Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Popcorn And Grakata

Artistical

Hmmmm. Gotta love popcorn. Just as soon as you buy a bucket of those, it seems to disappear. It is that yummy.

Just like the ammo in the Grataka.

So, I hesitated a lot before posting this thread. I read the sticky about nerfing and all, but I think there's nothing wrong with asking. I don't WANT to play until level 30 just to find out, so maybe someone already has or found things that answer my questions. These questions are:

1.) Way up on level 50 (currently on lvl 30) are there any weapon mods that give something around +50%-100% of max ammo capacity? Maybe ammo regen?

2.) What's the mod that increases damage the most and how much does it add?

I'm writing this here because, in case those answers don't alleviate the issue with the Grakata, which is that it runs out of ammo mid-mission, I think the Grakata is due for a buff. I love accurate weapons. I stuck with the Burston for a lot of time (still use it from time to time) and my main weapon is the Latron. Loving the Latron because of damage, accuracy and range, but also because there's 50 clips of it. For the Grakata, the fun ends too soon given how it is a bullet river with only 8 clips, making it impractical to spray the enemy with pinpoint accuracy of only 9 damage (numbers, which I know were forbidden at the sticky but what the hey: Grakata = 9 damage per bullet = 540 damage per clip. Latron = 40 damage per bullet = 600 damage per clip. So far so good. Grakata = 8 clips = 4320 total potential damage. Latron = 36 clips = 21600) Therefore, a Warframe with a Grakata simply won't be able to deal as much damage as pretty much any other rifle. I just need an answer. Is the Grakata supposed to be some sort of support weapon? An alternative for Warframes who favor melee and sidearms? If so, I think that kind of design choices should be available in the tooltips, because is a bit of a pain buying a blueprint, spend quite a while farming the resources, wait 24 hours and end with this fantastic weapon, accurate and fun to shoot, but  that doesn't last.

Mind you, I have no complains about damage. Mods are there for a reason, But the element that balances out the low damage of the Grakata (Rate of Fire) is, as I see it, crippled by its low ammo capacity.

Thanks for the attention.

Use an ammo efficient secondary and only pull out the grakata when needed. Use Ammo Drum and/or Rifle Scavenger and practice burst firing more often than spraying and praying. You may run out of ammo temporarily but as long as you keep killing things while conserving ammo actively (burst firing, ammo boxes, and using secondary when primary isn't necessary) and passively (through modding) there will most likely be plenty of ammo.

Remember your secondary should always complement your primary. It should be pulling the slack your primary is leaving behind, by being good at what it is bad at.

Pretty sure Ammo Drum is currently the only rifle mod that gives an ammo increase, and that maxes out at 30%
Also, you say "Way up on level 50" do you mean enemy level? if so, mod drops are random and you have obtain the same kind of mods, excluding nightmare mode and void runs.

If you're looking for damage mods, Split Chamber and Serration give the most damage.
Serration is a PURE damage increase.
Split chamber when maxed gives +90% multishot, which is a 90% chance to shoot 2 bullets instead of one, without wasting the second bullet.

Edited by MylesShort

Pretty sure Ammo Drum is currently the only rifle mod that gives an ammo increase, and that maxes out at 30%

Also, you say "Way up on level 50" do you mean enemy level? if so, mod drops are random and you have obtain the same kind of mods, excluding nightmare mode and void runs.

When I say "way up on level 50" I'm asking if the same mods t hat drop on level 30 drop on level 50. Hope I clarified.

Use an ammo efficient secondary and only pull out the grakata when needed. Use Ammo Drum and/or Rifle Scavenger and practice burst firing more often than spraying and praying. You may run out of ammo temporarily but as long as you keep killing things while conserving ammo actively (burst firing, ammo boxes, and using secondary when primary isn't necessary) and passively (through modding) there will most likely be plenty of ammo.

Remember your secondary should always complement your primary. It should be pulling the slack your primary is leaving behind, by being good at what it is bad at.

Currently using Lex, one of the most ammo efficient secondaries, I think. However, gameplay isn't too fun, since both take a lot to reload (Lex is fully modded on level 30). I understand what you say, but making the Grakata a burst fire weapon seems moot given how that's how one manages ammo with the Braton, and the Burston is a burst fire rifle. The RoF becomes wasted, and the low damage doesn't justify switching from the Lex at all, not even for burst damage.

