Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Drastic Change To Melee From Recent Big Patch

Marble-Cake

I've noticed that all melee movesets have been given this really frustrating step forward, it hasn't been added to charge attacks but as it is I cannot use melee reliably without walking PAST the enemy I am trying to attack.  Crouch-attacking no longer has you remain stationary while attacking, which is really what frustrates me most.  I used to use mostly melee attacks and liked to swing whatever weapon I had, but now it is ineffectual impractical and frustrating for me because m warframe now moves dramatically and errectically while swinging their weapon, each time missing the enemy i want to hit,

I'm sure this change to melee has made someone happy soomewhere who perhaps always felt that their emenies were just barely always out of their range, but this person is not me and I would love to see this new lunging addition to melee be togglable or on a slider in options or to atleast be different between weapons so I could just use the weapon with the least lunge.  Jump attacks, slide attacks, and charge attacks all have not suffered this fate yet but I am afraid they will in the future also be given a strange, frustrating change like the addition of lunging to the normal swings.

At the moment I never use melee anymore and I miss.it.  I'm also very curious to know if anyone feels the same.

Melee attacks have always moved you forward AFAIK.

This is true but it wasn't as dramatic pre U9 as it is now. It's a bit jarring but you can get used to it, I think the old distances were fine. I feel like they changed it due to inconsistencies between foot placement and distance moved... I'd rather they be inconsistent or the animations be redone honestly.

Edited by AXCrusnik

I've noticed that all melee movesets have been given this really frustrating step forward, it hasn't been added to charge attacks but as it is I cannot use melee reliably without walking PAST the enemy I am trying to attack.  Crouch-attacking no longer has you remain stationary while attacking, which is really what frustrates me most.  I used to use mostly melee attacks and liked to swing whatever weapon I had, but now it is ineffectual impractical and frustrating for me because m warframe now moves dramatically and errectically while swinging their weapon, each time missing the enemy i want to hit,

I'm sure this change to melee has made someone happy soomewhere who perhaps always felt that their emenies were just barely always out of their range, but this person is not me and I would love to see this new lunging addition to melee be togglable or on a slider in options or to atleast be different between weapons so I could just use the weapon with the least lunge.  Jump attacks, slide attacks, and charge attacks all have not suffered this fate yet but I am afraid they will in the future also be given a strange, frustrating change like the addition of lunging to the normal swings.

At the moment I never use melee anymore and I miss.it.  I'm also very curious to know if anyone feels the same.

This is why orthos is such a popular item, it hits like 270°, so even if you walk past you will still hit your target, and if you hold down the movement key while using it, you can turn at the same time :/

This is why orthos is such a popular item, it hits like 270°, so even if you walk past you will still hit your target, and if you hold down the movement key while using it, you can turn at the same time :/

Additionally because its reach makes placement easier, you can start from further back and not have to worry about moving past the guy right away.  Also because it's well-suited for charge attacks, which seem to lunge forward less than normal ones.  Or maybe that's just my imagination, and all I'm seeing is fewer attacks per second, making it easier to stay in position.

To OP, I still use melee 90% of my kills, but that's with Orthos with a charge attack build.  I'm sad though, the forward lunging really hurt the effectiveness of my Dual Ethers, especially with the left-right-left-right swing animation.  I nearly have to do a 180 on every swing to get my "good" side to connect.   It's not worth the hassle on single target.

The melee works for me.  Try thinking about it differently.  I usually pull my reticle in the direction my swing is moving, so that I step to the side, rather than past him.  Then, as I'm readying my next strike, I snap the reticle around and continue.  This way, I'm stepping across, stepping across, stepping across.  It actually feels fairly realistic, when I'm in practice.  But, this is all preference, though.

I'm coming from a different perspective, here.  I come from games like the new Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and DMC, and on through fighters like DoA, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken.  I also come from hardcore multiplayer FPS's like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena, Halo and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. 

