Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uncle Thay's slightly biased look at the new Zephyr

Birdframe_Prime

Am 13.2.2018 um 09:26 schrieb ObviousLee:

i actually have a workaround for the tight confined spaces issue. It's a two fold fix that only part of which has been implemented in the past a few times, but the latter has yet to be but I believe effectively could be.

So, first off, give an extra meter or two width to tileset hallways, and that halfway remedies the inherent issue of constant flight. This has been done in the past, most notably in U12 when zephyr was introduced. Secondly, is a two part solution in tandem with changing tailwind to a persistent flight mode: remove the duration attachment to tailwind and make it strength scaling for lets say burst speed. You then tie stock flight speed to sprint speed, and your sprint key now makes you do the burst speed that we're used to seeing in current tailwind use. So, if it's set up like this I imagine a lot of issues being fixed, but that's up for discussion.

So, here's what I'm thinking. Tailwind distance and speed set for power strength, and the quick burst we all use is set to the pressing of 1. Now, for the actual flight mechanic, we utilize the charge function. Now as for hover we can use either the aim function to engage the hover as to make mapping easier for controller users, or the jump feature. Either way (personally I'm partial to the aim function to allow for the use of the hover but that's just me).

So what this winds up doing is the use of all the currently existing mechanics OF tailwind, but in a more controlled and cohesive function without having to min/max your tailwind versus the rest of your kit for nearly universal application.  Hover can still be used frequently, and tactically, tailwind now has much greater control, the tilesets can now accomodate the use of the skill better, and we can now actually focus on building for travel speed effectively while bolstering the rest of her kit at the same time. And ultimately, this gives answer to my burning desire to see Zephyr put on par as a viable option to Titania as opposed to one being subjectively better in terms of mechanics. It ALSO allows for one to effectively build around and for her new tailwind augment instead of it being useless as it currently is.

Copy pasta from some of my input on two other threads. Your thoughts? 

so i guess this is the post u were referring to plz correct me if i m wrong

most hallways r rather short and quite a lot of them have obstackles so i dont think just widening them will solve anything

i will repeat it again that i believe tailwind shouldnt be used here but instead turbulence and normal movement maneuver

persistent flight sounds more like a passive to me but i support ur ideas about the moving though if implemented, though i d like to see a reduce in energy cost if tailwind becomes zephyrs main movement ability 

but like with volts speedbuff i think many ppl will start running into walls or get stuck on any small things in the way because the high speed makes the frame harder to control on smaller rooms and so on

how do u want implement the quick burst? i d say it should simply grant a certain amount of forward momentum idk if strength scaling is a good idea  considering how max strength could catapult u into orbit right through the wall instead of letting u glide into the next room, so after the momentum was granted it should fall off fast(?) and while falling off we can adjust the direction of zephyrs movement the influence of the adjustment should be dependant on the current momentum 

though this type of movement will make it hard when trying to get close to something for interaction then we r back to landing which will have an animation...costing time and disrupting game flow similar problem with titania which cant even interact with stuff while in flightmode...

11 minutes ago, Lord_Yawgmoth said:

so i guess this is the post u were referring to plz correct me if i m wrong

most hallways r rather short and quite a lot of them have obstackles so i dont think just widening them will solve anything

i will repeat it again that i believe tailwind shouldnt be used here but instead turbulence and normal movement maneuver

persistent flight sounds more like a passive to me but i support ur ideas about the moving though if implemented, though i d like to see a reduce in energy cost if tailwind becomes zephyrs main movement ability 

but like with volts speedbuff i think many ppl will start running into walls or get stuck on any small things in the way because the high speed makes the frame harder to control on smaller rooms and so on

how do u want implement the quick burst? i d say it should simply grant a certain amount of forward momentum idk if strength scaling is a good idea  considering how max strength could catapult u into orbit right through the wall instead of letting u glide into the next room, so after the momentum was granted it should fall off fast(?) and while falling off we can adjust the direction of zephyrs movement the influence of the adjustment should be dependant on the current momentum 

though this type of movement will make it hard when trying to get close to something for interaction then we r back to landing which will have an animation...costing time and disrupting game flow similar problem with titania which cant even interact with stuff while in flightmode...

Well the flight speed for activation would essentially be very moderate. You know when you're moving forward at a sedate jog versus holding sprint?  Think of a happy middle ground between those speeds. Slow enough to allow for easy control in said confined spaces but fast enough to justify being in the air. This also means your burst speed would be tied to the sprint function. It's a simple modifier honestly. Small obstacles would then become a non issue as they'd be easy to avoid and in straight hallways 

Making dive bomb be triggered on collision would also fix the issue of enemies clogging up hallways, as it would turn her into an airborne bulldozer. As far as collision on just enemies versus enemies and surfaces, that's a conversation we can all have.