Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concept for Jupiter Landscape (Hear me out)

ClockworkDragon5

ROUGH CONCEPTING FOR A JUPITER LANDSCAPE: HEAR ME OUT (Please note that this isn't really serious, but if DE does take to this idea, it's all theirs)

I know Jupiter is a gas planet, I really do.

Also, I apologise in advance for grammar and spelling errors, I wrote this really quickly.

SKETCHES MIGHT BE COMING SOON

Landscape: Research Biodome 1A, attached to a research center, this is a gigantic Biodome jungle filled with "trees", "flowers", and vast caverns. 

Missions: These missions mainly involve you going out into the biodome, and defending points while things are scanned, delivering data masses to data gathering machines, or taking down evolved versions of the enemies before they develop into a hivemind. Archwing is prohibited, however, there are small hovering mounts that work similarly, except they float just above the ground, and cannot fly. During certain missions, you will be prompted to go into a maintenance area below the jungle, which is accessed through hidden doors in the caverns. This area acts more like the tileset system, and is a large network of corridors and generator rooms. Once you have gotten to at least tier three with the researchers (as a syndicate), you can go down even further to the engine area, to take down Super Powered versions of the evolved enemies that have found there way down there, and have been feeding off the energy from the engines. These encounters are multi stage fights in colossal arena rooms, and instead of the enemy running away, it simply transfers it's consciousness through a network to a new body.

Basic Concept: A colossal research facility in the clouds. Essentially, It is a giant research/data gathering center run by more friendly offshoots of the corpus, and colonists from all over the origin system. The main research area and labs has several shiping bays and docks to bring in or ship away important cargo.

Native People: A blend of people and colonists from all walks of life, (barring the grineer), dedicated to the research and development of many kinds of technology. 

Native Culture: A blend of cultures from the corpus, tenno, myconians, and other colonists. The architecture and technology is mainly corpus in design.

Enemy Types: Modified versions of corpus robotics that have been programmed to act like wild/feral animals. The purpose of the research center is to observe how they act and evolve with each other in a "natural environment. (These enemy types include all variations/subclasses, ie (railgun MOA, Oxium osprey)

• Prototype  MOA
  • Prototype  Ospreys (do not have normal abilities like sapping or exploding, will however, dive bomb or scratch at you with modified talons)
  • Prototype  Bursas
  • Evolved (feral) versions of the previously stated enemies, which are much smarter and more powerful.
  • quadroped drones (shown in a previous devstream)

In addition, all of these enemies hunt in packs, and often stay near water or shelter for "safety", as they act similarly to animals

Quirks/Points of Interest: You can acquire augments and new mods from the researchers there, merchants sell 

Mechanics: The labs have augmentations/ craftable Primary weapons (modular systems). Technological augments for your operator, which are called "Endurance Arcanes"

These arcanes add power efficiency, sprint speed/movement speed, etc. (Kinda Idea: Corpus themed AMPS which focus more on rapid fire or shotgun style weaponry)

Resources: 

• Synthetic Arbora: Vine-like strands of circuitry that attach directly to the sensor arrays throughout the landscape
  • Carbon Zirconite (Red, Blue, Yellow): Carbon based diamond like gems that form in the engines due to high heat and pressure.
  • Nano Silica: Tiny chips embedded throughout rocks
  • Cyyroca Shells: Metal shells from the large (meter long), insectoid robotics that often hide in the bushes
  • Condensed Gasses: Glass orbs filled with condensed gas that is used to power some of the robotics
  • Strange Data (Tier one, Two, and Three): Drops from robotics that have gained a sort of "half life sentience", you may turn these in to the researchers for them to study, in return for standing
  • Energy Feeds: Couplings found in evolved enemies that allow the absorption of heat and electricity (similar to eidolon shards)
  • Crystalline nanites: Synthetic crystals able to channel energy that reproduce and grow on themselves to make a single network
  • A few resources from POE fishing (charc electroplax, Goopalla spleen ETC). 
  • All normal Jupiter Resources
Edited by ClockworkDragon5

I really like this idea, but while I realize the necessity of having new resources, I hope this new open landscape would be better integrated with the rest of the star chart. Currently, in POE I feel as if I can only farm POE resources in POE, and must dedicate time there, and outside the plains in other nodes, which can be difficult for someone who doesn't have much time or is a weekend warrior.

Could this be a facility found on Phobos?

I really like the idea presented here, just wonder if the venue would work better on Phobos, and give the node a new reason for the constant fighting there?

Like an accidental crash into an area of the facility exposed it to the Corpus troops above in ships and on the surface. Unaware of the facility until now, the locals now need Tenno help to secure their future against the imminent threat posed by the Corpus presence on Phobos.

