Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] The First: Gathering

Kalenath

Maybe.... Any guesses on Elizibeth? She has "metal" eyes... I can't think of a frame that would fit to... Although I assume Lynn would be Trinity, just, yeah.

I'm thinking Mag for Elizabeth with the metal and magnetic powers of Mag.

It just seems right

I'm thinking Mag for Elizabeth with the metal and magnetic powers of Mag.

It just seems right

I just thought, her eyes are covered, this is a huge stretch, but maybe Lotus? "Eyeless slag". the Grineer called her. Maybe??? Of course this all assumes that the Lotus is/was human at one point and not an AI as we were led to believe from the last story.

Like I said, HUGE stretch, but it may be a possibility.

Also, where do you get the magnetic powers from? So far we know nothing about Elizabeth's powers. And I don't know, I imagine her tall. And Mag happens to be one of, if not the shortest frame(s).

Edited by 22tankmaster

I just thought, her eyes are covered, this is a huge stretch, but maybe Lotus? "Eyeless slag". the Grineer called her. Maybe??? Of course this all assumes that the Lotus is/was human at one point and not an AI as we were led to believe from the last story.

Only problem with that is that the Lotus isn't black.

Also, where do you get the magnetic powers from? So far we know nothing about Elizabeth's powers. And I don't know, I imagine her tall. And Mag happens to be one of, if not the shortest frame(s).

I think she will be able to, for lack of a better word, see the magnetic fields of a metal, and somehow manipulate it.

Are we all really going to start assuming what frames they gonna be? For all we know, Kalenath is giving us a story which foreshadows future frames...

That or he secretly works for DE and is trying to give us hints of whats to come...EITHER WAY, USA, England and Russia? TIS GONNA BE GOOD

but then again, this is a Kalenath production...its always good...ALWAYS :3

High Level Diplomacy

Galina swallowed as two video screens came alive. One showing a man she didn't know, apparently this Cameron who she had never heard of. The other one she knew. Vladimir Putin was not happy.

YA khotel by pogovorit' s moyey zemlyachke v odinochku. (I would talk to my countrywoman alone.) The Russian President said sharply in Russian.

"I am afraid that is not possible." The President of the United States after a translation appeared on a screen nearby. Galina quailed a bit. Hayden's hand, which she still held, gave hers a squeeze. Putin looked to turn livid, but the African American President shook his head. "These are not my terms, President Putin. These four have chosen to stand together and sequester themselves from the human race."

Eto smeshno (This is ridiculous.) Putin snapped. Eti chetyre ? Amerikanskiy ubiytsa , amerikanskiy morskoy , vrach i odin iz moikh lyudey reshili ... chto? Brosit' vyzov vsem nam ? (These four? An American assassin, an American Marine, a doctor and one of my people have decided...what? To defy us all?) Obama looked at Hayden who nodded.

"Not if we can help it, President Putin." Hayden said calmly. "But we have a major problem. And by we, I mean 'us'..." He indicated the three others with him. "The others have taken my name. I...feel humbled by that. I was the first. It is a grave responsibility."

Vy Khayden Tenno ? (You are Hayden Tenno.) Putin asked after a moment. Hayden nodded. My v dolgu pered vami dolg za Lasria , no to, chto vy prosite ... Eto nevozmozhno. (We owe you a debt for Lasria, but what you ask... It is impossible.)

"Sir." Hayden said softly. "This virus must not be allowed out. What I faced in Lasria makes any history book telling of horror pale in comparison. Perhaps one of the survivors of what your people call 'The Great Patriotic War' would understand. No one else. I know you have seen reports. Your intelligence agencies have made full reports. The human race came with a hairsbreadth of an Infected Apocalypse, sir." Putin nodded soberly and Hayden continued. "The four of us have sworn not to let that happen again." Galina nodded with Elizabeth and Lynn.

Tol'kochetvero iz vas ? (Just the four of you?) Putin didn't bother to hide his disbelief.

"Sir..." Hayden suddenly looked sad and tired. "We are all that we have. None of us are human anymore." Putin and the other man who hadn't spoken yet tensed at that, but the American President did not react. "The abilities we have, the powers we have... These are too powerful, sir. Begging your pardons..." Hayden said without much apology. "Putting ourselves into the services of any country would be like handing a child a loaded weapon with the safety off." Obama and Cameron winced at that, Putin did not. " All that will happen is death and destruction to no end. I have nothing against any member of humanity as long as they do not attack me or mine. But I am not human anymore. I haven't been human since Lasria." Putin shook his head, obviously stunned by this.

