Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buy Tennogen without re-downloading through steam?

StuffedTurkey007

Question

Goals:

1: Install Warframe via Steam, preferably without re-downloading (since Warframe already installed on my PC)

2: Buy Tennogen content

3: Launch the game without Steam after my purchase is complete without having to re-download. Is this achievable by downloading the installer from https://www.warframe.com/download and choosing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe as the install path? I know this works with Elder Scrolls Online (so I can run via Steam or my Bethesda account) and it's very convenient.

4: Run via Steam again to buy more Tennogen when it comes out without re-downloading

5: Run without Steam

6: Repeat

If I have to re-download once that's fine; I just don't want to do it every time new Tennogen comes out.

3 answers to this question

If your Warframe and Steam accounts are linked, do you actually need to run it through the Steam launcher?  When I've purchased Tennogen it opens a Steam webpage - I login through the Browser and authorize the purchase from my Steam Wallet, and then it switches back to a Warframe page saying "Thank you for the purchase, your items should be available in-game shortly."  The Steam launcher never seems to be involved.

Unless the Steam and non-steam launchers are separate on the servers somehow, I think you just need to be able to authorize the purchase.

As far as launching the game, if you already have a version installed, Steam doesn't really notice or care if you run it.  You could link it to Steam as a non-Steam game.  As far as I know, the difference is how it integrates with the launcher - Steam Games can connect to the launcher for things like Achievements and getting Steam Cards, and to allow the launcher to automatically download updates for some games.  (Automatic updates don't happen for Warframe or some MMOs, all Steam does is execute the launcher, which handles the patches on its own.)  In a small number of cases, you could even make a seperate copy of the game in another folder and run it from there so Steam *doesn't* patch it automatically - I've done this with Kerbal Space Program so that I don't get hit with a surprise update that breaks all my installed mods and savegames.  Again, you lose the Steam integration, but meh.

Well the simplest solution would be to make Tennogen plat instead of steam sales. Our original Tennogen was platinum, and it's platinum on all of the consoles. PC was singled out because... why bother doing anything nice for your original and most important platform?

1 hour ago, Xarteros said:

Well the simplest solution would be to make Tennogen plat instead of steam sales. Our original Tennogen was platinum, and it's platinum on all of the consoles. PC was singled out because... why bother doing anything nice for your original and most important platform?

It was singled out because of something in the legal agreements between Steam, DE, and possibly requirements to allow the content creators to be paid in actual money for transactions being processed through Steam for a game that isn't directly owned by Valve.  I'm not a Tennogen creator, so I don't know the details.  I seem to remember that there is a different arrangement for selling items on consoles, and that this is part of the reason that some Tennogen items are *not* available to consoles - the creators didn't agree to the different set of terms, so the items can't be sold in those stores.