Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need For Damage Meters

Rompido

pretty simple. Damage Meters would be really useful tool for helping players make better choices on how to re mod their weapons or which weapons to stick forma on.

who wants to spend valuable time farming for forma just to have to place it on a weapon they later find to be pretty weak in comparision to others?

I would like to not only Suggest introduction of in game damage meters but a place in your Dojo where you can activate a timer that counts down to give you time to get ready ( lets say 3 seconds ) and unload on your choice of target dummy. once time runs out ( 1-3 mins ) a display of what your total damage was and a damage per second average.

this could be exapanded to have multipule dummies to attack. infested or other, different level targets. boss style targets. etc etc.

please and thank you.

Yes, pure damage is the ultimate measuring stick of how I want to decide which weapon to keep.

Training dummy/ shooting range have been suggested many many times now, I'm sure DE knows that there is player demand.

Forma is a way for you to prolong the playtime with a weapon you already know you like enough to max multiple times AND keep forever, Primes be damned. If you didn't like it, why even contemplate on putting a forma on it? Sell and start something else :/

damage meters have done terrible things to communities. arguing that 1% differences in numbers are more important than actual in-combat performance. where meters dont calculate the effects of range, player skill, and damage avoided due to good play. where aggressive bad play is rewarded so long as you hold fire down for as long as possible.

no thanks.

damage meters have done terrible things to communities. arguing that 1% differences in numbers are more important than actual in-combat performance. where meters dont calculate the effects of range, player skill, and damage avoided due to good play. where aggressive bad play is rewarded so long as you hold fire down for as long as possible.

no thanks.

That's kinda already doable you know, comparing weapons damage and figuring out which is the best? I don't see how adding a target dummy/damage meters to the game would make it any different.

edit: oh nvm, like WoW damage meters. Yeah don;t need that. Target dummy sure.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

I think there is a huge lack of visible stats in an entirely stat based game.

Here I'm adding 100% damage, 100% crit, 60% AP, 30% Frost, etc etc but I have no idea where these stats wind up.  Am I missing something?

I think more visible stats, plus the test range idea would be great.

As it is I dumped an incredible amount of work and effort into a weapon, only to find out that the bullet-sponge end game units take half a 60 round magazine to kill while spraying them in the face at point blank.

Would certainly like to see something change.

pretty simple. Damage Meters would be really useful tool for helping players make better choices on how to re mod their weapons or which weapons to stick forma on.

who wants to spend valuable time farming for forma just to have to place it on a weapon they later find to be pretty weak in comparision to others?

I would like to not only Suggest introduction of in game damage meters but a place in your Dojo where you can activate a timer that counts down to give you time to get ready ( lets say 3 seconds ) and unload on your choice of target dummy. once time runs out ( 1-3 mins ) a display of what your total damage was and a damage per second average.

this could be exapanded to have multipule dummies to attack. infested or other, different level targets. boss style targets. etc etc.

please and thank you.

Theres 1 solution to this. Find weapon which you like slap 5 forma on it and give a f*** about it having 5% lower dps.

As for dmg meter sure why not, but without option to spam chat with it, leaving it as personal penis enlarger.

Edited by Davoodoo

Sorry, no. Your dummy DPS will almost never equal your real-time DPS unless you're soloing all day. In group play your damage will almost always increase based on warframe abilities, auras, and other factors so shooting a dummy will never give you much of an accurate representation. Besides, most people already have a general idea of what weapons are really good and what aren't. The same goes for mods - it's pretty well known what mods benefit you the most in specific situations. 

Sorry, no. Your dummy DPS will almost never equal your real-time DPS unless you're soloing all day. In group play your damage will almost always increase based on warframe abilities, auras, and other factors so shooting a dummy will never give you much of an accurate representation. Besides, most people already have a general idea of what weapons are really good and what aren't. The same goes for mods - it's pretty well known what mods benefit you the most in specific situations. 

everyone should be aware that firing on a non moving non attacking target will never be the same to a real fight. 

some players that take time to read up on guides, wiki, forums, and over 5 different damage chart calculation chart tables out there  do know whats basically top damage dealing weapon right now. but sadly most do not read or take time to find the charts. why allow their game experience to suffer?

you really think its enjoyable for a player to constantly feel that he isn't doing as well as his teammates? how many times you've seen in chat other players give false advice?

placing some dummy system with in game meters for them to easily figure out whats good and whats not so great, will go a LONG way in helping many players bring up their game!