"What will you do?" The other man asked. David Cameron, Prime Minister of England. Hayden looked at Lynn who nodded and spoke evenly.

"We will find somewhere remote." Lynn said softly. "Our...abilities grant us resistance to weather extremes. We will study this virus, this affliction. We will see if we can find a way back. But until we do..." She shrugged. "We saw what happened in Lasria."

To, chto Soyedinennyye Shtaty sdelali v Lasria (What the United States did in Lasria.) Putin snapped. I my dolzhny doveryat' dvukh amerikanskikh agentov , chtoby ne sdelat' eto snova ? (And we should trust two American agents not to do it again?) He demanded.

"No." Galina said softly but clearly. Suddenly all eyes were on her. "Hayden is not American now. Elizabeth is not American now. Lynn is not English now. I am not Lasrian now. We are Tenno." She said calmly. "No more, no less." Hayden squeezed her hand again.

Vy deystvitel'no verite , chto bezumiye , devochka? (You really believe that insanity, girl?) Putin asked, his tone bemused.

Da. Galina snapped. YA Tenno ! (I am Tenno!) She said firmly in Russian and then switched back to English. "My family died in Lasria, Presidents Obama and Putin, Prime Minister Cameron. My family was poor, but we believed in our government. Foolish, perhaps..." She said softly. "But we believed. Where was our government, sir?" She demanded of Putin who looked at her.

Gde ty byl , kogda moya sem'ya pogibla ? (Where were you when my family died?) She snapped in Russian. Kogda ya prosnulsya v kletke muchit'sya v techeniye mnogikh let ? Gde pravitel'stvo? (When I woke in a cage to be tormented for years? Where was the government? ) She swallowed heavily. Krome vracha, kotoryy " izuchal" menya ... Vse ostal'nyye govorili na russkom yazyke (Except for the doctor who 'studied' me... All the others spoke Russian.) She glared at Putin and he actually seemed to recoil. Vy ne znali, chto , a vam? (You didn't know that, did you?) She asked with a wince.

"Nyet." Putin's face was ashen. YA etogo ne sdelal. (I did not.) His face became stern now. No eto oruzhiye ... (But this weapon...) He broke off as Galina shook her head. Chto? (What?)

"This must never happen again." Galina said sadly in English. Hayden squeezed her hand again. "We cannot allow this to happen again. We must not. We escaped horror unimaginable due to Hayden's actions, but he was lucky." All three heads of state looked at Hayden who nodded.

"I was." Hayden agreed. "Mezner didn't want to kill me. He was insane, but to the very end, he thought he could sway me to his side. Dixon's choice to try to use him was...misguided at best." Putin looked thunderous, but Hayden raised a hand. "Sir..." He interjected before Putin could speak. "If the USSR had found the virus first during the Cold War, what would they have done with it?" Putin looked like he had swallowed something sour, but then he nodded.

Proveryal. (Tested it.) The President of Russian said with a sigh. Pri etom izmenyayetsya malo. Eto moshchnoye oruzhiye. (This changes little. It is a powerful weapon.)

"Agreed." Hayden said softly. "But... I need to tell you three something that I haven't told anyone. Not even Lynn." The others around Hayden stared at him and the heads of state did. "Several of the more powerful Infected I fought were older than 1987. Far older." Putin froze, Obama likewise. Cameron shook his head.

"If it was a bioweapon, where did they come from?" The Prime Minister of England asked carefully. "The Infected that I saw a report on were all humans who were infected by the virus, hence the name."

"I don't know." Hayden said quietly. "And that scares me. They were fast, smart and capable of hurling bolts of electromagnetic energy from their hands. One of them used a former GRU Colonel named Yargo Mensik as bait for me. It failed, and all the others as well. But I have no idea where they came from."

"Bozhe moi" Galina said as the Russian president said the exact same thing and the American President cursed under his breath.

"You see the problem." Hayden nodded. "If these things are still out there -and some could turn invisible so it is entirely possible some slipped the cordon-..." At that, the Obama actually gulped and Hayden nodded again. "A conventional military will not be able to find them. Let alone fight them."

Tak chto zhe vy predla#$$ete? (So what do you propose?) Putin said, calming a bit.

"I propose you let us prepare to fight them,." Hayden said softly. Galina stared at him and he smiled a bit at her. "Not all of us are fighters, but none of us wish this virus to spread any further than it has. Technically, we will not be a military. More a special response team."

"You consider yourself some kind of superhero?" Cameron asked in the silence that fell.

"No." Hayden said simply. "There are limits to even my arrogance." He said with a smile. "I am a being with powers that humans do not have. But I am not invincible."

