The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Preformance problem w/ Win 10 Fall creator update

NUM3R0UZ

Using i5 4460 + RX580 + 16G ram. 1080p

After applying ver.1709, gpu usage (and sometimes memory clock) start dropping when high enemy count or particle (like Teralyst fight).

Result in FPS drop to 40~35. Temp was around 65~70, which should be fine.

Tune down video setting and it still drops to 40-ish in high enemy count.

Tried clean install graphic driver, clean install beta version graphic driver, close most other program and disable anti-virus and firewall. Nothing works.

But it runs fine on other game (Hitman 2016, Shadow of war). And it runs fine in corpus.outbreak stress test.

Rollback to win10 ver.1703 and everything is fine, 60 fps Teralyst fight on high preset.

But now Win10 is yelling at me to update, anything else I should check after it update itself again?

#Edit:

Memory clock drop also happens in other game. I think it's just dynamic scaling and has nothing to do with the problem.

Update (Solved?) :

Give Fall update another go, with crimson 17.10.1 still has some drops.

But with crimson 17.7.2 it runs fine.

Edited by NUM3R0UZ
Updated/Solved?

Hi NUM3R0UZ,

We have only been able to spend a brief amount of time with the Fall creator update since it is still largely opt-in, but I can assure you we will be spending much more time focusing on it now that Plains of Eidolon has been released. With that said, I have performed some experiments based on your example scenario and there does not yet appear to be anything to indicate that this OS update alone is the problem. 

Did you at any point attempt to verify / optimize your Download Cache after updating Windows 10? The Creators update shouldn't have touched any of your Warframe files, but it would be good to rule out the possibility that this is being caused by something specific to your executable.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

Also, not sure if you tried this, but a more accurate comparison might be playing through the plains solo. There's a chance that other players may have connected or been trying to connect to you while you were experiencing 35-40FPS. While those results are still not ideal, some more precise 1:1 comparisons can help us narrow down the issue even more as it helps prevent false negatives.

If the problem seems to be largely related to high enemy counts then it's likely not going to be your GPU, but instead your CPU. A good way to test this theory is by looking directly at the ground anytime you notice your framerate take a noticeable hit. If you're still experiencing ~30-40fps with the camera aimed at your feet, then chances are this is actually going to be a CPU problem. If that is the case then you may want to take another look at which background applications you have running and try shutting down any unnecessary ones.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri