The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek vs Vaykor Hek for start (no forma)

Kelpie77

Question

Hi
i know the whole "Scattered Justice Hek vs Vaykor Hek" is a bit of a religious matter; anyway, i'm about to hit 125k in Steel Meridian and i sure will spend them on Vaykor Hek.

I read a lot of build around and many people arguing "is the best" "outdamage everything" "turn your frame in a godly damaging machine" "will let you go in bed with Cressa Tal" and similar answers; however, most of those build are using 2-3 primed mod, 5 forma and someone also a riven mod. Ok i guess with all the forma and primed and riven also the Lato will be a good a bit decent weapon...
So i'm guessing: if i got no primed mod for shotgun (1), and no forma yet, is Vaykor Hek better than Hek? What build can i try for it?
Of course i'm planning on put some forma on it, but at the moment i need to use it without them.

My Hek is using Scattered Justice (the steel meridian one), then Point Blank, Hell's Chamber, Vigilante Armament (for +multishot) and then elemental damage (i got both Frigid Blast and Scattering Inferno). I don't remember if i squeezed also Accelerated Blast in it... with at least one config i used a +reload speed mod, but don't remember if it's in the one i use mostly, or not.
With this Hek i have some problem with lvl 80-100 enemies in sortie (mainly because 4 shot are very few... :| ). It's ok, i don't bring my IS Rhino for dps, but having a good weapon sometime is what make the difference...

ty for your advice :)

(1) i got just a few primed mods 'cause Baro keep bringing up useless things. However, now my Liset look really cool :D and finally also my twin grakata looks good... :)

6 answers to this question

Assuming those are all the mods you got available I think you should rather concentrate on getting the missing damage mods and then run a few fissures for Forma.

Without proper loadouts you'll probably find that your Hek deals more damage per shot but the Vaykor Hek ends up having higher DPS due to the larger magazine. The Vaykor Hek is typically built around its higher crit chance. Since both of them are mainly puncture weapons neither of them is typically built for status, so once you can, drop your dual status mods and save them for the Tigris Prime once you reach MR13.

Weapons in this game don't make a difference, it's the mods. Don't neglect on your forma game and always have one cooking... it's extremely easy to get (I'm seriously having a problem spending like 5 minute getting forma BP, I'm just that lazy).
I think you should spend more on the weapon you like more, but due to how status chance calculate in this game in regards to multishot and shotguns, the 25% status 2 guns shared means squat, specially because of the puncture nature of the weapon. That means the +crit of vhek is very important. Don't bother with the status, at all, either gun. You can be more flexible with hek because it's raw damage with the multishot mod taking only one slot, while vhek crit need at least 2 slot for +crit and +cd...

All my personal opinion, I think more people can help you better to choose. Also the reload time means squat when everything is dead in 8 / 4 clip.
Forgot to mention this, 25% crit means vhek can abuse Hunter MunitionA major game changer. That mod is just so strong.

I rolled with a Hek through a majority of the star chart, then switched to the Vaykor Hek. 

Short answer, if you have Primed Ravage go with the Vaykor.  If not stick with the base Hek with Scattered Justice until you pick it up.  That mod IMHO is what makes the Vaykor Hek shine

I like to make use of Radiation and Toxic damage as my all purpose combo. And maybe the Hek would be the solid go to as you collect more mods and get formas. As the V. Hek has a Vazarin 'D' polarity that can be limiting as the only Shotgun mod that I can think of is Chilling Grasp, to fit Cold and Corrosive on.

Depending on what other shotgun mods you have, here is one build to shoot for, with the idea of trying to build for that damage combo, so Scattering Inferno works:

wcYdNVI.png

I prioritize the heavy hitters, so that's why I like the Radiation and Puncture combos, like against Naplam, and you get chances to get the Confusion proc along with the Syndicate blast wave for extra CC. I have Toxin on there to help deal damage to Ferrite or bypass Corpus Shields.

Hope you find this helpful.

Thank you everyone for your help and advices :)

i know is a good thing to apply forma on a weapon you use (i used 3 or 4 forma on my Rhino and i should use another one :D ) but before i need to know if is worth more applying forma on Hek or rank up Vaykor Hek (and apply forma on it, etc)

Basing on what you replied me, if i can't put some mod for +Crit and prime variant of point blank and ravage, is not worth it. Of course it will be worth it whenever i should find those mods, so the problem now is: squeeze what can i put more on the Hek (ie using some forma on it) while i wait for better mod to switch on Vaykor, or start using Vaykor and it will be better with prime mod?