Afterall, Phobos is a very small satellite compared to Ceres, Europa, Sedna and Eris, so it can't be about resources available on Phobos compared to the rest:

Spoiler

ik9TYiX.jpg

NFSjCnL.jpg

Edited by SPARTAN-187.Thanatos
spoiler tag and confusion reduction

5 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

I really like the idea presented here, just wonder if the venue would work better on Phobos, and give the node a new reason for the constant fighting there?

Like an accidental crash into an area of the facility exposed it to the Grineer and Corpus fighting above in ships and on the surface. Unaware of the facility until now, the locals now need Tenno help to secure their future against the imminent threat posed by the Grineer and Corpus on Phobos.

Afterall, Phobos is a very small satellite compared to Ceres, Europa, Sedna and Eris, so it can't be about resources available on Phobos compared to the rest:

Id say since the Plains of Eidolon are grineer based, there should be a primarily corpus based area as well for balance reasons. Either a corpus-focused area should be made first or this shouldn't include the grineer.

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Id say since the Plains of Eidolon are grineer based, there should be a primarily corpus based area as well for balance reasons. Either a corpus-focused area should be made first or this shouldn't include the grineer.

Sure, as Phobos is controlled by the Corpus now, with the Grineer having the occasional invasion atm, I was going by its Cephalon fragment description:

Phobos has always been a highly contest area. Skirmishes between the tireless Grineer and Corpus factions occur in orbit and on the Martian moon surface. Unanswered questions about this natural satellite still remain as all research is endlessly delayed by war.

So keeping the Grineer out of it would easily work for a new free roam there.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Sure, as Phobos is controlled by the Corpus now, with the Grineer having the occasional invasion atm, I was going by its Cephalon fragment description:

So keeping the Grineer out of it would easily work for a new free roam there.

Yes, but as you made it out the grineer would be just as present as the corpus, making the explorable area be a mix rather than one faction. Thats why I said that the next area I feel would best be set as one faction, the Corpus, as PoE added a significant number of new Grineer units to the game and the Corpus need their expansion as well.

3 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Yes, but as you made it out the grineer would be just as present as the corpus, making the explorable area be a mix rather than one faction. Thats why I said that the next area I feel would best be set as one faction, the Corpus, as PoE added a significant number of new Grineer units to the game and the Corpus need their expansion as well.

If you say so.

1 hour ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Like an accidental crash into an area of the facility exposed it to the Corpus troops above in ships and on the surface. Unaware of the facility until now, the locals now need Tenno help to secure their future against the imminent threat posed by the Corpus presence on Phobos.

Reveal hidden contents

ik9TYiX.jpg

NFSjCnL.jpg

The phobos Idea makes sense, however the floating gas city fits the biodome Idea a bit better, and is a bit more realistic, as most of the robotics production is located on Jupiter.

2 hours ago, Diarmut said:

I really like this idea, but while I realize the necessity of having new resources, I hope this new open landscape would be better integrated with the rest of the star chart. Currently, in POE I feel as if I can only farm POE resources in POE, and must dedicate time there, and outside the plains in other nodes, which can be difficult for someone who doesn't have much time or is a weekend warrior.

That's a good point, but these area specific resources would drop in addition to normal resources found on jupiter, kinda like in POE

1 minute ago, ClockworkDragon5 said:

The phobos Idea makes sense, however the floating gas city fits the biodome Idea a bit better, and is a bit more realistic, as most of the robotics production is located on Jupiter.

Could this have been a facility that was intended to terraform Mars?

Start small in a controlled biodome to prevent the damage seen on Earth happen all over again on Mars. The Orokin could have gotten overthrown before going to the next phase in their plans, and then the facility struggles alone to survive on its own ever since? Here there can still be a unique group of people that call this place home.

I could see the interest in tinkering with the plants from Earth, and the researchers needing and/or wanting something for the plants to interact with, and thus developed the robots used in the facility for that purpose? Kinda like pollinators along with other possible and necessary roles in a self contained biome.

At least that's what I was imagining from your description in the OP.

Jupiter is the site of extensive mining operations, and so I had imagined existing maintenance robotics systems were there to maintain the facilities automatically and remotely. I've imagined that the Corpus added weapons to the robotics, to hold off the Grineer and later Tenno and then began selling the new creations once the Orokin had fallen.

So that's why a free roam on Jupiter, I'd love to see more with the floating towers of the Gas City tileset be a basis for Jupiter's Free Roam node, which in turn, is why I feel that Phobos is a decent alternative for hosting this idea and asked.

4 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Could this have been a facility that was intended to terraform Mars?

Start small in a controlled biodome to prevent the damage seen on Earth happen all over again on Mars. The Orokin could have gotten overthrown before going to the next phase in their plans, and then the facility struggles alone to survive on its own ever since? Here there can still be a unique group of people that call this place home.