"What would you need?" Obama asked after they had digested the information for a moment.

"I am going to be trying to duplicate the armor that I wear." Hayden said quietly. Putin glared at him and Hayden shrugged. "I can't take it off, sir. And it was the only way to win in Lasria. Technically, I did steal it. But no one else would be able to use it." His eyes narrowed. "How many men died trying?"

Zapisey , kotoryye dostupny ne govoryat. (The records that are available do not say.) Putin said with a grimace. Tol'ko to, chto lyudi umerli posle sdachi yego. (Only that men died after putting it on.)

"I can believe it." Haydn said with a sigh. "It hurt like hell."

"One thing I do not understand..." Cameron said before anyone else could speak. Hayden looked at him and he nodded. "The records I have seen say you suffer from congenital analgia, an inability to feel pain."

"Yes. But that was before I was infected." Hayden corrected the Prime Minister quietly. "After? Oh yeah, I felt pain. It was heck of a shock. First time in my life I felt pain was when Mezner's subordinate stabbed me in the shoulder to inject me with the virus." Cameron and Obama winced at that, Putin remained stonefaced.

"So the four of you who have been infected with the virus wish to sequester yourselves." Obama said with a nod. "Where?"

"Antarctica looks perfect." Lynn replied calmly. The three heads of state stared at her and she shrugged. "No indigenous populations, hard to access, forbidding terrain... Siberia worked but you and the Chinese found us quickly."

"Ah, yes... The Chinese... What will the Chinese do?" Cameron asked. "The reports I have seen say they haven't given up on...um...forcibly recruiting you." He said to Hayden.

"I fully expect them to keep throwing men away, sir." Hayden said with a sigh. "But if we build a citadel of some kind in the wastelands of Antarctica... Well..." He shrugged., "Men have been vanishing in Antarctica since the continent was discovered."

"But satellites would..."Cameron started and then trailed off as Hayden looked at him. He chuckled a bit and then sighed. "Never mind. You hid from satellites in Siberia. No reason you can't do it elsewhere."

Tam do sikh por , kazhetsya, net nikakoy pol'zy dlya nas ot etogo (There still seems to be no benefit to us from this.) Putin said thoughtfully. Galina nodded and replied.

"First and foremost, you do not lose any people trying to track us down." Galina said with a nod. "Second, we will not work for you. But we will not work against you either. I still feel for my home." The girl said with a sigh. "I miss my family and Lasria. I may not be human anymore, President Putin." She said with a nod. "But I do not wish to work against Russia. I do wish to stop this virus."

"How do we know you will not work against us?" Obama asked carefully. "If you are not human, then your motivations may change."

"Begging your pardon, Mr. President." Hayden said with a sigh. "We are not a government. We will not change our minds to fit tomorrow's political expediency. Every one of us has lost things to this virus. None of us want to see it happen again."

Idealizm (Idealism?) Putin asked slowly.

"No." Hayden said , still calm. "Realpolitik." He replied. Putin stared at him and then burst out laughing. Cameron and Obama also stared at him. Hayden shrugged. "We live in the real world. This virus is a horror almost beyond imagining. If it gets loose, humanity is doomed, but as Galina says, we..." He indicated the others. "We still feel for humanity. We will defend it from this virus and any who wish to use it as a weapon of war. Any." He said with a snarl. "There is your benefit, President Putin."

My ne mozhem kontrolirovat' vas. (We cannot control you.) The Russian President said softly. Hayden shook his head. Eto budet stoit' nam ochen' dorogo , chtoby poprobovat'. (It would cost us dearly to try.) Hayden nodded again and the man on the screen sighed. Chto vam nuzhno? (What do you need?)

"Very little." Hayden replied. "We wish to be left alone. Elizabeth and I are soldiers, Galina and Lynn are not. But this is non negotiable. If we hear of another lab experimenting on humans with this virus, we will stop it. Permanently. We would like not to be tripping over the various intelligence agencies in the process."

"The four of you, no matter how powerful you may be..." President Obama said with a shake of his head. "You cannot do this alone. At the very least, you could use some intelligence, could you not?"

"If we could trust it." Hayden said bluntly. "And anyone that you appoint would be loyal to you first." Galina exclaimed and he turned to her. "Galina?"

"Aunt Irina?" Galina asked with an impish smile. Hayden stared at her and then he laughed.

"What?" The President of the United States asked with a confused look that the President of Russia and the Prime Minister of England shared.

