Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loadouts? We Don' Need No Stinkin' Loadouts!

notionphil

Update - Loadouts and Hotswapping made it into the game as of update 10 (IIRC). I'm not saying this thread had anything to do with that, but I'm not saying it didn't either :P

There's much talk of loadouts and UI and swapping mod sets and saving and loading and.....wooooa there silver, way too complicated. Take a step back. The Gear Slots we put mods in almost exactly correspond with the Mod Sets we have. This is a logic problem - not a UI problem.

Gear Slots:

Frame, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Sentinel

Mod Sets:

Frame, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Sentinel, Sentinel Weapon.

Hotswapping

Within one type of Gear Slot, there is no need to 'remove' mods from your bar to put them in another piece of gear. If I put my 9 Serration in a rifle, I can also put it in any other rifle.

Why? Because my Tenno is a brilliant tactical mastermind and he realizes that he should take it out of the first rifle at mission time, and put it in the second rifle. That is Hotswapping. Mods can be used infinitely within a single Gear Slot.

EX: I can put my single Split Chamber in all of my rifles, because I can only use one rifle at a time.

How Will Hotswapping Work?

Almost exactly how the current system works. You'll drag a mod to any piece of gear, it will stick there.

However, Instead of being removed from the mod pool, the mod will be marked with the icon of the Gear Slot, similar to the 'equipped' icon in your Fusion menu. Putting a mod in a rifle slot will mark it with a Rifle, etc.

Since you can't use 2 items from the same Gear Slot at a time, there is no overlap. A mod used in a Secondary slot can also be used in any other secondary slot - because your Tenno can only equip one Secondary at a time anyway.

What Happens With Sentinel Weapons (or other Sets TBA which use overlapping mod pool)

My Tenno only has one Serration 9, so he can't use it in his sentinel's rifle while it's currently in his rifle. Duh! Once he puts the Serration 9 in any rifle Slot, it's marked with a little red RIFLE. That way, when he goes to his sentinel weapon screen, he realizes he can't use it!

He will need a second serration for his sentinel weapon Slot.

However, he if he prefers, he can still drag the Serration 9 over to his sentinel rifle, He'll get a confirm dialog, and it it will be removed from all of his rifle Slots and put it in his sentinel weapon Slot.

Can We Still use Loadouts?

YES! If the dev's decide to implement loadouts, Hotswapping makes them even more logical. Do soldiers sit around with their guns in the cabinet, loaded? No, they are disassembled and cleaned. So would ours be.

Any mod used in a build would simply be marked with the appropraiate Gear Slot. Very simple. You wouldn't need to 'clean out all of your equipped mods' in order to assemble your builds. Hotswapping implies that mods would be inserted into missions at mission time.

Edited by notionphil

The only problem I see with this system is that people don't necessarily want to use the same loadout for two different weapons. I wouldn't want to use the same mods for Twin Vipers and Akbolto or Snipetron and Braton, for example.

Edit: Please ignore the above, I was stupid.

Edited by Botskiz

That's still annoying, having to swap mods from one weapon to another.

I'd rather have loadouts, so I can pick from different tactical loadouts for the mission I want to play. 

You wouldn't have to swap mods from one weapon to another. Once it's in a rifle, you can use it in any other rifle. This would also work with loadouts if the dev's build them.

JRMC, it's almost the exact same thing. I see what you mean but at the moment there isn't much variety or usefulness in the utility to mods to make a difference BETWEEN missions. In general if your weapon has a resonable reload time and clip size, you're not going to have anything but all of the damage mods and maybe a utility mod.

To be honest if we get loadouts we should get this system too.

Botskiz, the OP means that you construct the loadout on a per weapon basis, not on a "one build fits all" basis. You go into your arsenal, kit out your twin vipers how you want, then kit out your akbolto how you want - and it sticks that way even if the builds are different. When you swap primary/secondary/melee weapons that design you loaded that particular weapon with is static and is loaded in.

The only problem I see with this system is that people don't necessarily want to use the same loadout for two different weapons. I wouldn't want to use the same mods for Twin Vipers and Akbolto or Snipetron and Braton, for example.

Something must be unclear in my post lol...you would put your loadouts together however you want. The only difference from current system is if you use it in any rifle, you can still use it again in any other rifle. same with secondary, frame, etc.

