Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thunderbolt Rework

Pixues

The way thunderbolt works now is limiting the bow's uses. 

It forces you to shoot distant foes because its a danger to use on enemies up close.

But one cannot always be that careful.

Especially in the heat of battle.

Especially if the battle is supposed to be fast-paced. 

Judging the distance at which you think its safe may fail.

Here is what i want and what i think will work much better.

Change the chance mechanism into a charge mechanism.

Instead of having a 30% chance to explode, the arrows explode if the bow is fully drawn longer than 'x' amount of seconds. 

An example

- un-upgraded:     4 seconds of bow drawn time

- upgraded once: 3.5 seconds of bow drawn time

- upgraded twice: 3 seconds of  bow drawn time

- fully upgraded:   2.5 seconds of bow drawn time.

(numbers are subject to change ofcourse)

This will:

1) Remove risk

2) Give the player control

This will make close combat viable with the bow while thunderbolt is equipped. Because the player can shoot close targets with 'uncharged' arrows and decide for themselves to blast an area in the distance.

DE pls i need dis.

discuss. 

Edited by Pixues

i think the explosion damage should be calculated like elemental damage

that mean it will not cap the damage when using serration

enemies got hit  damage = serration+explosion

non hit enemies within explosion radius = explosion damage

Can we get this by update 9.5 please.

Or how about you make thunderbolt as suggested?

And create a new mod that makes arrows explode by chance like it is now. We'll call it russian-roulette or something.  

Edit: yes some damage scaling would go nice with that.

Edited by Pixues

as much as i would love to agree. i have to disagree on 2 grounds. One, if you have to resort to standing toe to toe with an enemy to use a paris bow i would reconsider your play style and be less derpy.second i need thunderbolt as it is. for synergism with my trinity link or rage mod

im still giving you +1 because this idea could totally be used for a new mod as opposed to changing a already good mod

Edited by Tainted_Fox

thunderbolt should really be adjusted and tweaked to work properly.

area of effect splash: as is the AoE is rather crappy where some enemies live.

damage: 200 or 250 damage that it is, serration does not seem to increase it's damage.

metal auger: does not work on it , though I guess that's fine.

crit: crit rate should link with the bow's crit, so if you snap shot it's default. but if you charge it then it uses the charge crit.

elements: it does not have all elements workable at once and only uses one for the element, though an element and armor piercing seem to work.

explosion on direct hit: I believe bodies are blocking explosions and or a bug is still present. explosion over-rides the arrow shot damage, this cuts down on damage an immense amount.

now as you can see, this is why the thunderbolt is lackluster and not worth using other than to level a bow easily with splash early on. I believe when they adjusted the ogris they messed up the thunderbolt explosion. the chance to explode is mostly fine, but the mechanics it's set as ruin it.  I think the damage should be raised to about 300 again as well. but not many people seem to care about this information about what's wrong with it and could fix it up.

• 3 months later...

Another thing... Let the 250 explosion damage scale with mods. This is all I can ever ask for. Currently it is absolutely useless in High Wave Defence or anything like that.

I agree with this completely, though i dont think we should do it by timed charge, since the weapon can have a fast charge rate, it should be determined by a "empty", "half", or "Full". What they could do is when you have the mod added on, they can color scale the charge circle like red for 10-20% chance, 21 - 40%, and 41 - 70%, and have the rank of the skill determine the damage of the weapon. For instance if your bow does 775 charge damage, the thunder bolt adds another 90% at a full rank.

so, a little over view here...

Charge determines explosion rate.

1/3 charge = 10 - 20% chance

2/3 charge = 21 - 40% chance

3/3 charge = 41 - 70% chance

damage scale by rank.

rank 1 = adds 30% more damage to the explosion combined with charge damage of the weapon

rank 2 = adds 60% more damage to the explosion combined with charge damage of the weapon

rank 3 = adds 90% more damage to the explosion combined with charge damage of the weapon

This is just a rough example of what i am saying but its a start right? please leave a comment :D