In the hands of an advanced player, these games are the pinnacle of visual action, and require a superhuman level of precision, reflexes and concentration to witness their true gameplay potential.  With that specific collection of training at hand my discovery of Warframe was profound, to say the least.  Here was a game that had finally did what I wanted, combined an accurate, pro-level shooting engine with a fully functional, advanced melee combat system.

And I say 'advanced' because the things I have been able to pull off in this game are nothing short of astounding.  Pinpoint headshots while running along the walls, mid-air 'crouch-melee' slices that cut off heads and take out sentinels, Kogake-launcher/rifle combos that feel like skeet shooting, ridiculous roll/jumproll combinations that get me through entire rooms unscathed.  Wow.  I am constantly floored by this game.  Skill is truly a factor in Warframe, just as I like it.

Which pushes us back to the issue of lack of player skill.  I think if we just forgot for a second about all the Mods and Auras and Forma and Neurodes and just dove into a map on Solo and dug into the nuances of this engine, we'd all find ourselves enjoying this game a lot more. 

It's hilarious when I roll into a pack of Grineer and begin to dissect them, the other Tenno, at times, literally just stand there and watch, as I leaproll into wallruns into lunge attacks into charge attacks into dive shooting (hold RMB to dive while shooting in mid-air) into down thrust slams canceled into blocks and normal melee, all smoothly and without pause.

Here's some tips: 

Turn up your mouse sensitivity.  Practice using this speed until you can look at exactly what you want, without thinking about it.  The reticle should be like you real-life head, i.e; you can look back and identify something and turn back again while running forward. 

Once you get there, you need to think a little differently about how many actions you can do in a second.  It takes most people a full second to turn around in this game.  Unacceptable.  In 1 second, I could leaproll over an enemy, roll back past him to keep him off target, then wavedash (double tap crouch while sprinting) a normal attack back through him.  When you realize this, you see how most enemies are hilariously slow compared to you

But, the complexity can get overwelming, and easily lead to button mashing, which devoles to simpler strategies like just running and shooting.  So, you have to quantify it so it can work for you.  I think of my attack strings as lines through the environment, like a skateboarder.  They rarely just take off riding, usually they have spotted some path that they're going to take, and they have some idea about what they're going to do.  Even if they deviate, they start with that theory of movement.

I'm getting off topic.  All in all, I'm okay with the melee but, I'm also completely fine with a reworking, as well.  Things can always be improved. 

Stay vigilant, Tenno!

The melee works for me.  Try thinking about it differently.  I usually pull my reticle in the direction my swing is moving, so that I step to the side, rather than past him.  Then, as I'm readying my next strike, I snap the reticle around and continue.  This way, I'm stepping across, stepping across, stepping across.  It actually feels fairly realistic, when I'm in practice.  But, this is all preference, though.

This is basically how you get used it to. It wasn't so bad for me as I came from swordfighting in GunZ, which requires a LOT of fancy mousework. Basically in that game the direction you are looking in relation to the direction your opponent was looking affected his ability to block incoming attacks, and you used this to your advantage, or probably died.

advanced melee combat system.

Personally I think it could use some more moves to make it interesting. Although I guess it's kinda hard to match up against the feeling of dominating an opponent with the epitome of finger acrobatics (which DE has said more than once they don't really like finger acrobatics).

Which pushes us back to the issue of lack of player skill.  I think if we just forgot for a second about all the Mods and Auras and Forma and Neurodes and just dove into a map on Solo and dug into the nuances of this engine, we'd all find ourselves enjoying this game a lot more.

I recognized this trait in Warframe from the moment I saw it (coming from many years of swordfighting in GunZ: The Duel) and it's the reason I still play the game now. It may not take skill to win the missions, but damn does it ever to kill them in style!

That said I've gotten used to the length you step forward with each swing, it just seems weird... They say no finger acrobatics then turn melee into mouse acrobatics for the sole purpose of staying on target. At least in GunZ you swung your mouse around like a madman for a tactical advantage. It was quite literally a split second game of rock paper scissors trying to get around someones defense using a charge attack