JRMC, it's almost the exact same thing. I see what you mean but at the moment there isn't much variety or usefulness in the utility to mods to make a difference BETWEEN missions. In general if your weapon has a resonable reload time and clip size, you're not going to have anything but all of the damage mods and maybe a utility mod.

To be honest if we get loadouts we should get this system too.

Botskiz, the OP means that you construct the loadout on a per weapon basis, not on a "one build fits all" basis. You go into your arsenal, kit out your twin vipers how you want, then kit out your akbolto how you want - and it sticks that way even if the builds are different. When you swap primary/secondary/melee weapons that design you loaded that particular weapon with is static and is loaded in.

thanks for explaining, yes that is what is intended.

You wouldn't have to swap mods from one weapon to another. Once it's in a rifle, you can use it in any other rifle. This would also work with loadouts if the dev's build them.

So, let me see if I get this straight:

You're suggesting that the same mod can be used in different weapons?

So, let me see if I get this straight:

You're suggesting that the same mod can be used in different weapons?

As long as they are the same Gear Slot(ex: Primary). Why? Because you can only use one rifle at a time.

You're not actually putting the mod in your rifle. You're making a 'build' which your Tenno puts together in real time right before the mission, hence Hotswapping.

Cuts down on mod reshuffling 100%.

Something must be unclear in my post lol...you would put your loadouts together however you want. The only difference from current system is if you use it in any rifle, you can still use it again in any other rifle. same with secondary, frame, etc.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. The "one Gear Slot" confused me, as it made me think you suggested some sort of global mod system for each category. As in, whatever you put into the global mod slots would be used for every item of that category. Which would be quite stupid for Warframe abilities and completely screw different polarity layouts as well, now that I think about it.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my first comment :).

Edited by Botskiz

worst thing of the current system is that you see All "Serrations" and not only those who have points in and ONE empty one.

Switching all mods if you change warfram can be rly annoying but tha actual SEARCH for the mods in a small box with ~60 pages makes it so ****** that i actually don't want to switch alot between frames...

i have about 80++ pages for my warframe...

whatever idea should be good if this will make us, the player, life easier...

though... currently DE can just implement this TYPE/NAME/RATING/PRICE like what they did to in the mod' page.

arsenal' below mod window, a bunches of arranging methods.

put this to weapon/warframe' modification, would save us for awhile.

Edited by KaoKill123

IMO, mods should be in this giant list, and mods should be automatically unequipped if you swap weapons, warframes, or sentinels.

Equipping any weapon/warframe/sentinel should automatically bring up the mod screen where you can stick these mods in to what you want.

Some people might complain about having to set their mods each time, but eh, I think it'd be better than trying to remember which thing has what mod.

"Oh where'd I put that maxed Split Chamber again....." and having to equip and unequip each Rifle until you finally find it. Then you have to unequip the mod, then equip the gun you want, then put the mod in the gun...... that's a lot of work.

I'd rather pool all of my mods so that I can choose the best anytime I set out.

I probably have like 5-6 Rank4-5 Redirections. If I pooled all them together I bet I'd have a Rank 6 at least. I do that because I hate having to unequip mods every time I want to swap Warframes. But some mods are too rare to do this with, like Streamline. I have to take my Streamline off whatever warframe I was using, and put it on whatever Warframe I'm about to equip.

We could make this an option... "Unequip Mods whenever you change equipment".

I'd LOVE that.

I'd use that in a heartbeat.

IMO, mods should be in this giant list, and mods should be automatically unequipped if you swap weapons, warframes, or sentinels.

Equipping any weapon/warframe/sentinel should automatically bring up the mod screen where you can stick these mods in to what you want.

Some people might complain about having to set their mods each time, but eh, I think it'd be better than trying to remember which thing has what mod.

"Oh where'd I put that maxed Split Chamber again....." and having to equip and unequip each Rifle until you finally find it. Then you have to unequip the mod, then equip the gun you want, then put the mod in the gun...... that's a lot of work.

I'd rather pool all of my mods so that I can choose the best anytime I set out.

