Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Void Energy? (Warframe Energy Discussion)

Raspberry

Lore-wise, it feels odd that for a good part of the game, the only source of energy for our warframes is... enemies? And over time, the mods that affect efficiency as well as abilities/gear that allow us to replenish energy without needing to kill enemies do come into play. Overall, this has shaped into a very strange form of balance within gameplay, and I'd like to present my question as, what even is Void energy, and if it has such huge side effects as noted by dialogue in the Chains of Harrow quest, why do regular enemies (cloned humanoids, robots and machines, etc.) have so much? Why are there energy orbs stored all over the place in the maps we play, while our friendly Rail Leader (audible from our Orbiter's radio scanner) checks for any "energy residue" when inspecting Grineer ships? Even if it's somehow found a way to be balanced within our average gameplay, is it even appropriate for the game's lore?

I've thought the same kind of questions, to the point where I've seriously wondered if Warframes are just weird energy vampires.

Then again, such a vague, unexplained game mechanic could have all manner of meanings.

Maybe picking up the energy orb is just a gameplay representation of the warframe finding a minor void-rift, and absorbing some energy from it briefly, a metaphor of sorts.

Maybe energy siphon is just siphoning energy through the transference link, rather than the surrounding enemies/area.

Maybe Energy orbs are just combustion engines/ standard batteries that we use as backup fuel, and just convert it to void energy.

Maybe Energy is actually more like Void tolerance, and when it's empty, the warframe is too affected by the void to properly use a power without malfunctioning.

Maybe it's a representation of the Operator's emotions: getting a kick from a successful kill means the Operator's emotions let loose a surge of energy.

At the end of the day, it's a bar on the screen, and some blue sphere's that appear. It can be explained any way you want to.

If you're looking for a confirmed, canonical explanation, I don't think one exists for just about any mechanic in warframe.