Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kogake Vs Orthos

Darayas

No knockdown on orthos is actually really good, since you wont get stuck in the execute animation. This means you can spam more cleaving charge attacks instead of maybe finishing off a single target while 8 of his buddies beat on you. Random execute animation against toxic ancients or enemies in toxic ancient clouds are really, really annoying later on as well. (or any other situation where you self-CC yourself while the animation plays)

Orthos just needs practice & awareness. Once you get used to the hit area of each swing/charge attack, you'll find it very difficult to justify the use anything else.

install reflex coil into your kogake and keep your foes on the ground while dealing some damage with you primary weapons. Works perfect against the bosses, in any other cases... well, you've got your primary gun. Use it. Orthos has damage mult versus light infested, but who cares. You'll have to level them both if you wish to rank up.

install reflex coil into your kogake and keep your foes on the ground while dealing some damage with you primary weapons. Works perfect against the bosses, in any other cases... well, you've got your primary gun. Use it. Orthos has damage mult versus light infested, but who cares. You'll have to level them both if you wish to rank up.

orthos does 620 with proper mods... that ignore armor. And deals triple to light infested. That 620 is a good rival to almost all guns.

orthos does 620 with proper mods... that ignore armor. And deals triple to light infested. That 620 is a good rival to almost all guns.

I'm in love with my Orthos, and even the normal attacks are worth it when I've needed speed, but what would you say are the proper mods?  Pressure Point, Fury, a host of elemental mods.  I think I have Staggering Force and cc/cd mods too. 

I'm in love with my Orthos, and even the normal attacks are worth it when I've needed speed, but what would you say are the proper mods?  Pressure Point, Fury, a host of elemental mods.  I think I have Staggering Force and cc/cd mods too. 

for charge? Reflex, fury, focus energy, killing blow, rending strike, sundering strike, then whatever other element mods you have. For normal? The same minus the charge only stuff I think (killing blow, reflex) with pressure point thrown in

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

That feels a little low to me, but I can't tell if the number I'm remembering (~900) was with my Shade glitching and giving me the stealth melee bonus or not.

I run Reflex Coil, Fury, Reach, Pressure Point, Killing Blow, Rending Strike, Sundering Strike, Northern Wind.

If I were to go full charge, I'd drop Pressure for Focus Energy... however I use my sliding melee a lot, and PP + Rending + Sundering makes that deal nearly 450 in a huge AoE with no target count restrictions. Orthos's charge has a cap of 5 targets iirc (like all heavy weapons, also iirc).

Stag Force is worthless currently, Orthos also already has innate 100% stagger on-hit.

Shocking Touch is worthless, use Focus Energy instead, as at max rank it's 2 mod points cheaper and twice the electrical damage- on top of buffing charge speed. However, the damage increase is worthless regardless against everything that isn't a Moa past lv70 or so. I really only use Electric on my Vipers, until they fix scaling, it's useless late game.

Molten Impact is good till light infested hit around level 70, then it really just adds pretty lights. You'll cut through Runners and Leapers like butter, but literally everything else will lol at it. I almost never bother with fire, it's basically completely useless late game, as Light Infested in general will die ridiculously fast to almost everything anyways (even Sound Quake is still killing them at lv80 or so lol).

Northern Wind gives a slow, and allows you to chain stun Ancients with normals no problem. Also lets you cut through shields like nothing. One of the two elements I always use.

Sundering Strike adds 90% AP. It's your BFF, as AP bypasses armor (meaning it ALWAYS does damage). Half effective against light infested, but your base damage is Blade (x3 vs Light Infested) and your charge damage is Serrated Blade (x3 vs Light Infested, Armor Ignoring), so it really doesn't matter. AP's the other element I'll always use.

And a warning on Reach... max reach on an Orthos also gives it the title "Windowbane". If you hit E anywhere near reinforced glass, roughtly 99.99998% of the time you WILL cause decompression. However, it also makes it really really easy to melee toxic ancients to death.

All last week when I was ranking up for a Lanka and Acrid, I leveled Trinity, Nyx, Mag, and Vauban using my orthos and two leech weapons in Xini. Yes, *only* my Orthos.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Kestrel man, Kestrel. 

knocking everything down, and / or throwing them across the room. 

Kestrel doesn't have a powerful ground execute though, and its jump attack also ragdolls as opposed to Kogake's jump attack knocking down (different states)

Kogake can knock down, ground execute, knock down again, ground execute again, and then finish off with crit melee attacks for taking out priority targets. Kestrel is better for controlling trash. Furthermore kogake's ground execute deals serrated blade type damage, overlaps, and can get headshots. So that's something.

If you just want to ragdoll things, the Kestrel is better for it BUT if you want to remove a single target from battle and destroy them quickly while preventing them from getting up, the Kogake are useful for this (on top of just having really really nice single target dps with regular attacks).

Edited by Fundance

That feels a little low to me, but I can't tell if the number I'm remembering (~900) was with my Shade glitching and giving me the stealth melee bonus or not.

Might have been because of m prime or something (like the bug)

But base of 200 damage, raised to 500 from  killing blow, + 60% base of 200 (120) is 620.

Might have been because of m prime or something (like the bug)

But base of 200 damage, raised to 500 from  killing blow, + 60% base of 200 (120) is 620.

Yeah, reason I didn't slap you with math... because math gave me the same numbers.

I know I was also adding in the AP component from Pressure + Rending + Sundering, but if it's applied like it's supposedly applied, that's 148 ish extra.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Yeah, reason I didn't slap you with math... because math gave me the same numbers.

I know I was also adding in the AP component from Pressure + Rending + Sundering, but if it's applied like it's supposedly applied, that's 148 ish extra.

Oh yeah, I was just doing base damage, my bad for not clarifiying.

Oh yeah, I was just doing base damage, my bad for not clarifiying.

I knew you were just doing base damage... my bad for not noting that as well =P Like I said, I got the same number as you...

It's just I don't recall it not being two zeros at the end of the largest damage number popup :/

Thanks for the responses, I'm not at lat egame yet and don't have a few of those mods mentioned, but it's something to keep in mind.  Right now I can take the Orthos as I have it and just melee a mission around Jupiter, unless Toxic or Displacer ancients show up.  I'll pop staggering force on something else for the time being.  I suppose I could put it on the Kogake for giggles.