Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Charge Attack Rework

(PSN)Croewe

So first of all these are ideas that just popped into my head that I want to get on paper so it's more of a brainstorm then anything.

So you can activate the channel ability on melee then you drain 2 energy a second to charge your melee then after you disable it you have 2x damage (this takes channeling DMG mods into account) for double the amount of time you charged it. Perhaps while charging you get a 50% increase to damage based on the channeling damage.

I dunno the idea is a bit rough but I figured I wanted to get it out there before it slipped away.

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

I don't think Charge attacks needs special treatments, except for the possibility to charge even when the melee isn't the active weapon, ATM only Blade & Whips can do it.

With a friend I've collected some data regarding all charge attacks and here are the results:

Spoiler

9WqTD28.png

Stats on paper are pretty tuna strong, but problems are: 

• You're charging for a while (time required depends on the weapon category) in a semi-immovable position unaffected by any mod, to be precise only the "release" is affected by Attack Speed.
  • This is probably the first time I see these stats publicly, I'm planning to put them somewhere in the Wiki but I've other things to do before.
  • When DE has reintroduced the mechanic they just said that it double/triple the damage output, not properly appealing if you consider the first point and the fact that attacks per sec are affected by Attack Speed

I've probably missed the purpose of this discussion, but let me say that also channelling is pretty terrible: you sacrifice precious energy for a multiplier that's additive to the Combo Counter (e.g. 50% channelling bonus with a 1.5x of combo multiplier means 2.0x of damage). 

That's some interresting stats you got for us there bud.

Channeling was up for a rework I think, hopefully they will take a second look at charge attacks as well, I like them and slide attacks far more than actually performing 'combos' (god, I hate that word). I just wish they returned to how they where, that or just feeling somewhat fluid.

10 hours ago, TonnoTuna said:

I don't think Charge attacks needs special treatments, except for the possibility to charge even when the melee isn't the active weapon, ATM only Blade & Whips can do it.

With a friend I've collected some data regarding all charge attacks and here are the results:

Hide contents

9WqTD28.png

Stats on paper are pretty tuna strong, but problems are: 

• You're charging for a while (time required depends on the weapon category) in a semi-immovable position unaffected by any mod, to be precise only the "release" is affected by Attack Speed.
  • This is probably the first time I see these stats publicly, I'm planning to put them somewhere in the Wiki but I've other things to do before.
  • When DE has reintroduced the mechanic they just said that it double/triple the damage output, not properly appealing if you consider the first point and the fact that attacks per sec are affected by Attack Speed

I've probably missed the purpose of this discussion, but let me say that also channelling is pretty terrible: you sacrifice precious energy for a multiplier that's additive to the Combo Counter (e.g. 50% channelling bonus with a 1.5x of combo multiplier means 2.0x of damage). 

Thanks a lot for the testing!

And yeah, I agree. Having charge attacks available from quick-melee and having charge time scaling from speed (as well as having base charge time lowered by quite a bit...) would be really helpful. Keep them nice and similar to the Melee 1.0 charge attacks, but without the stupid "normal attacks and charge attacks use entirely separate mods" thing.

(But this thread's about channeling, so...)

OT: I'm really digging the "drains ___ energy/second" part of OP's suggestion. One of the biggest problems with channeling is that it actively discourages hitting quickly or hitting multiple times per swing, and draining energy over time instead of per hit would alleviate that.
The only problem is, having to "charge" your channeling for 30 seconds to get a 1-minute buff is a bit... awkward, considering the fast-paced nature of this game.

I'd rather keep the current system where energy is lost when you hit things, except it's a drain-per-second instead of a flat cost. Something like "Upon hit: drains __ energy per second, for 1 second" (where hitting multiple times would simply refresh the timer rather than stack the cost).

EDIT:

37 minutes ago, Practical_Tomato said:

That's some interresting stats you got for us there bud.

I can't tell if this was intentional or not, but could you have picked a more condescending way of saying that?

Edited by SortaRandom

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch180 said:

I just wish charge attacking with a glaive didn't force you to do a quick melee swipe before you actually started charging.

Still better than other weapons such as rapiers that oblige you do to a part of a combo before doing the charge attack, or you'll end up doing a hold combo instead