I could see the interest in tinkering with the plants from Earth, and the researchers needing and/or wanting something for the plants to interact with, and thus developed the robots used in the facility for that purpose? Kinda like pollinators along with other possible and necessary roles in a self contained biome.

At least that's what I was imagining from your description in the OP.

Jupiter is the site of extensive mining operations, and so I had imagined existing maintenance robotics systems were there to maintain the facilities automatically and remotely. I've imagined that the Corpus added weapons to the robotics, to hold off the Grineer and later Tenno and then began selling the new creations once the Orokin had fallen.

So that's why a free roam on Jupiter, I'd love to see more with the floating towers of the Gas City tileset be a basis for Jupiter's Free Roam node, which in turn, is why I feel that Phobos is a decent alternative for hosting this idea and asked.

I'm not sure how well I conveyed my ideas, which may have lead to your confusion, but what I was thinking is that the researchers are studying these machines as they evolve. The robotics have been specifically programmed to evolve incredibly quickly, and thus the Alpha versions with the best evolutionary traits will be regarded as the best choice for mass production. However, some robotics evolve past that point, and become self aware (not to the level of the Sentients, but smart enough to know what is going on around them), these self aware robotics pose the threat of corrupting the hivemind that connects other machines to each other, and therefore must be destroyed.

Edited by ClockworkDragon5

While I do like this as a concept, I think that the theme would be off for the Corpus. A research facility with biodomes, yeah, I love that as a part of it. But here's a thought... How about bigger?

On Jupiter we get a massive research center in the clouds, the large area of cobbled-together stations that creates a massive landscape, where instead of having camps that the Corpus inhabit, you have shipping areas where the Corpus load and unload (like the Vauban Prime trailer). There are biodomes where research into wildlife or experimental living areas are the 'caves' that you can jump into and find resources, and in addition to these there are refineries and other factory installations that we can visit and enter in the same way.

Beyond that, rather than the 'feral' enemy type, why not the prototype Corpus units that were previewed in an earlier DevStream?

DS90-Corpus-Units-2-1024x576.jpg

warframe__corpus_arachnoids_wraith_and_c

DS90-Corpus-Units-1-1024x576.jpg

Some of these are designed to be the size of moas, some the size of the grineer Ogma units.

I mean, of course there would still be moas and drones and so on, because why wouldn't there be? But there's some really interesting things in the works.

So yeah, bigger! I'm fairly certain that DE would be thinking bigger.

4 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

While I do like this as a concept, I think that the theme would be off for the Corpus. A research facility with biodomes, yeah, I love that as a part of it. But here's a thought... How about bigger?

On Jupiter we get a massive research center in the clouds, the large area of cobbled-together stations that creates a massive landscape, where instead of having camps that the Corpus inhabit, you have shipping areas where the Corpus load and unload (like the Vauban Prime trailer). There are biodomes where research into wildlife or experimental living areas are the 'caves' that you can jump into and find resources, and in addition to these there are refineries and other factory installations that we can visit and enter in the same way.

Beyond that, rather than the 'feral' enemy type, why not the prototype Corpus units that were previewed in an earlier DevStream?

DS90-Corpus-Units-2-1024x576.jpg

warframe__corpus_arachnoids_wraith_and_c

DS90-Corpus-Units-1-1024x576.jpg

Some of these are designed to be the size of moas, some the size of the grineer Ogma units.

I mean, of course there would still be moas and drones and so on, because why wouldn't there be? But there's some really interesting things in the works.

So yeah, bigger! I'm fairly certain that DE would be thinking bigger.

The only reason I'm hesitant to do that, is because the drones might have a future purpose that we are not aware of. As the next landscape will probably be on venus,which is corpus controlled. These quadrupeds might be featured there.

5 minutes ago, ClockworkDragon5 said:

The only reason I'm hesitant to do that, is because the drones might have a future purpose that we are not aware of. As the next landscape will probably be on venus,which is corpus controlled. These quadrupeds might be featured there.

Exactly! If they're going to become a regular unit, then why wouldn't they be on the rest of these? The whole point of landscapes is that they're bigger, with towering monsters and mountains and caves... We could have our 'boss' there be a huge, experimental spider bot that's being corrupted by Hunhow, where defeating it grants you the same kind of resources, that an Eidolon would (for continuity with resource gains), and forces Hunhow out of it until the following day. Something like that, at least, would be possible with these.

While on the other hand, 'feral' machinery... especially on a Corpus maintained and carefully controlled biome? That doesn't seem very likely for our uptight control freaks.

