Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat (Problems Connecting To Other People)

SonicSonedit

Guys did you notice that sometime you can't connect to other people and they always are "offline" in friend list? That's because both you and that person have STRICT NAT, and you will never be able to play with each other, unless someone else hosts and invites both of you.

I can't play with about 50% of people because they have strict NAT. Yes, we can play together if someone else with public IP hosts, but I can't run void mission if key owner has private IP. Can you fix this please? Warframe is on steam and you can use it to work around this problem - when I played L4D2 or any other game that uses steam lobby system I could host local games and anyone could join me! I don't ask to use steam lobby system but you can check how they fixed it and do the same thing!

I tried to call my provider, they can't help me! And even if they helped me - what about all the other people with NAT out there?

I can see a lot info about 2nd PC and "redirect port in router" but it's not the problem. I don't have any 2nd PC or even router. My providers works this way: STRICT NAT, NO PUBLIC IP, EVER. Only private IP. And a lot of other people have the same problem - Just today I couldn't connect with about 20 people.

Edited by SonicSonedit
  • Like 1

I'm also have "strict NAT" as soon as I start a second or third PC. Boring...

Time to teach some networking basics and keyboard events capturing to Devs, if they are not all out of duty.

More than this, program debugging would be impressive.

Then the answer is quite simple:

The p2p system the game uses is inherently flawed - intolerant of strict NAT, plus the requirement of port forwarding nonsense.

Even if you did everything right in forwarding your ports there are still lots of other factors which cause issues:

- hidden NAT settings for routers
- variance in router configurations amongst players
- draconian ISP restrictions for port forwarding

...and so on.

IDK if the contacts list wasteland issue can or ever will be fixed by DE at this point, honestly. Given that they're releasing the game all by themselves without any publisher probably means they won't have the resources needed for dedicated servers to solve this problem. I'd like to be proven wrong, but for now I can dream.

Edited by Tulzscha
  • Like 1

They released the game. I bought 500 plat and gonna buy again. And a lot of players buy platina daily. They don't need the publisher anymore.

I still hope that they will find some time to re-write a small portion of their net module. God, there are a ton of working solutions out there already!

The net code in this game doesn't need tweaking, it needs a complete overhaul. This strict NAT issue is not a problem with other point-to-point games I've played (I can connect just fine with certain people in other player hosted games but won't connect to them in WF), so it's hard for me to believe that it can't be fixes through improved netcode.

I hope they get off their bums and give it this badly needed overhaul soon. This is too common of a problem for them to keep sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

The net code in this game doesn't need tweaking, it needs a complete overhaul. This strict NAT issue is not a problem with other point-to-point games I've played (I can connect just fine with certain people in other player hosted games but won't connect to them in WF), so it's hard for me to believe that it can't be fixes through improved netcode.

I hope they get off their bums and give it this badly needed overhaul soon. This is too common of a problem for them to keep sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

So very true my friend. Actually, even I can work around strict NAT and I only work with network code for 3 years =\

In the past, I developed some p2p applications (namely some database management tools) and working around strict NAT is not that hard. There are at least 2 simple solution and one best solution.

Edited by SonicSonedit

All I know is every game that I have played that functions this way has NOT had this problem. I have gone through everything in every thread and every link from DE, my wife was a network admin for a school district and can't see a problem on our end. DE you might wanna talk to Nexon about how they fixed this kind of problem for their games.

All I know is every game that I have played that functions this way has NOT had this problem. I have gone through everything in every thread and every link from DE, my wife was a network admin for a school district and can't see a problem on our end. DE you might wanna talk to Nexon about how they fixed this kind of problem for their games.

Exactly the same, I ONLY get this problem in warframe, no matter what fixes I try.

Well I have the same issue and created another thread for it since I am trying to get more help from a specific region. But my friends found a really annoying work around. Who ever can invite everyone with out any problem then he becomes the host, but causes lag at sometimes. So yeah, I hope there is a better way to get around or get this resolved.

I found the solution. Connecting through a VPN, makes we bypass strict nat.

before connecting through VPN: http://i.imgur.com/0oO7ZDS.png

after: http://i.imgur.com/xGGtssi.png

Tried Hamachi, didn't work. And anyway, this is only solution when you play with friends, and very ugly one - friends will have to install the same thing, and not all of them are happy about this.

Tried Hamachi, didn't work. And anyway, this is only solution when you play with friends, and very ugly one - friends will have to install the same thing, and not all of them are happy about this.

Hamahii dont work to me. Use other VPN program connection because hamachi detected strict nat.