"You are right, Mr. President." Hayden said with a nod. "We could use an intelligence liaison. Someone who knows the ins and outs of the various country's agencies. Someone who we can trust as well."

"I assume you have someone in mind?" Cameron asked carefully.

"We do." Hayden agreed. "Captain irina of the SVR." Putin exhaled sharply, his face set and Hayden smiled. "I see you know her too."

Ona ... Kak vy skazali? Loose Cannon ? (She is... How you say? Loose cannon?) Putin said, his face paling. Vy khotite yeye ? (You want her?)

"She is a patriot." Hayden said with a sigh. "She believes in Russia. But she is also getting old and she cannot keep up with the younger agents. But don't tell her I said that!" He said, looking worried. Putin barked a laugh at that and Hayden grimaced. "Yes, I think she will of nicely."

"Why the SVR?" Cameron asked slowly.

"Because Irina understands how the world actually works." Hayden said with a nod. "I worked with her a few times before Lasria. And to put it frankly, I don't trust the CIA and the doctor who experimented on Lynn and Galina was a Brit." Lynn and Galina both froze and Hayden nodded. "No time to tell you two. Sorry."

"If I ever catch that man alone..." Lynn said slowly. "I will show him how my Celtish ancestors dealt with oathbreakers." Galina nodded fervently. "I don't like calling medical professionals 'quacks' but he is one. I have questions for him! Is he still on this base." She demanded. The American President shook his head and she sighed. "Pity."

"More than you know, Doctor Lynn." President Obama said with a sigh of his own. "He vanished out of the brig thirty minutes before I arrived. And the bullet is gone as well." Hayden froze and saw Galina, Lynn and Elizabeth do the same.

Pulya (Bullet?) Putin demanded. Chto pulyu? (What bullet?)

"The bullet that CIA operatives operating illegally in the United States shot me with." Galina shuddered. Putin looked thunderous and Galina shook her head. "I hurt the men responsible, sir."

"That she did. She used a snake, Vladimir." Obama said with a wince. "Remind me to never make her angry." Putin stared at them and then laughed again.

Zmeya borot'sya zmey. Khoroshaya devochka. (A snake to fight snakes. Good girl.) The President of Russia was chortling over that, but then he sobered. Eto obrazets ... Ne dolzhny stat' svobodnymi . (That sample... Must not get loose.)

"Agreed." Hayden said with a nod. "If you could get Captain Irina briefed in and on the way as soon as possible, it would be appreciated." Putin nodded.

"Da." The Russian President said with a nod. K kontsu dnya. (By the end of the day.)

"Why a Russian?" Obama asked after a moment. "I understand your bad experiences with the CIA and a British doctor."

"She is Galina's last living human kin." Hayden said quietly and all three heads of state froze. "Lynn's family mourned her and moved on. None of the rest of us have any family left. But she does. And before anyone gets any ideas. We will not negotiate. But this is one thing I will say. I take Galina's happiness very seriously. You do not want to press me on this." Putin looked at him and then nodded slowly.

Vy prinimayete na sebya obyazannosti ottsa ser'yezno. (You are taking the duties of a father seriously.) Putin said with a frown. Eto khorosho. (That is good.) But then he laughed. Hayden stared at him. Udachi . Vy budete nuzhdat'sya v etom . (Good luck. You will need it.)

"Thanks." Hayden said dryly. "If Galina and Lynn an get a ride back to Blacksburg Mr. President, I think Elizabeth and I need to find that bullet. Like now."

"You may need us, Hayden." Lynn said calmly, Galina nodded as well. "We are not combat personnel, but if anyone else is infected... You will need us."

"Lynn..." Hayden protested, but Putin cut him off.

Ne delay etogo , mal'chik. Ne delayte yeye serdit. Vy budete sozhalet' ob etom (Don't do it, boy. Don't make her angry. You will regret it.) The Russian said with a grin that faded. Vse, chto vam nuzhno , zvonite , tovarishch (Anything you need, call, Comrade.) The screen that showed him went dark.

"I never thought I would see the day Vladimir Putin called an American 'Comrade' and it wasn't mocking." Cameron said softly. "But for what it is worth, good hunting. Anything we can do. Ask." His image vanished as well.

"But you are not American anymore, are you?" Barack Obama said sadly. "Pity, but... probably for the best. What do you need?"

"Access to a Marine Corps armory for myself and Elizabeth." Hayden said with a curt nod. "Lynn, I need you and Galina to go back to the safe house in Blacksburg and get some stuff. You know what we will need. If I can get secure transport for them?" He asked the President who nodded.

