Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Nightmare Mode: Naked At School!

Llyssa

One of the most common nightmare themes is "naked at school" one. This would be an interesting nightmare mod.

The tenno all start the "Naked at School"(N@S) mission with their frame acting as if it were rank zero, with all skills and weapons disabled.

Special N@S crates appear in the mission, which can be opened by hacking, and will grant affinity orbs. As the tenno accumulate enough affinity, they start unlocking things--their rank 1 bonus, their first weapon(melee), their first power, their rank 2 bonus, their secondary weapon, their 2nd power, rank 3 bonus, their primary weapon, their 3rd power, r4 bonus, r1 of their melee, their ult, r5, r1 of 2ndary, their 1st power's r1 mod upgrade, r6, r1 of primary, 2nd power's r1 upgrade, and so forth.

Perhaps have the order different to reflect the actual requirements of frame rank for skill unlocks.

On the bright side, as they play, they can actually have, for the duration of the mission, a maxed out frame with maxed out stats and maxed out weapons(everything ranking up faster than normal), and maxed out mods, even if they don't normally have them maxed. Everything returns to normal(with the exception of things that gain affinity having gained affinity) after the mission.

On the dark side, until they open enough N@S crates to unlock their melee, they have no actual way to attack anything, and the N@S function being present doesn't actually change much else about the mission--the enemies are still their regular old nightmare mode selves, in their normal patterns and the like.

Haha I was thinking you meant we would show up in mission looking like the Tenno hostages from the rescue missions, completely out of our Warframes (but still with the right gender, of course).....

I think using the hostage skin for N@S mode would be a good way to let people know what's going on, and give it more feeling.

Edited by Llyssa

I think that's a terrible idea.

Nightmare missions on pluto. Suddenly you're all level 0 with none of your mods or abilities. And what was that i heard? rank 0 weapons as well?

I'd like you to take an unmodded ANYTHING, ANYWHERE on pluto and tell me how viable that is. This is completely foolish.

@insomniacOvrLrd: at the point the game is taking an unmodded weapon to any mission shouldn't be a damn problem, if the weapon wrecks face unmodded you shouldn't have to worry about mods to kill things, but if it shoots cotton candy unmodded what does that say about the weapon? it shows how reliant we are on our mods to do the work for us. lets see how powerful our precious Gorgons/Supras are without max serration/AP/Multishot/Elementals up against things that have armor stronger than tanks and triumph, then feel that moment of badassery when we DO finish the mission.

This suggestion would be a legit  challenge, not an easy mode "i'll strap on multishot/Ap/Serration and steamroll these guys"

Edited by LasersGoPewPew

I'm not sure if this is the worst idea I've ever heard but it really, really gets close.

It slows down the gameplay, it makes enemies invulnerable until you collect 30+ special affinity orbs, it makes warframe and weapon modifications completely irrelevant, it becomes basically unplayable on anything past Venus (in nightmare mode damage is tripled, which means you can easily be one-shot in an unranked frame), and it'd require far more coding than, say, just giving enemies upgraded guns.

I'm not sure if this is the worst idea I've ever heard but it really, really gets close.

It slows down the gameplay, it makes enemies invulnerable until you collect 30+ special affinity orbs, it makes warframe and weapon modifications completely irrelevant, it becomes basically unplayable on anything past Venus (in nightmare mode damage is tripled, which means you can easily be one-shot in an unranked frame), and it'd require far more coding than, say, just giving enemies upgraded guns.

I'd like to know where you come up with any of these assumptions?

You do know that you gain affinity from combat and hacking, right? If you're being granted ranks at an accellerated rate(as per the original post), once you have a melee weapon, you should be able to, in theory, get everything from merely hacking your way through all you survey. That wouldn't be the best way, but it should work. Nobody ever said anything about "special" affinity orbs until you did. I'm talking about regular old affinity orbs, and the rank up being cheap enough that grabbing one would make a difference swiftly.

Also, as stated originally, your mods *would* matter, but not until you've unlocked them within the mission.

Enemies are *never* invulnerable to unmodded weapons(with the exception of those times that they're invulnerable to all weapons, like Vor's Golden Bubble!), and you can actually do a lot with unmodded frames if you're creative with your use of terrain--and if you're doing anything at all, you'll be getting your mods back as you go, so you're not "unmodded" on anything but the first few rooms/enemies(unless you're rushing past everything, in which case, you deserve whatever you're getting).

As for coding effort, "stronger weapons" will always be the easiest thing in the world to code, as it takes a single key stroke to do that(add a 1 to the variable determining their damage! Voila! Stronger!), so that's a ridiculous argument. It's also incredibly un-fun. "Oh look, they hit harder-yet, that was such an interesting change!"