I probably have like 5-6 Rank4-5 Redirections. If I pooled all them together I bet I'd have a Rank 6 at least. I do that because I hate having to unequip mods every time I want to swap Warframes. But some mods are too rare to do this with, like Streamline. I have to take my Streamline off whatever warframe I was using, and put it on whatever Warframe I'm about to equip.

We could make this an option... "Unequip Mods whenever you change equipment".

I'd LOVE that.

I'd use that in a heartbeat.

That is exactly what this idea is, except they don't have to un-equip. They never leave your mod pool in the first place.

So that way, you won't have to 're add' them to the weapon you just un-equipped.

To say it again:

Currently - Mods go into weapon, mods disappear from your mod pool - making it a pain in the &#! to A) pick and set up another weapon B) combine the freaking things when duplicates drop.

Suggestion - Mods go into weapons, but they stay in your mod pool - making it easy to A) Set up all your guns the way you want so you can just switch guns when you in the arsenal screen without the pallava of unslotting one gun and then slotting up another B) Makes it easier to combine cards and see your sweet sweet mod card score at the top right *hurrah*

One simple change. That is all it is. Mods stay in your mod pool, and do not get removed once slotted into a weapon.

HOWEVER: I have just thought of an issue OP, if you have a bunch of weapons all slotted up and at different levels - when you start combining cards it may go over the maximum mod power of one of the guns you have slotted. Thus making that a pain in the &#!. It could notify you that X weapon is going over it's mod power limit and allow you to go swap out mods there and then on that gun I suppose.

HOWEVER: I have just thought of an issue OP, if you have a bunch of weapons all slotted up and at different levels - when you start combining cards it may go over the maximum mod power of one of the guns you have slotted. Thus making that a pain in the &#!. It could notify you that X weapon is going over it's mod power limit and allow you to go swap out mods there and then on that gun I suppose.

Great issue to bring up. This will also affect loadouts, no matter how the Dev's implement it. This will need to be resolved regardless of how the mod tangle is solved.

I think the easiest way to handle this would be that whenever you go to the Mod Fusion screen, it gives a list with loadouts that this mod is currently a part of and how many mod slots remain.

Ignis : 0

Grakata : 5

Ogris : 2

As you add levels, it just removes the mod from any which can no longer contain it.

Ignis : not enough mod slots - will be unequipped if fused

Grakata : 4

Ogris : 1

Personally, I think the mod system should be "click a space to open up a list of potential mods that could fit in that space", with point cost and available points taken into account on what mods even show up, with ranked mods at the front to save time on searching for the things you want. We'd only need a single "detach all" button at that point. It would also save the headache of having to flip through 80 pages of mods. It might also go well with mod stacks, which has also been called for often.

I like the idea of loadouts and universal pools, but they're clunky for the way the system works. Removing the drag and drop aspects from it and making it a simple click to do format would be the best solution without having to test a variety of combination and try and come up with interface responses for when something with one weapon happens that another weapon can't handle.

I don't see an issue with the drag and drop system we have now as it makes putting mods in how you like them, or onto polarities very simple.  The OP's first post was a sufficient change.  It would just make things quicker when switching from leveling gear to real gear, or just from different sets for different things.  Currently it can take 3-5 minutes to swap out your frame and 3 weapons.  With all four people in the group swapping around stuff sometimes I'm sitting in the lobby for almost 10 minutes before everyone is ready.

I don't see an issue with the drag and drop system we have now as it makes putting mods in how you like them, or onto polarities very simple.  The OP's first post was a sufficient change.  It would just make things quicker when switching from leveling gear to real gear, or just from different sets for different things.  Currently it can take 3-5 minutes to swap out your frame and 3 weapons.  With all four people in the group swapping around stuff sometimes I'm sitting in the lobby for almost 10 minutes before everyone is ready.

Exactly - my suggestion isn't a complete overhaul. It's a quick fix to make equipping your gear less painful. No reason to frustrate us every single time we change gear, especially if the game's key metric of progress, Mastery, requires changing gear.

This is basically a QoL change, and it removes that "Where the @#.< did I put that mod" moment. If they never leave your pool in the first place it makes modding and upgrading said mods that much easier. And lets face it, we want the challenge in this game to be in the combat, not playing a convoluted game of snap in your arsenal screen.

Edited by J-Pax