Damage meters are the no.1 telltale sign that your game blows

that's your opinion and your welcome to it, but sooo many great games out there have some sort of numbers given at end of matches that break things down better than this game does. not to mention player created add ons to go with those games that I have to disagree with you 100%

Theres 1 solution to this. Find weapon which you like slap 5 forma on it and give a f*** about it having 5% lower dps.

As for dmg meter sure why not, but without option to spam chat with it, leaving it as personal penis enlarger.

its way larger than 5% try 50% or more, at that point that player is just holding his team back. as for damage meter, im 100% fine with no option to spam chat. I've never been fond of that either even when I was #1

Edited by Rompido

Most of the time I don't care about DPS. I do care about it if I'm choosing a weapon purely on how much damage I can dish out, and/or weapons with terrible ammo efficiency. Twin Vipers, Gorgon, Grakata, and so forth are very dependent on how potent their damage output is. A far more universal stat is damage per shot, as well as average damage per shot (which factors Crit Chance), which is directly tied to both DPS and ammo efficiency, and is very useful in comparing weapons. A damage meter would be greatly appreciated, but not put in a setting where people can flame each other for doing poorly (aka pug missions).

DPS meters in this game will just show us how broken health scaling and resistances is like in the other threads. A Latron Prime properly modded will do upwards of 300 to 400 damage per shot, excluding split chamber. A Braton gets pretty close to this because it's base damage is half the Latron, except it fires far faster. Most of the time two shots on a target are enough to kill something with a Latron, a Braton's damage is more all over the place due to inaccuracy. The popular method of playing the game is still using an Gorgon or Supra for those who wants DEEPEESSSS, and that S#&$ won't change. I'm actually fine with a dummy in the dojo showing us what we already know.

TL;DR:

Without Mods or forma'd weapons, you -never- know which is the perfect gun until you commit, and looking at a chart to see how good your weapon is or how -well- the game's mechanics work is a good trip into not enjoying the game as much. I speak from experience.

your the second to bring up how meters will tie into flaming. I'm sorry to tell you players in this game get flamed , trolled , and out right harassed for soo many other things. think its really going to make a difference?

Without Mods or forma'd weapons, you -never- know which is the perfect gun until you commit, and looking at a chart to see how good your weapon is or how -well- the game's mechanics work is a good trip into not enjoying the game as much. I speak from experience.

learning about the mechanics of the game, wrapping my mind around charts, is a good trip to developing a longer lasting love for a game. I too speak from Experience.

TL:DR

What makes a game enjoyable for me doesn't mean its what makes it enjoyable for you.

meters will not take away your enjoyment from the game. other players using it as a tool to bash you will.

your the second to bring up how meters will tie into flaming. I'm sorry to tell you players in this game get flamed , trolled , and out right harassed for soo many other things. think its really going to make a difference?

Why do we need to add in something that does nothing but raise epeens for no real, tangible benefit?

If it's a personal 'meter' with which a person can try out different weapons/loadouts on a stationary or moving target (training dummy in the Dojo for instance) and compare the results of these different weapons/loadouts; sure.

If it's a group 'meter' that everyone can bring up during a mission or whatever and compare his results with the other members; please no.

We already have something along the lines of that at the end of a mission and you can already see how well that one has been received so far.

"Nova steal all my kills OMGWTFBBq11 NOVA OP NERF!!!"

So in my humble opinion this game would do much better without these 'group dps charts' and 'number-of-kills leaderboards". They only promote selfcentered (CoD) behaviour which in my opinion is a huge detriment to a game that's focused on a co-op teamplay community.

Having a personal meter like a training dummy in the Dojo that would tell you the average dps of a weapon/loadout I have no issues with however. But personally I find it more important that a weapons 'feels' right for me and my playstyle instead of feeling the need to min-max just to squeeze out the best damage per second which will never be reached in a mission scenario anyway.

