Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mechanical Keyboards... ;_;

Tauxi

So I've been stuck with a Dell L100 keyboard for a long time now (almost 5 years?). You know, those bland keyboards you get for free?

I've decided to get myself a mechanical keyboard but after doing some research I'm stuck between the choice of blue and brown switches.

I'd try them out for myself but no one I know has any mechanical keyboards (because I have no friends, I guess) and there aren't any stores for me to try them out in, so I thought I'd take a chance and ask you guys which kind you prefer.

TL;DR: Getting a mechanical keyboard. What's your opinion on brown and blues (cherries)?

EDIT:

I'm having trouble finding a keyboard with blue switches and blue backlight that isn't a Ducky Shine. If anyone knows any holla, please.

Edited by Tauxi

i have the blue switches on a razer black widow.

The largest complaint about blue is the volume of the clicks. This i think is an invalid argument as the keyboards i used in middle and highschool (also the standard free ones at the time) are just as loud if not louder. I really love the tactile feel of the click. If i had to describe it, i would have to say the click is very satisfying.  The keys are sensitive enough that you dont have to push the keys all the way down (bottoming out) for the key to register. This for whatever reason has improved my own personal typing skills. at first you'll make alot of mistakes because its new and you aren't used to it.

I don't have experience with brown switches but arent they the ones with no click? If so id recommend blue switches as the click helps with confirmation of the key presses. The overall feel of blue switches is highly satisfactory. The only time ive felt my keyboard was too loud is when im trying to be quiet. BUt in the same manner foot steps are always loud as S#&$ when you're trying to be quiet.

Either decision you make try to not buy into a certain budget. Buy what you like and feel best with. Mechanical keyboards (if taken care of) should last you for most of your life time. I bought my keyboard for 140$ i also don't intend to every need to buy another keyboard and this one feels as if it will out last my own life span. most mechanical keyboards will cost around 100-120$. currently the word on the internet is that DasKeyboard has the number 1 mechanical keyboards. i think steel series and logitech are tied with razer all in second. the Razer black widow is something i would recommend as the finish is nice and the small things shine and make the keyboard feel like your money was well spent.

snip

G900+?

sniiiip~

Right, I've a question which may or may not put a stop to my endless thoughts.

Do you think the clicks from the blue switches will make much of a difference if I'm wearing headphones or does the click give off a nice feeling as well?

G900+?

Right, I've a question which may or may not put a stop to my endless thoughts.

Do you think the clicks from the blue switches will make much of a difference if I'm wearing headphones or does the click give off a nice feeling as well?

the clicky feeling isnt like hard its a soft click and theres no way to hear it through headphones with music on. in ear buds no sound unless your reaaaaaaaly trying to listen for it and i have an over ear headset that i can hear it through somewhat but its very faint. People i've skyped with have also not had a problem with the volume through the mic.

i guess the click and forced needed is about the same or less for button on other devices. like that iphone home button (dont own an iphone but ive pushed the button a few times) and the keys require similar force to push and the iphone isnt clicky. the only way to really describe the click would be short soft (some argue loud but its still a soft click in the fingers) and satisfying. the click helps typing because the response for the fingers and the ears is pretty useful. look up a video on the razer black widow/ razer black widow ultimate edition. there was a guy reviewing the keyboards and he does some arbitrary keyboard hits so you can hear it. he also shows a product you can but to put on the blue switches that dampens the sound further.

ok so in this video he starts talking about the switches @ like 2mins

he also goes into the sound in depth.

in the video hes using the ultimate edn.

the regular black widow is like 40$ less @ 100 $ and is pretty much exactly the same

alot of his nitpicking is just straight OCD and mine (exact same) has not yet suffered the issues his has. Ive been using mine for like 3 months now and other then the mormal skin oils that you cant keep off your S#&$ the keyboard still looks new.

Edited by Zhoyzu

you should seriously consider the Razer Blackwidow 2013.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Blackwidow ultimate but I've seen and heard some people say that Razer boards are over rated. I thought of ignoring the remarks they made until I realised that my whole setup is blue and I'm a little OCD (does that make sense) when it comes to colours.

sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Alright then, noted. Thanks for writing all this out for me.

I mean G710+

So do these come in blue switches, then? I can't seem to find any. :c

I guess after what I've heard here I'm leaning towards the blue switches. Thanks all.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Blackwidow ultimate but I've seen and heard some people say that Razer boards are over rated. I thought of ignoring the remarks they made until I realised that my whole setup is blue and I'm a little OCD (does that make sense) when it comes to colours.

Alright then, noted. Thanks for writing all this out for me.

So do these come in blue switches, then? I can't seem to find any. :c

I guess after what I've heard here I'm leaning towards the blue switches. Thanks all.

Razer's keyboards are VERY solidly built. The issue people seem to have is they think they are over priced. and depending on what you get then yea it might be. The black widow and its tournament editions are priced appropriately (meaning along side competitors).

I would suggest looking into Ducky shine 2 keyboards if you are OCD color schemes, plus a variety of blacklist colors with similar switches.

I would stick with browns because of the clacking does not over power headphones and less force needed to actuate the keys.

Also, are you the Tauxi from Blacklight? O:

Edited by SweetDeArT

snip

Yeah the only reason as to why I'd want the browns is because it's quiet unlike the blue switches which clicky sounds are useless for me as I won't be able to hear them.

I'm really after the Nighthawk x8 (don't know why but it just looks so sexy) but it only comes in brown switches. So I guess that's another big reason for me to go for the browns as getting it in blue switches is only possible if I get a custom X7 which costs another 70 dollars.

I've looked into the Ducky Shine 2 boards and the cost (+the delivery) for me are pretty bad. :c

--

I'm afraid I'm not Tauxi from Blacklight. D: