Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rise Of The Triad - The Return Of The Arena Shooter!

Luminati07

Hey there everyone,

I'm posting this topic to bring a new game to your attention.

If you are, or ever have been, a fan of arena shooters. (Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc), then I highly recommend you buy Rise of the Triad.

It's a amazing game, a true oldschool game through and through.

Its single player campaign is in the classic style of Doom. Large maps with plenty of exploration, tough enemies, and yes, there are secrets. Plenty of them.

The multiplayer is much like an arena shooter, and also feels quite different to games like UT.

For one, there's plenty more explosions, and you die faster, but it feels like one.

So, if you're getting sick of the ultra slow gameplay of games like CoD or Battlefield, pick up Rise of the Triad, it's only $15 and there's full mod support, so expect the game to last a while.

It does have its issues, optimization being the huge one. But the devs have stated their next patch will be all optimization.

Here's an 18 min video of some MP gameplay.

Edited by Nugget_

Battlefield series are not "slow", they just require from you to use brain a lot

The Battlefield series is slow as hell, even slower than Call of Duty.

That's not an insult to the series at all, that's just how the gameplay is.

I'm a fan of the Battlefield series (although not so much of BF3), I'm more of a BF2142 guy.

Run out>DAKKADAKKA>Lose your eyes, legs and arms>Run to cover>Wait for them to regenerate>Run out>DAKKADAKKA>Repeat.

Someone should give him the memo that there is more than one gametype in battlefield. Anyway, as for arena shooters, Halo 3 techinically qualifies as one right? Fast gameplay, weapons need to be found, not started with. Awesome maps. Most arena shooters are massively hampered by latency, battlefield never troubles me with lag because they put the effort in to get aussie servers, but there is no way in F*** these guys will have remembered to, because almost nobody remembers to.

Someone should give him the memo that there is more than one gametype in battlefield. Anyway, as for arena shooters, Halo 3 techinically qualifies as one right? Fast gameplay, weapons need to be found, not started with. Awesome maps. Most arena shooters are massively hampered by latency, battlefield never troubles me with lag because they put the effort in to get aussie servers, but there is no way in F*** these guys will have remembered to, because almost nobody remembers to.

I wouldn't consider Halo a full blown arena shooter, but it's pretty close.

Granted, I haven't played Halo in years, so I could be wrong.

Battlefield devs didn't provide the aussie servers, aussie providers did. People rent the server, which allows us to play on them.

It's the same with Rise of the Triad. You can get a dedicated server in Australia.

I played it yesterday lag free in Perth.

I'm curious as to what games you refer to when you say "most arena shooters are massively hampered by latency".

There hasn't been a proper arena shooter in years (as far as I know), and the UT games/Quake were never massively affected by it. I played UT99 for years with barely any lag.

Edited by Nugget_

Well, judging by what the others say, maybe slightly more in certain gametypes?

Let's not turn this into an argument about the amount of brain power it takes to competently play BF3...

Let's keep this thread about the glory of arena shooters, and their foretold return. :)

Well, judging by what the others say, maybe slightly more in certain gametypes?

Nah 1% is for basic understanding of the game in general and the other percent is for gametypes.

Tehehehehe

Edited by Palkora

Let's not turn this into an argument about the amount of brain power it takes to competently play BF3...

Let's keep this thread about the glory of arena shooters, and their foretold return. :)

This thread shall also be host to... CATS!!

Meow~! :3

I wouldn't consider Halo a full blown arena shooter, but it's pretty close.

Granted, I haven't played Halo in years, so I could be wrong.

Battlefield devs didn't provide the aussie servers, aussie providers did. People rent the server, which allows us to play on them.

It's the same with Rise of the Triad. You can get a dedicated server in Australia.

I played it yesterday lag free in Perth.

I'm curious as to what games you refer to when you say "most arena shooters are massively hampered by latency".

There hasn't been a proper arena shooter in years (as far as I know), and the UT games/Quake were never massively affected by it. I played UT99 for years with barely any lag.

LAG FREE IN PERTH. I MIGHT HAVE TO BUY THIS GAME AFTER ALL. Ahem. Apoligies, got a little excited there.

