Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status 2.5, Impact, ragdoll, and a better alternative

Airwolfen

So as many have seen, IPS status is getting a rework to their function. In this case I want to provide a possible solution to the issue a lot of people bring up, the stagger and more importantly, the ragdoll effect.

To people who like to min max their damage output on weapons and love both status and headshots there are a few things we most likely all dislike.

1. Ragdoll effects (till now mostly forced through melee combos)
  2. Blast
  3. Impact

These procs can absolutely devastate the damage you deal by either completely removing the possibility of dealing damage (ragdoll) or making headshots on more precise weapons a hell (impact and blast)

So lets just say I'm quite concerned with the new impact changes.

BUT there may be a better alternative

1. first of all for impact itself now that we are at it. Changing the stagger animation so that the head is kept more or less level. Would be mostly appreciative of such a change.

2. Shockwave.

Now what do I mean with shockwave.

Instead of blasting the enemy off.. again.. and not allowing us to finish them off once and for all. We could instead turn a single proc into a wave of staggers.

I was looking around for a good visual representation of what I mean but I guess Ill have to do with the ability of a league of legends character
cDkmLn5.jpg

Now this is graves his ult, but for now I want to focus on how his ability hits. The ability is a explosive projectile that deals splash damage in a cone to targets behind the initial hit.

Now what if Impact was the same. You build up impact (or unleash it at once with high impact) to the point where in the current iteration it will do its ragdoll effect. But instead of a ragdoll it would do a more serious impact proc to the main target that will stun them, and create a shockwave behind the target that impact procs all effected enemies like a shockwave.

Not only will the main impact hit be more valuable as it takes the main target out for multiple seconds it also turns it into effect that can deal with crowds all on its own unlike the other proc types (minus gas).

TL;DR instead of a ragdoll. Turn a single impact proc into a cone behind the main hit in the form of a shockwave.

So that is my alternative to the ragdoll.

What do my fellow Tenno think. Would this improve impact as a proc to you under the new system. Do you dislike it? Let me know what you think.

What I believe is that Status should be a more independent system to damage and have greater connections to affected Health types. So no long have a one to one relationship, so stagger and ragdoll would be more based on how mods are applied and the affected enemy.

Health Types should be expanded at least for the Tenno, and have one Corpus Shield type, and a new exclusively Corpus armor, as the Grineer retain their two types.

That way mods would be the way to get certain CC effects to trigger more often, or other DoT effects based on player preference.

More here:

I'll harp on this one point because it bugs me to no end:

Impact negatively affects the "marksman" weapons by proccing random staggers.

It's hard enough to land several continuous headshots as the cheaty enemy AI's ESP kicks in and they start backflipping up the walls and glitching/teleporting around when they're in your crosshairs, we don't need random staggers complicating things even more.

A prime example, the Dera:

The takeaway for the purposes of this topic is that Impact should be removed from that particular weapon. Thematically it makes sense, functionally it makes sense. However, I assume this kind of fix wouldn't apply to all the "marksman" weapons.

I think with the rework of the Status types should come a partial rework of the modding system, to either allow us to choose what kind of damage a weapon will output, or allow us to pick a damage type that WON'T get procced. Maybe damage conversion mods?

[-100% Impact Damage, +60% Status Chance]

Something like that. And no, I don't think people will abuse this to just stack Slash, because I'm assuming the rework would also involve making the Status types very useful in their own particular ways, so no one Status type is heavily favored.

However, since changing the modding system seems to terrify everyone, how about...

•The goal of Impact Damage could be to temporarily stop enemies from shooting/hacking at us so we can make a getaway, or reposition, etc. This means Impact Damage could maybe stagger enemies on normal procs (like it does now), then ragdoll on procs caused by Critical Damage.

•Electricity seems like the ideal choice for marksman weapons because it stuns enemies and keeps them standing still, more or less. (yes, I know that currently enemies tend to keep moving even while in the "stunned" animation, I don't know when they'll fix that bug)

=====================

I read that the severity of Status Effects will increase as more procs are stacked. Cool. How about this for Magnetic Damage:

•Proc 1: Drain a percentage of shields.

•Proc 2: Disable enemy powers.

•Proc 3: Create a mild Bullet Attractor effect on the enemy for [X] seconds. Duration is refreshed when procced again anytime after this 3rd proc.

And I do mean mild, I don't think bullets should be making 90-degree turns. I'm just saying that if a bullet was to go between an enemy's legs and miss, it now would not miss. This would benefit all those rapidfire secondaries like Vipers and Gremlins, while more accurate guns wouldn't be affected much at all since they're accurate already.

=====================

Status Immunities

I like when these pop up, it encourages varying your arsenal instead of never ever changing your mods for any reason.

•Robots should be immune to Slash, Viral and Toxin procs, and they should also heavily resist those damage types.

•Infested should be immune to Magnetic proc damage, but can still be procced and have their powers disabled.

•Grineer aren't immune to Magnetic because they use robotic prosthetics or whatever lol

======================

Status Effects Varying by Faction and Type

I think it would be neat if the factions were affected differently by the same Status types.

•Corpus have their shields drained by Magnetic procs.

•Robotic enemies can't be confused by Radiation. Instead, Magnetic procs will cause that confusion in them.

•Grineer lose accuracy when procced by Magnetic (it messes up their prosthetic eyes lol)

•Infested have their anuses Magnetically clamped shut so they can't spew their goddamn poison everywhere.

•Corrupted absorb Magnetic procs and build temporary shields with strength based on the damage dealt lol

Edited by MechaTails