Just my 2 credits on the matter. ;)

I would very much like it if they put a comprehensive weapon load out information in the Ui. So when you equip mods or change weapon it tells you all the final stats. It doesn't even need to be THAT complex DE already has some idea how Mods interact and making a Ui in game that can allow player to make informed decisions on the best use of their mod points. This would only help clear a lot of the Player-helping-player section but might make more buff it nerf it topics....

I have played old PlayStation 2 games, the armored cores series that pretty much gave every stat you could possibly need to know about a weapon. It doesn't take a triple AAA game to tell player stuff, it also doesn't need the information to be thick as a phone book either. The current game is even missing essential such as critical chance and damage type and stun is a total mystery for the amount of information found in game.

Edited by LazyKnight

Why do we need to add in something that does nothing but raise epeens for no real, tangible benefit?

Helps those seeking to choose between weapons they like and aren't up to date on charts or forums. Take my kid for example (8) he loves playing games as most kids do. They hate reading and Looking at graphs and charts. ( lots of teens too, sadly) they just wanna blow stuff up! Those types of players will be helped from this.

By the way, you sound like one of those players in MMO's like wow that got kicked out because you weren't pulling your weight.

learning about the mechanics of the game, wrapping my mind around charts, is a good trip to developing a longer lasting love for a game. I too speak from Experience.

TL:DR

What makes a game enjoyable for me doesn't mean its what makes it enjoyable for you.

meters will not take away your enjoyment from the game. other players using it as a tool to bash you will.

What I was trying to bring home is that a Damage dummy and damage meter will not explain to most people how the game works and it will also not make them understand how weapons work in this game. Weapons without Mods are useless, and you wouldn't be able to test a weapon at full Modded level before you buy it, then supercharge it, then slot in several Forma's. And if you want to know what the best weapon is without posting these stats somewhere, it'll be hearsay.

Then, how do you explain a Boltor works better on higher level enemies or does more damage on true damage yet a Braton has a higher dps and higher damage potential, yet does not do as well in a fight? 

If you already know the mechanics, the charts and thus enjoy the game more, how does said damage meter and damage dummy help since the current math already tells us what we need to know, but does so very roundabout way in the same way that a damage dummy does?

So what does a Damage Dummy actually add to the game experience?

The numbers don't mean anything unless you spend 30 minutes explaining it to someone.

And for example in how knowing how broken the RNG is in that Banshee helmets have 2% chance to drop from -very- specific missions with rewards that only show up once every 10 minutes taken from a bloated pool with things you don't need? Yeah, that ruins the game for me. Or let's say how I can get 5 fieldron samples from a mission and not a single control module, or not getting a single control module after running four of the same area missions that are supposed to drop them?

Yeah, the game could do with some working out, but adding damage meters only help if DE is willing to act on them.

As to your latest post as of writing: Kids that don't care about the stats don't -notice- the damage they do on enemies. It has no relevance to them, and even I have trouble seeing what my main damage is out of the 4-10 numbers I see pop up on enemies when I hit them, from normal, to armour piercing, to fire, to frost and electricity damage.

No one who doesn't look at a chart or doesn't mentally calculate what mods do to add damage will,  realize how a burst or rapidfire weapon compares to a semi auto or shotgun weapon aside from "I should calculate about 400% more damage" which completely misses how much rapid fire makes a difference.

By the way, you sound like one of those players in MMO's like wow that got kicked out because you weren't pulling your weight.

That didn't sound anything like that to me.

In fact, you are starting to sound like one of those players in MMO's like wow that did the kicking. :P

As to your son. You say yourself that he hates reading and looking at graphs and charts and just wants to blow stuff up. A dps-meter actually *is* reading and looking at graphs and charts.

Just blowing stuff up doesn't need a dps-meter; it just needs a cool weapon your kid likes to blow stuff up with. :)

(I'd refrain from giving him an Ogris though as he might blow himself up by accident; and that's probably something he may not find terribly amusing)