In my opinion, the Grakata needs around 1200 ammo to be the "fun" weapon it was intended to be.

This. Damage is fine, RoF is fine, even clip capacity is fine for me. Just not the ammo maximum. I don't want to spend everything I earn on ammo boxes either...

Currently using Lex, one of the most ammo efficient secondaries, I think. However, gameplay isn't too fun, since both take a lot to reload (Lex is fully modded on level 30). I understand what you say, but making the Grakata a burst fire weapon seems moot given how that's how one manages ammo with the Braton, and the Burston is a burst fire rifle. The RoF becomes wasted, and the low damage doesn't justify switching from the Lex at all, not even for burst damage.

Maybe a medium pistol would suit it better? I know I had some fun with Grakata with Seer/Lato Vandal secondary. I see what you mean about the RoF being wasted but the way I see it, getting semi accurate headshots in quick burst fires would be better than taking full advantage of it's firing speed and as a result losing a lot of ammunition.

If you set it up for specific damage types and factions it can be effective without trashing its ammo reserves.  On the other hand many weapons are effective like that but without the ammo problem.

Maybe a medium pistol would suit it better? I know I had some fun with Grakata with Seer/Lato Vandal secondary. I see what you mean about the RoF being wasted but the way I see it, getting semi accurate headshots in quick burst fires would be better than taking full advantage of it's firing speed and as a result losing a lot of ammunition.

Gonna try the Lato combo, but then again, why get semi-accurate headshots when you can get full blown hits with the Latron? The Grakata starts to shape like a combination of all the other rifles, toned down for balance, and with that toning down evened out with Rate of Fire. As it stands, it doesn't fit on any playstyle nor excels on anything that isn't RoF, which, again, is crippled by ammo capacity.

If you set it up for specific damage types and factions it can be effective without trashing its ammo reserves.  On the other hand many weapons are effective like that but without the ammo problem.

Of course, but, as you said, there isn't the ammo problem. That's what I do with my Latron, set it up. The Grakata just isn't cutting it as an alternative to anything. Burst fire? Burston does it better. Automatic? Braton does it better. Accuracy? Latron does it better. Until you unlock the Gorgon, there is no RoF alternative, and even then, the Grakata is faster. If only the ammo capacity were higher...

When I say "way up on level 50" I'm asking if the same mods t hat drop on level 30 drop on level 50. Hope I clarified.

Yes, mod drops from enemy levels 30-50 should be about the same.

Enemy levels can reach upwards of 130.

I was confused by your wording, and I thought you might have meant level 50 in terms of gear, where gear and frames can only reach level 30.

Mind you, I have no complains about damage. Mods are there for a reason

The problem with that logic is that every mod affects every weapon equally due to them being %-based except for specialized ones like Crit/Critdmg/Thunderbolt. That leads to the conclusion that a relatively terrible weapon won't become a relatively good weapon after the application of mods. It's tied to the base stats.

Aside from the obvious fun-factor of using an incredibly spammy weapon the gun just doesn't have anything going for it.

Edited by 101blubb

Grakata kills enemies exceptionally quickly but runs out of bullets faster than most people would like. Basically it's one of the best room-brooms around as long as you can control the recoil and use controlled bursts. It's DPS scales better than any other weapon but requires at least a forma and a catalyst to get working. The reason for that is that crit mods can make a decent impact on it's high-end potential.

Also, comparing a weapon people use for burst damage over sustability to the most sustainable rifle is kind of not proving anything.

Also, comparing a weapon people use for burst damage over sustability to the most sustainable rifle is kind of not proving anything.

It proved a damn ton if the burst damage rifle has one of the worst DPS in the category...

You get the same stuff from every mission, although there's a slight bias in each faction (grineer should drop more V polarities, corpus more - and infested more frame abilities) and defense missions are a special case, too. They are tiered and each tier gives different rewards.

In my opinion, the Grakata needs around 1200 ammo to be the "fun" weapon it was intended to be.

Grakata with 1200 rounds could still use up all ammo in about 70seconds with both fast hands and speed trigger. That could be fun but it would require ammo packs to even have a chance of refilling.