"That 'safe house' is the cave with the golden wall that no one can pass?" The American President asked with a smile. Hayden groaned and the President shrugged. "It wasn't that well hidden by all accounts. I have Marines guarding it now and we will arrange Marine transportation to them there and back."

"And while they are getting what we might need, Elizabeth and I will get what we will need.: Hayden said calmly.

"Just...keep it quiet if you can." The President said with a wince. "This isn't Lasria."

"I like collateral damage about as well as any normal person does, Mr. President." Hayden said with a matching wince. "We can be discrete." Both Lynn and Galina snorted in unison at that and Hayden waved at then. "Hush..."

"You really do want to get hurt, don't you?" Obama asked with a smile. Hayden looked at him and the President shrugged. "I am married and have kids, Hayden. You have no idea."

"We will teach him." Galina said with a predatory smile that Elizabeth and Lynn shared. Suddenly Hayden looked a lot less confident. "But for now, we hunt."

"Good luck." The American President said with a nod. "And godspeed."

Edited by Kalenath

Preparations

It was a very different helicopter ride. Yes, Galina was back in a US Marine helicopter, surrounded by armed Marines. But that was the only similarity. This one as far larger and had two rotors, one at the front and one at the back. She wasn't strapped into a basket, half out of her mind from poison. She and Lynn were wearing badly fitting flight helmets, but were grateful for them. The helicopter was loud!

Galina found that she was actually enjoying this, staring at the scenery through the small windows. It helped take her mind off what was likely to come. Lynn hadn't spoken since they had clambered into the helicopter and the two squads of fully armed Marines that had been detailed to accompany they had followed suit, their weapons held carefully. But it was clear they were expecting trouble. All of the weapons were loaded. The flight crew, the squad leader and both passengers wore flight helmets. None of the Marines had taken off their helmets. All looked ready to fight.

Lynn? Galina asked in her mind. Are you okay? The doctor looked up and gave a wan smile.

Not really Lynn admitted. It hurts. Despite everything, part of me had hoped I could find a cure, go home. She slumped a bit. This is...for the best...She said sadly. But it hurts.

I know. Galina said softly. But you are not alone, Lynn. And you never will be. The younger woman promised. Lynn reached out and patted Galina's leg.

Thank you. Lynn said with gratitude and then spoke aloud. "Lieutenant? ETA?"

"About 15 minutes to where the guards have been set, Ma'am." The Marine LT whose name badge read Smithers said in a deep Southern accent. "Can you say what is going on?" Galina and Lynn looked at one another and the LT shrugged. "If not, no problem. We Marines work better in the dark anyway!" A shout of 'U-rah!' came from the Marines around them.

"They didn't say we couldn't..." Lynn said slowly. "Galina?" Galina nodded and spoke evenly.

"Lieutenant Smithers." Galina said slowly. "What we have here is either a rogue faction from an Intelligence agency or an unknown third party." The LT stared at her and Galina nodded. "We need to keep it quiet, but keeping warriors in the dark about mission parameters when we don't have to is stupid."

"Wish more brass thought that way." The Marine said darkly. "So... The base alert...?"

"A person of interest and a sample of infectious biohazard material vanished from the base. And the last thing we need right now is a panic." Galina said with a nod. Smithers stiffened and then nodded slowly. "We do not know if they are connected, but my bet is 'yes'."

"Marine's don't talk. My Marines anyway." He said with a smile. "So why are we haring off to the mountains instead of hunting?" Smithers asked after a moment. "Or can you say?"

"We left some gear in a cave there." Lynn said quietly. "We need to pick it up and bring it back. Not much, but it could be vital."

"You gonna need help?" Smithers asked after a moment.

"I don't think so." Lynn said with a sigh. "And... I don't know if you or any of your people will be able to get past the door." The LT stared at her and she shrugged. "It's complicated."

"Please don't try to get her to explain, lieutenant." Galina pleaded with the man, half humorous. "I asked a while back about it while I was recuperating from an injury and my head ached for a day or so."

"You did ask." Lynn said with a smile. "And it is all theory anyway. None of us really have a clue how it works, but it does work." Galina shook herself dramatically and Lynn smiled wider. "You did ask."

"I did and I won't ever again." Galina said clearly enough to be heard by everyone.  The marines all looked at her as she grimaced. "Lynn's idea of a 'short and concise explanation' took three hours." All of the Marines looked at each other and then pointedly looked away from Lynn who was smiling innocently.

"Don't tell stories about me, Galina." Lynn said mildly. "I had a camera while you were incapacitated." Galina looked at her and Lynn nodded. "Interesting choice of tattoo..."

