Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TAA not compatible with SLI (fixed by driver 388.71)

B01scout

Hello,

since it's introduction, TAA seems to not be compatible with SLI. Activating both cause a glitchy image. Elements of the eg warframe 'burn in' on the screen and many edges are darker.

Is DE aware of this or am I missing something to fix it myself?

I got two Nvidia GTX 1080 with driver 388.43 on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Spoiler

VBdPPsd.jpgBXn3MK4.jpg

Edited by B01scout

On 12/8/2017 at 11:35 AM, B01scout said:

Is DE aware of this or am I missing something to fix it myself?

Temporal Anti-aliasing doesn't really like SLI. SLI either divides the image between the SLI'd GPU's, or each GPU renders alternating frames. The latter is typically the favoured method.

Temporal AA works by taking sample data from one frame into the next.

Since each GPU only renders every other frame, it either carries forward incorrect data, or no data at all.

Turn off TAA, or just run the game on one GPU (a single 1080 is more than enough for Warframe).

EDIT:

I forgot that you can also supersample (enable DSR in the Nvidia control panel) if you want to use both 1080's. SSAA trumps TAA, i believe DE have added a scaleable HUD now, so you may be able to keep the HUD elements normal size relative to your monitor.

I saw someone run Destiny 2 on a single 1080 at 8K (frame-rate was serviceable), i can't see why you couldn't do the same with warframe since it is a less graphically intense game and you have 2x GTX1080's.

Edited by MillbrookWest

I'm using DSR factor 2.25 (5160x2160 pixels) but it kind of smashes my FPS even with 2x GTX1080 on the plains. Barely holding 40 FPS at times (using 100Hz monitor).

I know it's a luxury issue. TAA usually is a good compromise between image quality and performance.

I remember Ghost Recon Wildlands even warning players activating TAA because of its very taxing nature on SLI. But I didn't noticed any bad glitches or performance drops in that game, same in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Just saying.

1 hour ago, B01scout said:

I remember Ghost Recon Wildlands even warning players activating TAA because of its very taxing nature on SLI. But I didn't noticed any bad glitches or performance drops in that game, same in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Just saying.

Temporal AA isn't a particularly taxing feature per se. Watch Dogs if i recall outright disables TAA if you use SLI.

It's more to do with the way TAA works than anything, i think the Division had the same issue. It could be the work around in 'big-budget' titles is to send the sample data across the SLI bridge which results in sub-par performance as that's not what the bridge is designed for.

What's performance like if you disable TAA in the plains?  

Edited by MillbrookWest

The performance cost of TAA at my end may as well be nothing really. So I don't get any performance out of disabling it. The same in the plains.

But the glitches are most visible there. The stars brightness e.g. is reduced in some image spaces.

I wonder if DE will be able to address that when implementing DX12 Multi-GPU.

Spoiler

60Gw94S.jpg