games (which, on the whole, were not as well-designed as today's games) had manuals included with the game. A wiki is hardly analogous.

Clear instruction is not hand holding. That's preposterous.

But it's a well known fact to players that Warframe is lacking in guidance. We already know that it doesn't teach/tell us most things in game, so why would this one test be an exception?

Yes I concede the point that a perfectly designed game would eliminate the need of looking outside of it for information, but Warframe is not a perfect game. The DEvs themselves mentioned that they initially wanted to just make pick-up PvE game, hinting at how poorly designed the game will be even at the outset as it would just be a pet project, instead of a full-blown game. In a perfect world, Warframe would have a complete, exhaustive tutorial which teaches new players everything they need to know. But in that same perfect world, it'd be titled Dark Sector and would already be released at 2006.

Wiki and forum is the modern-day analogue of a game manual. It contains all  the detailed weapon or warframe stats, boss fight strategies, useless trivia, small typoes and mistaken information, just like a comprehensive game manual would. When was the last time you saw a game ship with actual manuals after the advent of game forums and wiki spaces?

You can go in the game blind and learn things step by step, or peruse the forums and look it up on the wiki.

How did anyone fail the mastery tests? The wallrunning one I can understand because of how buggy wallrunning can be, but the target shooting test tells you to shoot a target, a orb lights up. If you shoot that orb that is obviously different from the other orbs it will make a trail to the next target. The room is intentionally all black to contrast what to attack, like the first tutorial where it's all white and the enemies shaded black.

Literally the only way you can fail the target test is if you never shot the first target.

Considering the paucity of the rest of the instructions, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the tests are info-poor. I'll certainly be studying for my next test!