"Lynn." Galina's tone was severe, but her eyes were twinkling. "Do you have any idea at all what Yargo would have done to me if I had gone and gotten a tattoo?"

"Well..." Lynn sighed and nodded. "Yeah." She said with a laugh. "I do."

"You two are crazy." Lieutenant Smithers said with a smile.

"It's laugh or scream, Lieutenant." Galina said with a shrug. "I prefer to laugh. Fewer odd looks." Lynn looked at her and Galina growled."Don't"

"Wouldn't dream of it." Lynn said with a grin and then she paused as the helicopter altered course. "Time?"

"Time." The LT agreed. Then he paused and nodded. "Guard force says the LZ is cold, but we are going to deploy as if it's hot, just in case."

"What is cold and hot?" Galina asked after a moment. "In 'Marine'?" She clarified.

"A hot Landing Zone is one where enemies are likely to be shooting at you." Smithers explained with a nod. "A cold LZ is a presumably safe one, but..." He shrugged. "Better safe than sorry and it will be good training. Get them ready to deploy, sergeant." The LT barked. "We are going to be busy for a few minutes." He said to Lynn.

"We will stay out of your way, but LT..." Lynn said carefully. "If we do tell you to run...do it. There are things bullets cannot fight." The closest Marines stared at her and she swallowed. "I have seen enough pointless death. You Marines are good, but there are limits. Please..." She half begged.

"You heard the lady." Smithers said, his face set. "Sergeant."

"Yes, sir. You all heard the specialist!" The sergeant snapped. "Game faces on, people! Ten minutes to landing. I want a ready check and yes that means you too, Connors. Get your head out of the clouds and check your weapon! Jackson! Get rid of that gum! Now! Miller..."

Galina tuned out the sergeant's ranting. Lynn leaned back as the Marines around her started moving. Checking weapons, checking gear and basically getting ready as modern assault troops. Galina and Lynn were careful not to interfere. This was not their world. Then she stiffened as Smithers cursed softly.

"I just got word from the sergeant posted at the guard site." Smithers said quietly as he leaned close to the pair of women. "We have a complication."

"Do I want to know?" Lynn asked, her face worried.

"Somehow..." Smithers' face was angry now. "The press have found out that there is something going on and are nosing about." Galina cursed quietly in Russian and Smithers' nodded. "We are going to tell them it is an unscheduled exercise. Training. We do that."

"With two obvious civilians in tow?" Lynn asked, dubious. "Um... I don't think that is going to fly, Lieutenant."

"Me neither." Smithers said with a sigh. "I don't suppose you two can turn invisible?" He asked a bit facetiously, only to pause as Lynn and Galina looked at each other. "Ah..."

"I don't think we can." Lynn said slowly. "Hayden can sometimes, but it is limited." Smithers' gulped and Lynn nodded. "We have some...extra skills and abilities, but we do not know the extent of them, Lieutenant Smithers."

"You are like one of the X-men who is learning how to use their powers?" A young voice asked. A pimple face Marine was looking at them.

"Sort of." Lynn said with a shrug. "But this isn't a comic book or movie by Marvel. I can't fly or shoot laser bolts out of my eyes and neither can Galina here." The young Marine looked disappointed but Lynn just sighed. "Trust me, it isn't a lot of fun."

"I think I am glad." The Marine said as he checked his equipment by touch. "Reading about someone like Wolverine is okay. Actually sharing space with someone like him? Not so much."

"Agreed. I always assumed his body odor was less than pleasant but no one dared say anything. I mean... Wolverine and all." Galina said with a smile. "Now if only we had Professor X and Cerebro to scan for what we are looking for, this would be much easier." But the sergeant had seen the Marine talking.

"Carter!" The sergeant snapped. "Talk about comic books on your own time! You are on Marine Corps' time now! Check your gear. Now!" The Marine smiled at Galina and focused on his tasks.

"Leave the Marines to do what they need to do, Galina." Lynn said with a frown as she sat back on the hard metal seat. Military helicopters had few frills. "We can't talk to the press."

"Actually, we can." Galina said after a moment. Lynn stared at her and Galina smiled, a wolf's head. "We can't tell them the truth, but if we avoid them..." She smiled again, this time even more feral. "What do you think is the worst thing for a journalist?"

"I don't know." Lynn said softly. "I haven't dealt with many. The few I have...irritated me."

"I bet." Galina said with a thoughtful look. "Hmm... Lieutenant? Have you got a moment?" The LT turned to her and nodded. "Can I borrow your accent?"

