Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can the textures on the Naru syandana be looked at? They're really glossy, like pre-PBR stuff

(PSN)Texas_Twurk_Team

The Naru was very specifically designed that way.

jcd.png

The entire thing is hard contrast pure metal and pure diffuse, but it has detail work done inside of both for scratches and such that show that the artist knew what they were doing. Similarly, the central portions of the diffuse section are fairly smooth, but they get extremely smooth near their edges and have detail added via patches that are more rough. Given that they were based on a shoulder armor that has not been PBR'd, the glossy feel makes sense. The Naru are certainly shaded far better than they would be if they were not given the love they were however.

That Ivara issue is interesting. The skirt isn't even close to that visible on PC:

jce.png

I saw the problem immediately once I found the texture though. The general terrible texture quality is because it is far too dark. The texture compression is then not quite compressing the three color channels at the same rate, resulting in visible colors on the ingame skirt. Top is the texture, bottom is it brightened so that it is visible.

jcg.png

Edited by egregiousRac

The opacity of the skirt changes with energy color and things like bloom and other settings; I generally just set it to black so it isn't visible but changed it for this express purpose. Back to the Naru, to be honest I have no clue what I'm looking at in those pictures as I don't have any experience in this field other than what I can see. I'm not stating that the artist didn't put a lot of work or detail into the model, it's just that with a lot of colors, it gives off that very distinctive plastic/glossy look. The wings themselves look amazing, but the clash of glossy vs matte on the newer stuff is unattractive. I wish I had taken better pictures before I left the house but you can very distinctly see how the wings are much, much more shiny than the matte look on Ivara, despite using the exact same colors. I tried to use my Ember but couldn't get the light to hit everything just right. I have the Majesty skin, the arcane Phoenix helmet, and the Naru, all using the exact same colors again. The syandana and the old, non-PBR'd helmet both share the exact same glossy look, whereas the new tennogen skin has the matte look

I was running pure white to get it as visible as possible and it was still that faint. That was not a version difference that I would have expected. The actual issue was easily diagnosed all the same.

It is quite glossy. The biggest thing that determines that would be the right texture map, the roughness. A black value on there would give a perfect reflection, a white value would give no reflection detail at all with the light blended across the entire surface. The glossy portion of Naru is around 22% rough, compared to around 45% rough on the bulk of Ivara. She is incredibly matte compared to many things in the game though, she is possibly the most extreme example possible. Your comparison to non-PBR'd items was accurate insofar as it was designed to have a similar gloss with far more control.

It is good to note that no color selection will have an effect on the glossiness of an object. Although it would be relatively trivial to add, color pallets only apply to the coloration, not the other material properties. The artist determines those properties and they don't always go for the same look. A great example of this would be Faven's line of Graxx skins. Much of the armored areas are similarly glossy to Naru, but they are paired with very matte textiles, whereas Naru is paired with less glossy metallics.