Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To The Guy Who Designed Raptor.

ReiganCross

He still have too much health, still deals too much damage and even if you found a way of making him slightly less cheap, he's still @(*()$ horrible.

You know what, i'm not even going to bother anymore.

Whiners gonna whine.

raptor is the easiest boss in game, Bad AI.  

just lure him inside the big door. the go inside the first door , take cover peek a little until you see his body. kill it.  raptor will not fire, it will just sit there waiting to be killed. I got my nova in 5 runs solo.

raptor is the easiest boss in game, Bad AI.  

just lure him inside the big door. the go inside the first door , take cover peek a little until you see his body. kill it.  raptor will not fire, it will just sit there waiting to be killed. I got my nova in 5 runs solo.

I'm not really complaining about dificulty... If i bust out my fully pimped Despair i can take him down in about 1 min. What i'm complaining about it's that he's LAZY. He's yet another bag of impossibly high health that just points and shoots stuff. His only inovation is that this one can fly, where all the others are on the ground... Which just makes FINDING his drops all that harder.

Edited by ReiganCross

I agree with the OP. My main problem with the Raptor isn't that he's hard, but that he's just plain boring. Seriously, why the heck would they give a boss with so much health an invincibility mechanic? All it does is drag the battle out. 

Its worth it for the control modules, just get a friend.

Yeah, IF YOU CAN FIND THE @(*()$ THING!.. Really, a flying boss with exploding loot is just about the worst thing you could design. Hell, most games actually default to make the exploding loot explode elsewhere, or from the boss's body when he hit the floor. Exploding loot is already pretty horrible, but exploding air loot means drops all over the @(*()$ place.

+1 for the point that Raptor is a lazy and un-fun boss. However, he can't melt you unless you don't go hide at his 75% and 25% HP missile volleys.

I think they should just instantly feed every player loot upon a boss kill, no orbs or mat pieces, just +x mat and +blueprint and +mod as soon as it dies.

Then we all win.

I'm not sure what to do with Raptor though, besides changing their hard-on for stages in every boss fight. Perhaps have him dropping mines as he does, firing his cannon as he does, and launching arcing missiles that come down on a certain location and don't track you. Basically, he'd be a big game of dodgeball (and missile, and mines, etc) while you try to shoot him down.

That's the only easy fix I'd see.

The boss is Tenno whack-a-mole.

You pop out, shoot.

It aims at you, you walk back into the door as it goes boom boom.

Its trick during throughout the fight is no different than its missile phase. Massive amount of damage applied everywhere near you.

Completely useless mines that do nothing but fill the map up after the fight as there is nothing about the fight which makes you want to go anywhere outside.

I liked the Borderlands 2 BNK3R fight. Phases. Flybys, specific hovering points. Starts off with smaller weapons so you can jump around and take care of other things. Its flybys are the mortar phase, something that makes more sense than mines. They don't give you a completely closed in building for the fight. After half health it cracks down with the big gun. But even then that it regulated to "at times" rather than all the damn time.

And when it dies: It. always. dies. in. the. same. spot. Depositing loot in a controlled area. Though all BL bosses are pinatas with dozens of items. Its a pretty nice thing to do even if it only dropped ONE thing.

The boss is Tenno whack-a-mole.

You pop out, shoot.

It aims at you, you walk back into the door as it goes boom boom.

Its trick during throughout the fight is no different than its missile phase. Massive amount of damage applied everywhere near you.

Completely useless mines that do nothing but fill the map up after the fight as there is nothing about the fight which makes you want to go anywhere outside.

I liked the Borderlands 2 BNK3R fight. Phases. Flybys, specific hovering points. Starts off with smaller weapons so you can jump around and take care of other things. Its flybys are the mortar phase, something that makes more sense than mines. They don't give you a completely closed in building for the fight. After half health it cracks down with the big gun. But even then that it regulated to "at times" rather than all the damn time.

And when it dies: It. always. dies. in. the. same. spot. Depositing loot in a controlled area. Though all BL bosses are pinatas with dozens of items. Its a pretty nice thing to do even if it only dropped ONE thing.