"Huh?" Smithers asked with a confused look. Galina smiled and when she spoke next it was in a deep Southern drawl.

"Press act like any animal, or so my Uncle used to tell me." All of the Marines turned to stare at her as she continued, sounding like a Southern Belle. "I was always a good mimic and Yargo taught me a lot about languages."

"You are good. You sound just like my sister." Smithers said with a grin. "But what is the point?"

"Point is, press look for discrepancies. Two women not in uniform? One who speaks in a  Russian accent and one English? Oh yeah." Galina said, still talking in a drawl. "Press would react. Yargo weren't no spy, he was counter-intelligence."

"Looking for spies." Smithers said, thoughtful. "Go on."

"If a pair of civilians get out of a military helicopter surrounded by two squads of Marines, that be an immediate red flag to any press type. Story here. Right?" Galina asked and the Marine nodded. "So... If we don't go out the back... Say, you all tramp out the main hatch and Lynn and I go out the side."

"Could work." Smithers said a bit dubiously. Then he smiled. "Especially if I go with the Marines to set a perimeter, and refuse to talk to the press. They hate that."

"They will likely follow you." Galina agreed. "Pestering you to try and get a response, but you of course have orders not to talk to them."

"But I don't." Smithers said, his face working. He paused as Lynn chuckled. "Ma'am?"

"I wasn't paying much attention when the base commander ushered us aboard, Lieutenant Smithers, but didn't he say I was in charge?" She asked. Smithers stared at her and she smiled as Galina had. Feral. "I am not going to step on any toes and I don't have a clue about Marine work. I am not in your chain of command, but I can advise, right?"

"Yes." The LT said after a moment. Then he smiled. "Any advice, ma'am?"

"Is there a Standard Operating Procedure for recovery of potentially dangerous materials from an unstable location?" Lynn asked softly. The LT stared at her and then nodded slowly. "Now what we are after is not really dangerous. But they don't know that."

"There is. We have to set a perimeter, keep everyone but our specialists away and..." He grinned. "We cannot talk to the press unless it is cleared by higher authority." He shook his head. "Devious, but workable. How did you know about that?"

"I was with the World Health Organization." Lynn said with a sigh. "Almost every armed force I dealt with had something like that. Galina..." Lynn said with a shake of her head. "That leaves you and me as anomalies."

"Well..." Galina thought hard. "The Marines can't shoot the press." She ignored the mutters of 'Pity' and 'I wish' that went around the cabin. "We are not in uniform so..."

"No, you are not in uniform." Smithers agreed. "What other languages do you speak, Ma'am?"

"Russian, English, German, French and some Japanese." Galina said, then paused as Smithers stared at her. "What?"

"Nothing." Smithers looked like he had swallowed a bug. "You sound like my sister, but she only speak two languages. English and bad English." A laugh circled the cabin. "We are landing on the road. Where is this cave?"

"Uh... I was busy running..." Galina paused and looked at Lynn who nodded.

"It's about a hundred meters from the closest road which I assume will be our landing spot." Lynn said slowly. "Terrain is light forest. I can point the way once we are down."

"Okay..." Smithers said slowly. "They will likely see you if you try to exit by yourselves. So... This should work. We are going to borrow those flight helmets, keep the visors down to conceal your faces. My squads will form up and escort you to this cave. We will wait until you have gotten what you need, then we will escort you back. If the press block our way, we move them. Gently." He admonished as a murmur of approval went around the cabin. He nodded to Lynn. "If you could let Miss Galina here do the talking if it comes to it, that would probably be best."

"I understand." Lynn said with a smile. "No one else speaks proper English anymore, but I will make do." She said with a smirk. "What will she say?"

"I will say 'I am not allowed talk about it.'" Galina said with a smile and the LT nodded approvingly. "Which is the truth, but... Not quite the way they will presume."

"Who cares what they assume?" Lieutenant Smithers said sardonically. "And... now..." He said with a nod as the helicopter shuddered and then slid a bit, finally coming to a stop. "Gotta love the old Chinooks. Huge and heavy carrying, but handles like a truck. Go!" He commanded and the first Marines were in motion before the ramp had even touched the ground. He waited until both squads had moved and then nodded tot the women. "Ladies." He disconnected the wires attached to their helmets as the sound of the engines faded, but did not go away. They would be leaving again shortly if all went well.

We can talk this way, Lynn. Galina said as she followed the LT out of the helicopter. The road was...wider than she remembered. Flashing lights in the distance had her pausing, but the LT just smiled.

