Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Balor Formorian event from a first timer

Leo.doodling

Hello, I'm still new around these parts. I have done the attack on the Balor Formorian a couple of times now so just sharing my thoughts and ideas.

1) It can really suck to get left behind in one of those energy nets. I've been alone a couple of times and you easily get overwhelmed by the Grineer attack ships. Also it seems odd that one time this happened to me and I never even made it into the Formorian, but yet had the highest damage at the end of the match - which seemed odd in respect to the mission.

2) Maybe make the zeplens easier to destroy if only one person trapped inside the energy curtain. They go down fast in a group but one person just sitting there shooting it can be really annoying.

3) Finding the entrance into the Formorian can be a little bit difficult at first. The thing is so big and the entrances, at least from what I've seen, are on the opposite side of where the shield generators are. Maybe like some glow out of the opening or other visual signaling would be handy. The little icon that appears does help but yet the player is so tiny compared to the surface you can fly down and still not see it easily.

4) Once inside I've seen players appear confused as to what to do. Many don't seem to realize they have to shoot those nodes. Maybe some visual flare to them to draw peoples attention once the shield is down.

5) I might be the only one but I wish there was a bit more meat to this event. I love the idea of using the archwing to go up against a giant but I feel like the mission where I had to destroy a corpus generator with my archwing had more to it. I do like the whole encounter over-all but it can feel like it's over super fast.

1 minute ago, QuatroLeo said:

more meat

Everything else you're talking about goes away once you get to know the mission, but this suggestion remains.

The mission definitely needs more meat to it. Vets bop past everything, take out the sides, bop in, blow it up, bop out. 5 minutes. Now don't get me wrong, more time =/= more meat. We need more stuff to shoot and a better reason to shoot it along the way.

I feel like the fomorian needs to be 100x further than it is, and dodging the laser needs to be more intense. Getting trapped isn't fun, but we do need a reason to shoot incoming enemies before we ultimately destroy the thing.

1 hour ago, QuatroLeo said:

2) Maybe make the zeplens easier to destroy if only one person trapped inside the energy curtain. They go down fast in a group but one person just sitting there shooting it can be really annoying.

Zeplens melt to a no-forma no-potato cyngas with corrosive damage.

However, there are two problems:

- New players aren't used to scanning & adapting damage type: if you scan a zeplen, you can see that they have a very high ferrite armor.

- Even if you know this, you need to be able to switch to corrosive. I think Venomous Clip only drops from AW interception and PoE Incursions. RotC for both. Which means they aren't easy to come by. The melee mods were easier to get, iirc, but still.

2 hours ago, Archistopheles said:

dodging the laser needs to be more intense.

Those lasers actually do something? To be perfectly honest, I thought those were just visual decorations. I hardly ever see them fire.

38 minutes ago, SubtleOaf said:

Zeplens melt to a no-forma no-potato cyngas with corrosive damage.

However, there are two problems:

- New players aren't used to scanning & adapting damage type: if you scan a zeplen, you can see that they have a very high ferrite armor.

- Even if you know this, you need to be able to switch to corrosive. I think Venomous Clip only drops from AW interception and PoE Incursions. RotC for both. Which means they aren't easy to come by. The melee mods were easier to get, iirc, but still.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks. I will look at if I have those mods. I do like doing archwing missions so i might, but then again I feel like those missions don't drop many mods at all. I didn't think to scan anything because of how fast the mission plays out and I don't want to be stuck behind.

More meat is definitely a need here. I was a first timer in the recent event, and I was done with the reward in two missions -- fly past everything, shoot something that doesn't move, fly away. It was not exactly the most substantial gameplay experience. I didn't bother doing it after I got the potato or whatever they were giving out. 

Really, the event should be a limited-time quest made up of multiple missions. 

First timer, a bit confused on what to do, used an itzal and imperator that has been maxed out and caught by zepelins a few times, focused on the zeps and went on. Destroying the objectives to progress need to be more informed, didn't know till I noticed individual health bars.

Used a brand new Amesha and imperator wraith(?), the enemies weren't an issue and still died despite poor mods, it took an entire clip and a delay to get rid of a zepelin. Everything else was fine. Did not try the new odanata prime I had. Died a few times due to incredible lag.

It's incredibly short due to how the event works, by going in and giving it a quick poke and dashing out before it comes back on. It's debatable, rewards should change depending on the difficulty endured, it's mostly a mode to farm endo at a speedy rate.

Only thing that may catch players would be farming the imperator vandal, the receiver I manged to get 2 of them, one for myself and one on standby as it has 2% to show up as a reward. 

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Really, the event should be a limited-time quest made up of multiple missions. 

You know I expected there to be a second part. On the map it looked like the ship was heading towards a space station. So I figured there would be a part about protecting the space station once it reached there. I was actually playing when the event ended and was confused, wondering where it disappeared to suddenly. 

At least there could have been some sort of little video of that Grineer guy, yelling about the ship is retreating, in the menus. Some sort of closure to it all.

On 10/30/2017 at 2:47 PM, Archistopheles said:

Everything else you're talking about goes away once you get to know the mission, but this suggestion remains.

The mission definitely needs more meat to it. Vets bop past everything, take out the sides, bop in, blow it up, bop out. 5 minutes. Now don't get me wrong, more time =/= more meat. We need more stuff to shoot and a better reason to shoot it along the way.

I feel like the fomorian needs to be 100x further than it is, and dodging the laser needs to be more intense. Getting trapped isn't fun, but we do need a reason to shoot incoming enemies before we ultimately destroy the thing.

I think Fomorian battles should be much less scripted:

1. Fomorian enters the mission surrounded by defensive craft. It's some distance away.

2. As defensive craft are destroyed, reinforcement launches from the Fomorian.

3. Once a certain number of Defense craft are destroyed, we are prompted to close distance. At this point, we can begin attacking shield generators and turrets on the Fomorian itself, while a smattering of more, tougher defense craft are launched.

4. Incessantly the shield generators are down, the Fomorian retreats from the field and we win that encounter with it.

DE needs to move away from these tightly scripted, same every time missions. Just make it a big space battle.

You could even gave a Survival variant with the Fomorian in the background, firing barrages now and then, while we survive waves of Defense craft.

Anything hut this one, tightly scripted routine.

The tighter you script missions, the more repetitive they feel on repeat runs. The more repetitive missions feel, the quicker they foster burnout in players.

See Bounties for more on this.

Edited by BlackCoMerc