That boss fight was awesome... DE could take some clues from there, but i'm afraid the effort of making the Raptor crash-land and THEN dispensing loot reasonably would be too much of an effort for them... They already didn't wanted to make him move any part of him at all (And correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think they gave him weakspots too.). So making him crash-land could be too much to ask of this lazyness...

I loved the Raptor because he got under my skin, he made me rage so hard until I figured it out. After that, he was a challenging boss either way. Here is how my playthroughs went:

1) Go to raptor get owned, proceed to rage

2) Respawn, try again to figure out how he works, walk on mine, rage

3) Respawn, resolve to avoid mines and keep shooting him, hey, I'm doing da-

4) Respawn, then get instagibbed by more rockets in the barrage

5) Fail mission and then go at it again

6) Realize that Raptor has three attacks, first the rocket, then the mines and third the phase (25/50/75% health lost) where he's invulnerable and shoots barrages of instagib rockets.

7) Berate self for being a dumb newb, equip appropriate gear and try again.

8) (lots of grinding here)

9) Nova.

I loved the Raptor because he got under my skin, he made me rage so hard until I figured it out. After that, he was a challenging boss either way. Here is how my playthroughs went:

1) Go to raptor get owned, proceed to rage

2) Respawn, try again to figure out how he works, walk on mine, rage

3) Respawn, resolve to avoid mines and keep shooting him, hey, I'm doing da-

4) Respawn, then get instagibbed by more rockets in the barrage

5) Fail mission and then go at it again

6) Realize that Raptor has three attacks, first the rocket, then the mines and third the phase (25/50/75% health lost) where he's invulnerable and shoots barrages of instagib rockets.

7) Berate self for being a dumb newb, equip appropriate gear and try again.

8) (lots of grinding here)

9) Nova.

Well, by phase 6 you notice how @(*()$ lazy he is... Also, i just noticed that he have rockets, i was having problems with his regular explosive shots and aparently he wasn't one-shotting me, (So yeah, the rockets weren't the problem, i was just assuming those were regular shots but i can see them now.) i just wasn't recovering because all of the things were managing to get a shot at me, so i have to wait way more then i'd like at the house to give my shields apropriate time to recover -.-'... Which means, longass times of the game that i spend waiting inside a house... What's that house made of anyways? That thing could take a nuclear explosion and be perfectly unscratched, and it's glass too, damn that's badass! (Yeah, since i'm waiting inside that house so much i start wondering about stuff like that...)

Also, i have a huge problem with step 8, but i think DE is actually aware of that one, so i won't be talking much there.

And i hate having to use full-leveled gear to take that sonava*@##$ down, mainly because that's a S#&$load of Affinity i'm not gonna get. Affinity completely wasted... Which is why you'll usually never see me with lvl30 gear.

And even with all that into concideration. He STILL have way too much health for something that should be flying (especially because he looks way more fragile then something that can eat 50 rockets) he is STILL dealing an obsenely high damage (double-damage Ogris does not hurt as much as his regular shots!) and he STILL looks lazy as hell. So even if you do manage to learn how to kick his &#!, he is STILL wrong and i would STILL want to punish the bastard that made him into this game, it's just that now i wish he had done a better job instead of never doing it in the first place.

Edited by ReiganCross

The point isn't the difficulty of the boss. The point is the boss is poorly made, and it is.

-Deals excessive spash damage with its plasma bolt attack.

-Explosions from attacks make it plain hard to see what's going on, such as other attacks, or where the boss is.

-Homing rockets also deal high amounts of damage and are difficult to avoid.

-Has no distinct phases or patterns, simply goes to missile barrage at every 1/3 of hp lost.

-Attacks constantly, making using cover more difficult than it needs to be.

Nothing about raptor is fun or really exciting. It flies and slings damage at you, and that's it. I stand firmly by my statement that DE's team for making bosses needs to go play Metroid Prime for when they go to redesign as so they know how a boss should feel.

Before some of you reply about the building, or whatever, hush, those are valid complaints. I've farmed raptor countless times, using Frost and just laughing with globe, to running around and taking pop shots at it, and using Ash and exploiting invisibility. I know how to beat the boss just fine, doesn't change the fact this boss is garbage.

