Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lack of smooth wall running/attacking

Hixlysss

This has been something of a...well, long standing issue i've bumped into. Kinda just been there and I ended up just accepting it, for a time at least. But attempting to unlock a riven...on a ice tile set...i'm starting to realize that we have this great movement system that really isn't used.

I mean, look at the basic corridors for a corpus ship. You can't wall run on those, if you're lucky you can wall cling. The places you can wall run...well an example I have is the open air corpus rescue tileset, with the little vents you can walk through under the door. Getting UP through that is a massive pain because of some little, itty bitty, two inch high lip we can't seem to be able to wall run over(And this sort of thing happens A LOT in other tiles, some tiny little thing stopping our movement.) And it's...it's just starting to become grating.

I wanna actually USE this fantastic system but the level designs just...don't seem to allow it. Sure certain tiles allow it, anything with walls that are flat and ten feet high at least. But that's something of the issue...the wall has to be flat. 100%. It can't be at an angle of any kind, cant be a circular tunnel, or maybe we just can't use our void powers to cling to ice for what ever reason, the thing that remains is the movement is only, at best, 50% used. Basic running and bulletjumping, the other 50% which is wall running and clinging are rarely used in basic missions.

I wanna feel like a bad &#! ninja, running down the walls of some corpus ship, doing a melee attack from one wall into another and slicing corpus caught in my path. Or using the wall cling and running to avoid fire(Like how dodge rolling reduces damage, have wall cling/run give us a big boost to Evasion? Make it more useful somehow, entice us to use it) But first the maps seriously need a good hard look at the whole wall run system. It's great for basic running, but if you ever wanna pull off any sort of actual "ninja" stuff you need BIG rooms for some reason. And even then, on certain tiles(Infested, Ice planet) even the big rooms don't allow you to do....much of anything really, because we can't seem to cling to goopy infested flesh or ice, and yet we can cling to glass...

Or maybe I'm just bugged or suck at the game, but I would hope that after four, going on five, years now I'd at least be "decent" at this game and have a grasp of how to wall run and such, so it still boggles me why this system is in place but so rarely used?

This issue bugs me as well. There are lots of places that should allow wall running, but don't. It is contrary to what parkour 2.0 was supposed to be, since its purpose was to allow us to run on more uneven surfaces (at least as far as I remember). And it is not the case.

18 minutes ago, Genitive said:

This issue bugs me as well. There are lots of places that should allow wall running, but don't. It is contrary to what parkour 2.0 was supposed to be, since its purpose was to allow us to run on more uneven surfaces (at least as far as I remember). And it is not the case.

Exactly. The first instance was basically "on rails" and we would end up running along a wall, bump into another wall, and kinda just...derp out and keep running into the wall. The new system is...we run along the wall, into another wall, and instantly try to run straight up. Or if we run straight up and there is this little itty bity thing that's only a couple inches high...we just keep wall running into it. We don't grab it to jump over it like a ledge, we don't 'ignore' it as we should and just keep going up, we just keep bumping into it.

I think it has something to do with the level design and how certain items are tagged, or perhaps not tagged. Some walls are tagged as "Yes, wall run" while others are "No" because of reused assets. Saves them time, but then we run into these issues and...yeah.

Going a bit further into the whole level design thing...the doors are way too low, or maybe our bullet jumping sends us too high? I donno which one it is, but there are SO many instances where running through the halls and you just...hit the top of a door, lose your momentum, or you get STUCK there for a moment because of the freaking 1 inch lip the door makes off the wall and you have to move back and get off of it to get through the door...it's maddening.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that so many tilesets have blank reset spots when we really have the means to move around so nicely now.

Before parkour 2.0, many of those spots would potentially put you in a place you couldn't get back from.

Not all those off-limits spots should be made available, maps have limitations and flaws, but there could be some improvement.

I continue to hope that someone in DE finds the time to go through and rework some of the worse tiles for that sort of thing. The old Corpus ship tileset immediately comes to mind.