The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Just Disable Snow Globe On Infested Defense?

BloodKitten

I don't think so.

There are going to be situations in infested defense where it is necessary.

If there is no Vauban with a decent Bastille and no explosive weapons.

Otherwise all the complaints are about not being able to get the kills in the snow globe which someone else is getting.

But there are situations where it is unnecessary or done just because they want the kills all to themselves by putting up a snow globe over a spawn location so no one else can shoot in.

Had the above happen to me today.

I like to stoop to a level they understand and kept on throwing vortexes into the snow globe.

I rarely bring my frost to infested defense missions. However I dont use snow globe in case i bring him into an infested mission, except when the time is needed for the snow globe to be used. (ex: Swarms of infested has entered pod range and needed to be slowed to minimize enemy DPS on the pod)

Again, there is no valid argument for using snow globe on infested defense. You are mitigating damage though. Specifically the damage of your team mates who would like to clear away anything attacking the pod, or even just coming up one of the approaches that you've just completely blocked their line of sight to. And it doesn't really matter if anyone brings unranked melee weapons, or fully modded 6x polarized ones. Melee just isn't optimal DPS, you can ignore it completely and do more damage than anyone who doesn't. If you are forcing your team mates to melee you are forcing them to suck, end of story.

The only argument against snow globe (other then it stops me getting all the kills!) is toxic ancients.  Basically before level 10 you can snow globe a lane, make a melee arena and kill everything going into it just fine (even the ancients as one ground pound will take them 20 seconds to get up from).  It still works fine up to about lvl 15 when there are too many toxics.  If you argue against that then you also need to ban nova, saryn, etc as they could just ult everything for the kills too.  Hence anyone telling me to stop snow globing and killing everything can go shove it - I am allowed to kill stuff how I like too.

As this is whining about public games you'll never go much beyond lvl 10-15 because there's no need.  Even if the team were up to it random people are a$$holes who are likely to click leave game with 1 second in the vote to go leaving half the team left to die and loose everything so it's better to click leave.

Hence either:

a) Play public games of defense and accept they are public games where people can do what they like and don't need to play to your master strategy to reach wave 60.  If you are that leet you should be able to solo these low waves anyway so let people do what they like  - it doesn't really matter.

b) Join a clan and play with team mates and go for wave 60.

Edited by DeathByDribbling

I like when an ogris user is defending the pod pretty much single handedly (while everyone else kills things about, letting our tenno missile-turret do his duty) until a random frost pops in and pops up a snowglobe, then doesn't res the ogris user. Instead choosing to  say something snarky about stupid ogris users commiting suicide. All while the pod is dying becuase we can't make it back in time or shoot through the globe.

Yes, as a Vauban, there are ways to mitigate the total idiocy of a frost, but why should he have to? It's bad enough when a frost is throwing snow globe up on infested defense all by himself, but when a Vauban has the pod on lock down, so that no enemies are ever going to even get close to the snow globe, what's his excuse then? "Derp, I love snow globe, I help good! Derp." And every time someone brings up how bad snow globe is for infested defense, somebody starts defending it, saying the slow is good, as if that mitigated all the downsides that go along with it.

"Oh, well, I thought you were forcing me to use one of the lowest DPS weapons in the game(any melee weapon) and go toe to toe with melee enemies who you have basically just given a free bullet shield to, but now I see that it's totally ok because it slows them down. Only now the toxic ancients DoT doesn't seem to have slowed down at all, and we failed, but your argument has totally changed my opinion of snow globes usefulness on infested defense."

^said nobody, ever.

I'm guessing that you encountered a Frost beyond our stupidity or stubbornness. I am also a Frost in an infested defense mission but I only activate snow globe when there is no Vauban, and if the Vauban is there then it would be better for avalanche and ice wave.

The only argument against snow globe (other then it stops me getting all the kills!) is toxic ancients.  Basically before level 10 you can snow globe a lane, make a melee arena and kill everything going into it just fine (even the ancients as one ground pound will take them 20 seconds to get up from).  It still works fine up to about lvl 15 when there are too many toxics.  If you argue against that then you also need to ban nova, saryn, etc as they could just ult everything for the kills too.  Hence anyone telling me to stop snow globing and killing everything can go shove it - I am allowed to kill stuff how I like too.

Seriously? Snow globe in a lane? I would accept the strategy if it were to be inside the cryo for a short term sanctuary but you're just blocking the lane so that you could kill them off yourself(if you can handle em all), or you're mindlessly shielding the infested entering it, preventing other players from killing em. I would also accept the term of a vauban using Bastille on a lane. That is better than SG on a lane. And banning the AoE frame so that Frost or Vauban can have all the fun,is illogical. As those frames can save you ammunition and time of killing loose end mobs. Especially when none had an Ogris with them.

As someone who mostly plays as frost, I think the only change they need to make is that on any kind of infested only defense map, snowglobe is replace with another power.

Devs decide what it is obviously, but it could be something cool like spikes of ice raining down in the same radius as snow globe for the same duration. Make it like a deadly blizzard storm instead of one that protects.

well your suggestion is for infested mission only, but what about grineer and corpus? not to mention its usefulness when it comes to other forms of mission (assassination, raid, etc. for protection). The benefits of frost's shield is more beneficial than another ice storm (in short, Avalanche), or at least if it were to be in an infested mission, it is up for the player to approach of where or when it should be deployed.

had a frost put up 3 intersecting snowglobes around the pod then walk away after i told him that it kills my grenades. nobody could shoot into it and i couldn't get bastille up and we ended up failing. if i could kick i'd kick every frost that uses snowglobe even once in infested defense if they're not up to the pod. i've had way too many that just completely ignore me when i ask them not to use it because it just blocks everyone. 

Avalanche doesnt even begin to damage Ancients.

It CAN work on runners and chargers....sometimes?

It's not the damage my friend, it's entirely stopping everything for a few precious seconds the vauban can use to set up a new bastille. Frost has it's uses in infested defense but globe isn't it

maybe it's just me, but whenever this topic comes up it always comes across as people want to defend the pod in a infested defense from 20m+ away instead of within 10m of the pod, or defend from on top of a box instead of being a wall between the infested and the pod...

maybe it's just me, but whenever this topic comes up it always comes across as people want to defend the pod in a infested defense from 20m+ away instead of within 10m of the pod, or defend from on top of a box instead of being a wall between the infested and the pod...

^

Also, nothing good ever comes out of these threads, all it is wasting space.

I get why you don't like globe on Infested defence, I also get why some people do.

Why can't we just let people play the game they want to?

I honestly don't think anything should go through Snow Globe, inside or out. The whole mechanic around Snow Globe doesn't make any sense at all.

This. Right. Here. 

Snow globe is broken as F*** right now.  To make things worse the AI is so pants on head $&*&*#(%& they sit there in a field and shoot at the globe. 

With that out of the way, disabling a skill on a mission type bc you feel somebody isn't using it correctly is not the solution (irregardless of how right you are).  Instead, try to educate them.  If that doesn't work, then play with your friends or clannies perhaps? 

^

Also, nothing good ever comes out of these threads, all it is wasting space.

I get why you don't like globe on Infested defence, I also get why some people do.

Why can't we just let people play the game they want to?

Why is it ok for frosts to decide for everyone else that they have to use melee? If 3 people say "stop using globe it's not helping us, in fact it's hurting us" then why is it out of the question for that frost to comply? Why?

Well, you see, when I have this thing called an Ogris in my hands, then I do want to kill things from at least 20m away.