I'm loving RotT sooooo much! I've missed rocketing around at 50 mph hurling enough firepower back and forth to annihilate a small army.

Halo never quite managed to scratch the multiplayer itch (and I hate Halo's sp campaign) and very few shooters these days can hold a candle to my old favourites. I miss the all out craziness of the olden days, and RotT is bringin' it back!

for me run'n'gun pvp games get boring after an hour of play

Although I prefer BFBC2 over BF3.

I don't have time, since I work, to master all aspects of "air-land-sea and infantry" combat and tactics.

Edited by Strac_CRO

So, if you're getting sick of the ultra slow gameplay of games like CoD or Battlefield, pick up Rise of the Triad, it's only $15 and there's full mod support, so expect the game to last a while.

You are confusing pace of gameplay and constant running (in circles around the map-arena) and no need to stand, crouch, prone etc.

We already have Unreal Tournament 3, Doom Arena, COD.MW series, Painkiller series , WARFACE f2p etc. all run'n'gun type of games.

I don't see why generic and boring "Rise of the Triad" should interest anybody

You are confusing pace of gameplay and constant running (in circles around the map-arena) and no need to stand, crouch, prone etc.

We already have Unreal Tournament 3, Doom Arena, COD.MW series, Painkiller series , WARFACE f2p etc. all run'n'gun type of games.

No, I'm not. Compared to the oldschool type of shooters, the modern ones are incredibly slow.

They are well known to have slow paced gameplay, that is not an insult.

Your examples are pretty much null.

UT3 - Dead

Doom Arena - I haven't actually played it, so this could be a fair point.

CoD - Not an arena shooter in the slightest. Slow gameplay as well

Painkiller is a great game. That's 1 arena type shooter. Military shooters have how many? 20 different titles?

Warface isn't an arena shooter.

RotT isn't generic at all.

Arena shooters have pretty much died out.

RotT is one of the least generic shooters to come out in years.

Keep in mind, arena shooters hold a special place in thousands of players hearts. Many of us grew up playing Unreal Tournament or Quake 3.

It might not mean much to you, but Rise of the Triad is quite a big deal.

We already have COD series, WARFACE f2p etc. all run'n'gun type of games.

So you're calling CoD a game where you have a health bar and circle strafe people at ridiculous speeds? You have to run behind a wall and regenerate your goddamn arms and legs back after losing all of them, unlike an old school shooter.

WARFACE is more towards a PVE game with PVP. Do you circle strafe and have a health bar in that? Last time I played, no. I do remember immortal players in that due to the cash shop testing, though. I haven't played it for half a year so I'm not going to say anything more about it.

"Generic and Boring"

And you just called a game you haven't played generic and boring. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I played the hell out of the original RoTT back in the day! Oh man, the "ludicrous gibs", dog mode, drunken missiles... hoping they're all still in this reboot.

I'm thinking about getting this on Steam but the optimization issues have me concerned though. How bad is it? Does the game also use the Unreal 3 engine? My last experience with a U3 engine FPS (Painkiller Hell and Damnation) was also a poorly optimized mess with inconsistent framerates...

I played the hell out of the original RoTT back in the day! Oh man, the "ludicrous gibs", dog mode, drunken missiles... hoping they're all still in this reboot.

I'm thinking about getting this on Steam but the optimization issues have me concerned though. How bad is it? Does the game also use the Unreal 3 engine? My last experience with a U3 engine FPS (Painkiller Hell and Damnation) was also a poorly optimized mess with inconsistent framerates...

Hmm...I get around 90FPS or so on 'ludicrous' settings...

My specs are:

i7-3770@Stock clocks

HD7870 2GB Pre-OC'd

8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz RAM

ASUS P8H77-I

Yep!

Dog Mode, ludicrous gibs, drunken missiles. They're all there. :D

The optimization really isn't that great. If you have a semi-decent PC you might not have issues.

I have AMD Phenom 955, AMD 6950, 4gb of ram.

Most of the time I have about...60+ fps, usually sits around 75-90.

That's on high settings.

It just has random FPS drops, sometimes dropping to 25 for me, for seemingly no reason.

Their next big patch has promised to be all optimization.

Edited by Nugget_