The point is that you'd be able to earn your way through the mission, and by the end, be fighting on-par or superior-to your regular build(unless you've power-formaed everything you own, you've got non-max mods equipped). It would require players to be adventurous and skillful, but it by no means would "slow down" gameplay at all. You won't be instantly killing things, if that's what you mean(oh boo hoo, no 1-shots at the start of a nightmare mission!), but you will have MASSIVE incentive to use every available resource to play as strategically and swiftly as possible.

If you're a really horrible player, this idea isn't for you, but then again, neither is nightmare mode. Otherwise, you're over-reacting.

Edit: Also, if you're confused by the idea of special storage crates that need to be hacked, 1: hacking gives you 50 affinity, and 2: if you don't start off with a weapon, you can only open storage lockers(which are relatively rare compared to storage crates). Forcing you to find storage lockers(when some maps can be completely devoid of them) would be horrific. Having added, special storage crates(on top of what already exists) would make things easier.

Edited by Llyssa

Enemies are *never* invulnerable to unmodded weapons

You seem to have images disabled on your browser somehow.

I suggest turning them on again, since while the enemies may not be truly invulnerable, past a certain point they are effectively invulnerable against unmodded weapons.

And that kinda makes earning your way to your original, modded level 30 equipment a tad impossible.

EDIT:

I mean, let's say I get an high level infested nightmare mission with this mode.

wKR3185.png

How the hell am I supposed to fight against this if I don't have any of the really important mods I use to deal with this?

Edited by RealityMachina

I'd like to know where you come up with any of these assumptions?

You do know that you gain affinity from combat and hacking, right? If you're being granted ranks at an accellerated rate(as per the original post), once you have a melee weapon, you should be able to, in theory, get everything from merely hacking your way through all you survey. That wouldn't be the best way, but it should work. Nobody ever said anything about "special" affinity orbs until you did. I'm talking about regular old affinity orbs, and the rank up being cheap enough that grabbing one would make a difference swiftly.

Also, as stated originally, your mods *would* matter, but not until you've unlocked them within the mission.

Enemies are *never* invulnerable to unmodded weapons(with the exception of those times that they're invulnerable to all weapons, like Vor's Golden Bubble!), and you can actually do a lot with unmodded frames if you're creative with your use of terrain--and if you're doing anything at all, you'll be getting your mods back as you go, so you're not "unmodded" on anything but the first few rooms/enemies(unless you're rushing past everything, in which case, you deserve whatever you're getting).

As for coding effort, "stronger weapons" will always be the easiest thing in the world to code, as it takes a single key stroke to do that(add a 1 to the variable determining their damage! Voila! Stronger!), so that's a ridiculous argument. It's also incredibly un-fun. "Oh look, they hit harder-yet, that was such an interesting change!"

The point is that you'd be able to earn your way through the mission, and by the end, be fighting on-par or superior-to your regular build(unless you've power-formaed everything you own, you've got non-max mods equipped). It would require players to be adventurous and skillful, but it by no means would "slow down" gameplay at all. You won't be instantly killing things, if that's what you mean(oh boo hoo, no 1-shots at the start of a nightmare mission!), but you will have MASSIVE incentive to use every available resource to play as strategically and swiftly as possible.

If you're a really horrible player, this idea isn't for you, but then again, neither is nightmare mode. Otherwise, you're over-reacting.

Edit: Also, if you're confused by the idea of special storage crates that need to be hacked, 1: hacking gives you 50 affinity, and 2: if you don't start off with a weapon, you can only open storage lockers(which are relatively rare compared to storage crates). Forcing you to find storage lockers(when some maps can be completely devoid of them) would be horrific. Having added, special storage crates(on top of what already exists) would make things easier.

Okay so what's the Affinity multiplier here? x100? x1,000? Because you need nine hundred thousand Affinity to max a Warframe out. You can gain Affinity with hacking or combat, except you can't fight in combat because the enemies have 800 HP each, have a DPS of 300+, take half damage from non-armor ignore weapons, and basically a single Corpus Crewman could solo your 4-man Tenno squad. Sure, they might not be invulnerable but they might as well be. You need to spray him with your guns for 10 seconds (this is all four of you shooting) to kill him. He can kill you in one, reducing your team's DPS by 25%. The next one, another guy goes down, reducing your team DPS by 50%. In 4 seconds you've lost your entire team to a single Corpus Crewman.

What order do mods unlock in? I know I'd really like my Fast Hands mod to unlock before Serration or Split Chamber! Can mods be unlocked in the middle of a level? Or would it require a completely new and inevitably bugged new function?

Look, if you want to prove this mode would be interesting, play through a high-level nightmare mission with 100% unranked gear and beat the first room you come up into. No, you aren't allowed anything ranked, not even a Sentinel. Youtube it for us, let's see what it looks like. And yes, giving them stronger weapons would be far easier and lazier. It'd also be more fun. You're absolutely right that it's boring and un-fun difficulty. Yet it's more fun than your suggestion and simultaneously take infinity times less effort.

If you can, in fact, defeat a room with more than 1 enemy with Lv0 gear maybe you might have something resembling the start of an argument.