But! I still like the biodomes as an idea. The gas giant wouldn't have natural landscapes unless it's brought there, I just feel that we would be completely missing a trick if there weren't any installation outside of the domes we could explore. and I can't help but think that the ability to leap up onto and down from towers and buildings into the Corpus locations... That would be sweet. Get our Assassin's Creed on, as it were.

The other consideration is that we currently have open-to-atmosphere gas giant tiles, why not make use of all those resources? The edge of the map, therefore, really would be an edge, surrounded by a shielded area like the plains that, if you flew outside of it, the high winds would rip your archwing apart and reset you. Think of the incredible Skybox potential...

44 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

Exactly! If they're going to become a regular unit, then why wouldn't they be on the rest of these? The whole point of landscapes is that they're bigger, with towering monsters and mountains and caves... We could have our 'boss' there be a huge, experimental spider bot that's being corrupted by Hunhow, where defeating it grants you the same kind of resources, that an Eidolon would (for continuity with resource gains), and forces Hunhow out of it until the following day. Something like that, at least, would be possible with these.

While on the other hand, 'feral' machinery... especially on a Corpus maintained and carefully controlled biome? That doesn't seem very likely for our uptight control freaks.

But! I still like the biodomes as an idea. The gas giant wouldn't have natural landscapes unless it's brought there, I just feel that we would be completely missing a trick if there weren't any installation outside of the domes we could explore. and I can't help but think that the ability to leap up onto and down from towers and buildings into the Corpus locations... That would be sweet. Get our Assassin's Creed on, as it were.

The other consideration is that we currently have open-to-atmosphere gas giant tiles, why not make use of all those resources? The edge of the map, therefore, really would be an edge, surrounded by a shielded area like the plains that, if you flew outside of it, the high winds would rip your archwing apart and reset you. Think of the incredible Skybox potential...

A: That makes sense, and drones could fit in well

B: The whole outpost is not necassarily run by the corpus board, just some smaller offshoots looking for profit, similar to the Perrin sequence  

C: The machines are called feral because they have been programmed to act alike to animals, allowing evolution of corpus proxies in a less violent way   

D: The skybox idea is really cool, and maybe a little asassins creed-sequel gameplay could fit in, maybe in the lower levels, which are modeled alike to cities. 

See, I knew we could come up with something even better together ^^

20 minutes ago, ClockworkDragon5 said:

C: The machines are called feral because they have been programmed to act alike to animals, allowing evolution of corpus proxies in a less violent way   

Now this is interesting... If that's the purpose though... I think I have a 'bigger' for that too.

How about each biome is a testing stage for things like the Zanuka, Hyena and other units? Where those proxies are all tested and released to hunt down fake Warframes? Now that would be pretty unique as a testing scenario.

We could sit invisible and watch what the Corpus thinks would be a good test of their ability to attack a Tenno, or even capture one, we could have missions that would nip the production off for the day by wiping out a testing phase of Moas. How about each one tests different proxies? So rather than the 'feral' tag, how about 'prototypes' or 'test models', for the theme? They're already trying to program in the kind of movement that will compete with a Warframe, so this could be the testing grounds for that!

So we have a Moa testing area, a quadroped testing area, a Raptor testing zone and even a bigger Razorback/Jackal testing zone. None of the units have the boss status, resistances or armour of the main units, so they're all stripped down and can be killed by players without needing to fulfil the boss requirements, but move the same way and have the same weaponry to make them dangerous...

Even further, for testing biomes, why couldn't they even have one that's a complete replica of three tiles from a Grineer ship, and be testing invasion tactics on it?

The unique possibilities of this kind of area are incredible...

1 hour ago, Thaylien said:

Now this is interesting... If that's the purpose though... I think I have a 'bigger' for that too.

How about each biome is a testing stage for things like the Zanuka, Hyena and other units? Where those proxies are all tested and released to hunt down fake Warframes? Now that would be pretty unique as a testing scenario.

We could sit invisible and watch what the Corpus thinks would be a good test of their ability to attack a Tenno, or even capture one, we could have missions that would nip the production off for the day by wiping out a testing phase of Moas. How about each one tests different proxies? So rather than the 'feral' tag, how about 'prototypes' or 'test models', for the theme? They're already trying to program in the kind of movement that will compete with a Warframe, so this could be the testing grounds for that!

So we have a Moa testing area, a quadroped testing area, a Raptor testing zone and even a bigger Razorback/Jackal testing zone. None of the units have the boss status, resistances or armour of the main units, so they're all stripped down and can be killed by players without needing to fulfil the boss requirements, but move the same way and have the same weaponry to make them dangerous

That works really well. I was thinking the robotics would be constantly fighting *eachother*, but tests against fake Tenno or other scenarios work well. I’ll try to incorporate that!