Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The awkward flight ceiling in the Plains of Eidolon.

BBaw

I don't understand the height ceiling in the planes of eidolon, it seems very odd and makes archwing flight awkward at times.  I don't understand much about this particular 3d environment but it seems like a flat plane at a fixed height would be a less memory intensive boundary and easier to maneuver an archwing in.    The only reason I could see for the radically varied height would be to keep the ground underneath you at a constant distance / resolution instead of getting too far above where it might look bad?  There are some points in PoE where I can stand on top of a large structure and look waaaay off down into a valley and it still looks great so I don't know.  Maybe its to keep us close enough to the terrain to keep enemies loaded in areas?  I have no idea about the reasoning but its awkward to fly in nonetheless.  Feels like we're being pressed into the ground sometimes.

It was probably done for LOD reasons.  The higher you go, the more of the map it has to show you at any given time, and naturally we don't crappy LOD textures.

Of course I could be wrong, just my theory.

Still would be nice if they raised the ceiling by about 50 meters all around, and made it the same height across the map.  I find it weird when you fly over a hill and suddenly you're being forced downwards because the ceiling itself isn't consistent or flat.  

I'm hoping they port over the new terrain rendering system they showed for Venus, to the Plains - perhaps if they do that, the problem would be fixed a bit, since terrain wouldn't be such a burden. 

Edited by (PS4)lagrue