The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No PS4 controller support on PC?

JayGar187

Just got a new controller, Scuf Impact, its PS4 and PC compatible. I figured since the game is on PS4 already that it would work just like an Xbox controller on the PC. Is there gonna be any support for this any time soon? I really don't want to send it back :sadcry:

If using a controller on PC is something you haven't done before: you need separate drivers. If you're on Windows 7 there's no native support for PS4 controllers, and in Windows 10 it still needs to be 'translated' since the API for Sony and Microsoft products differ.

You can get your device translated through the Steam API but that comes with a host of problems and I wouldn't recommend it. Beyond that there are several independent APIs designed to help. 

Sorry if you knew this and your problem is something else, it's just best to check the basics first.  

9 hours ago, JayGar187 said:

Just got a new controller, Scuf Impact, its PS4 and PC compatible. I figured since the game is on PS4 already that it would work just like an Xbox controller on the PC. Is there gonna be any support for this any time soon? I really don't want to send it back :sadcry:

During the time when I worked for Microsoft, I learned one very important thing.  Microsoft cannot legally make drivers for devices of other companies.  They would get sued for anti-trust policy violations.  This is the result of the legal government actions against them from the 90's that other OS makers are able to ignore now.  

In short, Sony has to make the drivers for their controllers if they want them to work properly on Windows.  MS can't do it for fear of both getting sued by Sony and additional government sanctions against them.  

18 hours ago, Dawson1917 said:

Look up and download DS4Windows.

This. Keep in mind, DS4 may behave a bit wonky in some games(namely, some controller buttons may be mapped wrongly by default) but IMO it's worth it, DS4 is way better than 99% of other gamepads.

52 minutes ago, Siilk said:

This. Keep in mind, DS4 may behave a bit wonky in some games(namely, some controller buttons may be mapped wrongly by default) but IMO it's worth it, DS4 is way better than 99% of other gamepads.

They can thankfully bypass the mapping problem by just remapping the controls and creating profiles, all in all I've had a lot of good use from the program so I recommend it as well, OP.

13 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

During the time when I worked for Microsoft, I learned one very important thing.  Microsoft cannot legally make drivers for devices of other companies.  They would get sued for anti-trust policy violations.  This is the result of the legal government actions against them from the 90's that other OS makers are able to ignore now.  

In short, Sony has to make the drivers for their controllers if they want them to work properly on Windows.  MS can't do it for fear of both getting sued by Sony and additional government sanctions against them.

Kinda off-topic, but every time a Windows update has messed with InputMapper (my preferred API) or just controller behavior in general, I've though to myself: Sony's and Microsoft's legal teams could easily work this out before lunch and the coders could fix the remainder in the afternoon. 

How hard, I wonder, would it be to present the finished product to government regulators and convince them that a simple quality-of-life update for consumers isn't going to threaten anti-trust policies which have proved to be almost entirely ineffectual anyway?

Then they could all head out to after-work and raise a glass at successfully doing something positive for their respective consumers and constituents and there wouldn't be so much hassle of over a problem which can only be described as fundamentally trifling but with entirely disproportional negative effects.

Or am I missing something? I'm not a lawyer and damn proud of it.  

4 hours ago, Wiergate said:

Kinda off-topic, but every time a Windows update has messed with InputMapper (my preferred API) or just controller behavior in general, I've though to myself: Sony's and Microsoft's legal teams could easily work this out before lunch and the coders could fix the remainder in the afternoon. 

How hard, I wonder, would it be to present the finished product to government regulators and convince them that a simple quality-of-life update for consumers isn't going to threaten anti-trust policies which have proved to be almost entirely ineffectual anyway?

Then they could all head out to after-work and raise a glass at successfully doing something positive for their respective consumers and constituents and there wouldn't be so much hassle of over a problem which can only be described as fundamentally trifling but with entirely disproportional negative effects.

Or am I missing something? I'm not a lawyer and damn proud of it.  

Microsoft adding QoL improvements to Windows was what caused all the anti-trust stuff in the first place.  I know crazy right, but that's what happened.  They are still to this day forced to comply with the regulation even if others don't.  

So, it Sony's issue to fix and/or provide any support for their controllers.  

2 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Microsoft adding QoL improvements to Windows was what caused all the anti-trust stuff in the first place.  I know crazy right, but that's what happened. 

Wait wut?

2 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

So, it Sony's issue to fix and/or provide any support for their controllers.  

Well, **** So, when Hell has frozen over thrice and pig flights are so frequent they disrupt air traffic. Great. Just great.