The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happens to our accounts when console moves on?

Yasha-7HS

30 minutes ago, Sweetea17 said:

Its not about thinking, its about knowing. Knowing is half the battle.

The other half of the battle would be trying to get the small number of high and mighty PC elite to stop being disdainful towards console players. 

Who cares what platform anyone else is on? There's a large enough playerbase on each platform to warrant the development of Warframe there. 

I think the OP has a genuine point, and it'd be nice to know what the plan is for Warframe not only when console changes generation, but also when the lifetime of Warframe is up in general.

On 11/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, Jorak_Falconstar said:

as far as I'm aware this can never happen due to the way Sony and Microsoft hold their databases for account details etc which is why console to PC migration has never been offered previously

There's been at least one migration that I know of, it's not a database limitation, or it wasn't then.

As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been offered since because PC and Console are so far apart on content. Last time it happened, the versions matched across all platforms.

On November 5, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Sweetea17 said:

Oh that is easy, you just start all over with the new console. I mean you play on a console

its what you are used to.

Nope.  DE has changed the game.

If DE wants my continued business, they will plan for continuity and work the legalese out.   Otherwise Sony AND DE will lose out big.

It's been years, and this is essentially my chosen game.

It's my chosen hobby to the exclusion of other games, and DE should be proud of that.

I might even be willing to pay a small fee to get it done, but it's all or nothing in the most serious financial sense.

If they tell me to "start over", then I'm done for good.

The smartest thing they could do is release it at launch on PS5 (like they did with PS4) and offer console to PC porting of some kind.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

This issue is the very reason I decided to start over on PC.

I played Destiny on Xbox 360, then when the Xbox One came out Bungie said eventually everyone would Have to buy an Xbox One in order to keep playing. That they wouldn't continue to offer content on the 360 (and sure enough, it's final DLC was exclusive to the Xbox One). That was a gut-punch, because the Xbox One wasn't (and isn't) exactly cheap. I also played a game on XB360 called Defiance: it did not get an upgrade for the Xbox One like Destiny did so it was not available there. I loved that game, but it got abandoned because I couldn't play it on my new console. Sad, because it was really fun.

During one period of being burned out on Destiny I found Warframe in the Xbox One store. I enjoyed it even though I played infrequently (Destiny being my main game). After a couple of years no new content for D1 was coming out, D2 was on the horizon and this time it was going to be on PC. I was happy it would be on PC because I didn't want to get sucker-punched into having to buy yet another new console (should one have come out). But, here I had a fair bit of progress on Warframe with no way to carry it over. MR8, lots of achievements, Second Dream completed, etc. I didn't want to have to start over again.

But, ultimately I bit the bullet and started over on PC. For me, it's just not worth the frustration and hassle of being anchored to a console with a finite service life, with no guarantee your persistent game will be brought up to the new console. PC doesn't have that issue. As long as the servers are up I can play. I dont see myself going back to console gaming again. It's just not worth it for me.

I dont see Sony/MS ever offering console to PC porting as long as the game is available on their current-gen console. Maybe if Warframe ends up like Defiance did, without an upgrade to the newest consoles, Sony/MS might be open to allowing account transfers since they wont be getting any more money out of those players anyway. But as long as there is money to be made, they'd never allow it.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:53 PM, Felixdb said:

Honestly, being obtainable in the future doesn't help me right now. Waiting three hundred days for a really good weapon, or waiting months for an event that brings it back is being no longer obtainable. It's like someone telling you there's a finish line somewhere on the horizon, and you run for it. No matter how long you run, you never find it. The person who told you about the finish line has yet to draw it. The finish is not obtainable until it exists, and no matter how far you run it's always going to be ahead of where you are now, making all your work beforehand feel pointless. 

I understand we play this game for the long term -- I'm the one who made a post talking about the next generation of console that hasn't even been announced yet -- but burnouts are rampant in this game. Not having the goal even visible right now, and not knowing when it's going to be in the future, does NOT help someone continue playing this game. 

I think that a healthy way of thinking about it is that Warframe is dying at some point 100%. It won't be tomorow, and most likely won't be next few years (if no global apocalypse happens), but one day you will wake up and it won't exist no more as a game. 

Don't think about the time and money you've spent in it was ever a waste tho. You got to play, have fun, be entertained and be part of the community and it was all mostly great. 

That's why you sticked around for so long. But just prepare yourself that it is inevitably disappearing one day.

As for starting all over again.. Yea, I could never do it.. I am spoiled and like the fact I got all the things I want, and it's just up to my imagination to make a scenario with builds, team setups, different missions to still have fun..  However if something happend tomorow and I lost my account. That would be that, bye bye WF, you were a great tool against boredom.