Edited by Numot

The point isn't the difficulty of the boss. The point is the boss is poorly made, and it is.

-Deals excessive spash damage with its plasma bolt attack.

-Explosions from attacks make it plain hard to see what's going on, such as other attacks, or where the boss is.

-Homing rockets also deal high amounts of damage and are difficult to avoid.

-Has no distinct phases or patterns, simply goes to missile barrage at every 1/3 of hp lost.

-Attacks constantly, making using cover more difficult than it needs to be.

Nothing about raptor is fun or really exciting. It flies and slings damage at you, and that's it. I stand firmly by my statement that DE's team for making bosses needs to go play Metroid Prime for when they go to redesign as so they know how a boss should feel.

Before some of you reply about the building, or whatever, hush, those are valid complaints. I've farmed raptor countless times, using Frost and just laughing with globe, to running around and taking pop shots at it, and using Ash and exploiting invisibility. I know how to beat the boss just fine, doesn't change the fact this boss is garbage.

Thank you!

You forgot to mention that he STILL holds unconfortable ammounts of HP... That is true of EVERY boss in the game, but it doesn't make it less valid here.

Still, thank you!

Raptor is the biggest troll of the bosses.

Butt rockets is one of the worst designs here.

Fights turn quickly out to be just an opaque giant blob where you can see nothing while the Raptor lolhovers all about.

And it was even worse when the thing spilled the drops all about so you could NEVER find them. If it really dropped anything at all.

I recommend Volt against him (though my shield bugged out once against him - or was that a ninja update by DE?).

I do not agree about what you say about cover. If you feel like this you should maybe play some higher level (NM) missions. I'm sure you'll begin to value the numerous possibilities of breaking LoS (and Line of Fire).

tl;dr (kind of):

get rid of the ridiculous 360 degree MLRS barrage and just replace with a shield stealing ability. Reduce the opaque effects and keep the game playable. I'm having enough Torid cloud spam in my defense missions.

Well, by phase 6 you notice how @(*()$ lazy he is... Also, i just noticed that he have rockets, i was having problems with his regular explosive shots and aparently he wasn't one-shotting me, (So yeah, the rockets weren't the problem, i was just assuming those were regular shots but i can see them now.) i just wasn't recovering because all of the things were managing to get a shot at me, so i have to wait way more then i'd like at the house to give my shields apropriate time to recover -.-'... Which means, longass times of the game that i spend waiting inside a house... What's that house made of anyways? That thing could take a nuclear explosion and be perfectly unscratched, and it's glass too, damn that's badass! (Yeah, since i'm waiting inside that house so much i start wondering about stuff like that...)

Also, i have a huge problem with step 8, but i think DE is actually aware of that one, so i won't be talking much there.

And i hate having to use full-leveled gear to take that sonava*@##$ down, mainly because that's a S#&$load of Affinity i'm not gonna get. Affinity completely wasted... Which is why you'll usually never see me with lvl30 gear.

And even with all that into concideration. He STILL have way too much health for something that should be flying (especially because he looks way more fragile then something that can eat 50 rockets) he is STILL dealing an obsenely high damage (double-damage Ogris does not hurt as much as his regular shots!) and he STILL looks lazy as hell. So even if you do manage to learn how to kick his &#!, he is STILL wrong and i would STILL want to punish the bastard that made him into this game, it's just that now i wish he had done a better job instead of never doing it in the first place.

Exactly, if you're rocking a sub-par gear situation with a boss, you should be getting your &#! handed to you, because this is a boss. It's not some mid-tier minion, it's something designed to seriously wreck whatever it's pointed at. If anything, I'd say the rest of the bosses in this game are too forgiving with damage as you can solo them with level 15 gear without too much trouble. 

