Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which Warframe Best 'Suits' Each Month?

LokiBird

• 4 weeks later...
On February 25, 2018 at 1:07 AM, (PS4)watt4hem said:

I wouldn't have the patience to sculpt that skana... Also, how did you not have any fingerprints? In my case, when i used some lotion to smooth the surfaces, it still has fingeprints (even tho i use almost no pressure)

Thanks! It took me a while... Lol 

He actually does have fingerprints on his body and limbs currently.

I usually gently sand the clay, after baking, to remove any remaining fingerprints. The Skana and his helmet have both been sanded after baking. (The rest, limbs and body, have not been baked yet. I bake in stages. Head sculpted and baked first, in this case. Baking in stages is super nice because you don't have to worry about ruining the part you were already finished with!)

If you absolutely have to remove all fingerprints before baking, make sure your clay isn't too soft. If it's too soft, no matter what you do, you will have a hard time. It won't hold its shape, and it will show fingerprints crazy easily. (To make polymer clay less soft: roll the clay out in a 1/8 inch or so sheet and put between two sheets of paper for a while. The paper sucks out some of that extra clay softener. Take the clay out after the paper looks like it has sucked up a good amount, and try kneading it again. Still too soft? Repeat with a fresh set of paper or just use a part of the old paper that isn't saturated, depending on the size of your clay sheet. Too dry/crumbly now? Add a drop of clay softener. Knead that one drop in before adding any more, one drop at a time, or you'll be right back with way too soft clay again!)

If your clay isn't too soft but still has fingerprints, either gently wipe down your sculpture before baking with a damp (with water for very gentle smoothing or rubbing alcohol for more vigorous smoothing) q-tip/cotton ball or you can use a light dusting of cornstarch before you smooth out any part of your sculpture. Note: if you use too much cornstarch, you may have to scrub your sculpture with a toothbrush after baking to remove white residue.

Whoops... Accidentally wrote a tutorial... Lol! Ah, well. Hope it helps!

Edited by LokiBird
Minor edits

10 hours ago, LokiBird said:

-snip-

Whoops... Accidentally wrote a tutorial... Lol! Ah, well. Hope it helps!

Thanks! Like, a lot!

I've dabble in sculpting a bit last year and the fingerprints and accidental pushing is the bane of my sculptings lol

I'll be doing it again later this year for stopmos, really hard to look these kinda stuff up online.. so this helps a ton :community:

1 hour ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

Thanks! Like, a lot!

I've dabble in sculpting a bit last year and the fingerprints and accidental pushing is the bane of my sculptings lol

I'll be doing it again later this year for stopmos, really hard to look these kinda stuff up online.. so this helps a ton :community:

Oh, good! Glad to be of help! If there's ever anything else you want to ask about sculpting with polymer clay, feel free to hit me up! I have more knowledge than skill IMO... lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Final Update:

Hey guys, it's me again.

I am not going to be able to continue with this project.

All my progress so far... has been destroyed. -sad laugh-

I was already behind schedule, and now...

Anyways. Maybe you'll see me sculpt something else in the future, but for now... I'm a bit depressed.

Thank you for all your interest and encouragement.

LokiBird out.