As with tactics.... I also began by staying at the house in the middle when I started out because I thought that would be tactically sound. And yes, it is, but it's boring as hell. So instead, I began trying to figure out how to move about the level instead and learned that the crates serve as good hiding spots. However, when that guy begins spamming missiles in his three phases, then it's time to head to any cover. However, if you stick close to the walls of an open crate, you just might make it >:D (and yes, that totally gets your blood pumping)

This boss can be boring if you just cheese him, but if you train on how to avoid his missiles (and those incredibly annoying mines) you'll have a decent challenge ahead of you which requires skill.

What I noticed was that squishy frames and this boss are a no go. No really, you're never seeing me go at him in a squishy frame in solo, because that's way too masochistic for me.

As odd as it sounds, get a Trinity.  Trinity completely ruins any challenge in fighting this boss (or any boss for that matter) because she can land a Link on him and turn all his damage back at himself while Energy Vamping him to just keep it up infinitely while her teammates pound him into dust.  With Trinity being completely invulnerable for the entire fight if you're doing it right (and her whole team will be invulnerable for most of it thanks to Blessing) killing bosses is about the only thing she's is good for, so exploit it for all it's worth!

Edited by Trylobyte

Oh no, a boss is hard and requires me to play tactically.

I want to stand around and mindlessly shoot at it until it dies. Please make the game more mindless because i'm too lazy to play properly.

This is not an unreasonable request at all.

Sometimes I wonder why i read these forums.

I want to stand around and mindlessly shoot at it until it dies. Please make the game more mindless because i'm too lazy to play properly.

A bigger question would be why you bother posting something so silly, since you can effectively do exactly that with a Frost - seriously, I didn't even need to move when I farmed it.

The OP's exactly right that some of the bosses are simply lazy (and Raptor's a good example); they're not challenging, they're tedious. Hell, I actually wound up injecting my own challenges into that fight (including killing him with melee) to keep it entertaining.

The difference between challenging and tedious is something that DE seems to have trouble grasping: For example, lifting a 300 lbs. weight? That's challenging. Lifting a 1 lbs. weight 300 times? That's tedious.

S-S-Strawman

Combo Breaker

Fatality

Raptor targets Loki while invis... true story.  

First time I saw 900 seeking missiles chasing my invisible-butt around the map my eyes must have been as big as dinner plates... sure hope those sensors don't proliferate or I'm screwed.

That's because with this poor AI, the game doesn't really know when you're invisible or not. You'll see, if you get invisible, run to the corner and stand still for a minute, that a lot of enemy will run to your EXACT location and stand right in your face until you show up, because they know not to shoot you while you're invisible, but they know the spot you're in with 100% accuracy, they've just been coded not to shoot you to make it sound like they don't. This is the worst enemy acting i'v ever seen in a game, almost worst then the idiots at Skyrim that take an arrow to the face and thinks it's just the wind.

If i could, i would probably punch you in the face. Ok, maybe not so much as a straight punch to the face since this is just a game, but you certainly must be punished for putting this abomination in my otherwise awesome game. So i though you'd like to know that i hate you for creating Raptor.

Till next time!

Blizzard do boss fights.

DE do char animation and free flowing combat.

1 day they will stop being arrogant and just trying to copy games they played and liked and think about what they are doing and PLAY TEST what they create.

If anyone who had anything to do with this boss thinks they did something cool they need taking to the car park and handed their P45 or as you said, just punched.

Far too much incoming damage.

Too hard to hit Raptor.

It does nothing. No swooping. No covering.

Your shots do not seem to register even though his health does SEEM to go down. Same issue as with super moa tank spawns.

This is an awful boss fight and needs to be completely revamped into something special.

I kinda like this boss in the sense that it's the one that nearly killed.

Well ok, not exactly true, I died once on sargas ruk because I didn't noticed him putting the reverse field on me just as I opened fire and I had Afruis more modded than god which killed me in less than a second lol... Still I killed myself, I refuse to admit it was sargas ruk that killed me! :P

This one boss however, I thought, I go in, use ironskin if I need and I'll just lol at his damage like I do in ever boss fight... Newp! Better run for the cover or I'll get my &#! blown... Now it's not that he is hard to kill or hard to survive, decent shields like 500 is more than enough, along with the braton fully modded. but hey, at least I respect him for having what the other don't have... The abillity to kill me.