"We asked the local police to keep the road closed for a bit." Lieutenant Smithers said with a nod as they walked. "Which way?" Lynn pulled out a compass and a small map and he smiled a bit as she pretended to look at them. She nodded towards the woods. "Sergeant! Secure the perimeter!" He called and the sergeant started barking orders.

It took almost as little time to get back to the cave as it had taken Galina to flee it. The few questions that were called to them by the intent looking man and woman in rumpled clothes who stood nearby were dutifully ignored. The sergeant at the guard post saluted the LT.

"Sir. Nothing to report except a couple of braying fools." He looked curiously at the pair of women but did not ask questions. Smart man.

"Right." Smithers agreed. "Have you got enough people?" He asked the sergeant who nodded. "What about reliefs?" He nodded to Galina and Lynn and both entered the cave.

The door was right where Galina remembered it. But the room beyond was  a mess when they stepped through. Galina stared about, shocked, but Lynn just chuckled.

"This is how we left it." Lynn said, moving to the table and starting to sort through stuff. "We were in a hurry. Hayden wasn't fully healed, but he wasn't about to leave you to whoever had you." Galina shook her head silently.

The food and other things she had bought in Blacksburg lay in a pile next to a set of weapons that looked like they had been tossed onto the floor. Galina found her Tekna pistol and smiled as she pocketed it.

"Here" Lynn handed Galina something long and cylindrical and Galina stared as she realized it was a silencer!  "I hope we don't need these..." She said, pocketing a small pistol of her own, one Galina did not recognize.

She swallowed heavily and pocketed that as well. Then she pulled out a pair of backpacks from a pile of stuff and started loafing energy bars and water into them. The two women worked in silence, Lynn selecting things and Galina putting them into the backpacks. Very quickly, both were full. Galina shrugged into one and held out the other so Lynn could get into it.

"Will we come back?" Galina asked as she toed an empty wrapper into a pile of refuse.

"Yes." Lynn said with a smile. "Hayden seems to think we can expand this inter-dimensional pocket, make a huge facility that cannot be accessed except by us."

"A good hideaway." Galena said with a nod. "But let's worry about the future when we are sure there will be one. Let's go." She and Lynn left, not noticing a hazy form that appeared in one corner of the room. It wasn't human, but the posture was...wistful? Then it was gone.

Edited by Kalenath

((Sorry for being late, was sick all weekend. Catching up with my writing now))

To the Hunt

Galina followed the private who had been detailed to lead her along the streets of Marine Corps Base Quantico with Lynn at her side, still bemused by all this. The Marines were quick, efficient and all in all, fairly good people, for Marines. There had been course jokes of course, but she took those in stride. These were not students or legal professionals, or even intelligence officers. These were warriors. They had a hard job and they did it well. They had actually seemed fairly well adjusted for people whose job was to get shot at. They had been glad for a 'milk run' mission, whatever that meant. She had actually talked comic books with the Marine named Carter on the ride back and  few of the other Marines had flirted with her. With her! She wasn't human anymore and they had flirted with her! The ride back had gone quickly and then they had been given an escort and sent off, the squads who had escorted them returning to whatever it was Marines did when the base was on alert.

Problem, Galina? Lynn's mind voice was clear but very sad still.

I don't know. Galina replied slowly. I never... Lynn...? She said, hesitant. They were flirting, it's what young men do... But... She bit her lip as she trailed off. I didn't know how to respond.

Galina.  Lynn smiled at her but kept their conversation silent. You are not infectious now. If you want to, you can. Galina stumbled a bit, but when her guide looked at her, she shook her head and followed.

I... well... Galina felt her face heat and was glad the Marine guide wasn't looking at her now. I never...

I know. Lynn said gently. I checked while you slept the first time after I got the bullet out just after we met. Galina did not react externally, but internally, she was fuming. Galina, we didn't know you. Lynn said, sadness peeking out again. I apologize, but I had to be ready to put a catheter in if you didn't wake up. And we had to check for common diseases. Those are way too common. I am sorry. She said, her mental tone abject. I didn't even tell Hayden.

I... I guess that is okay. Galina said, forcing herself to relax. You are a doctor, but you and the Marine doctors here... You all have been kind.

The Marines were ordered to be gentle. Lynn said softly. Remember that. They don't have to be.

I will. Galina said with a fraction of a nod. Then she spoke aloud. "Where are we going?" She asked the Marine.

"Security HQ is where your friends are." The Marine whose name tag read 'Caruthers' said with a nod. "About two hundred more meters."

"Big base." Galina said with a nod in reply. The Marine grunted in reply and Galina desisted.

They walked in silence, but Galina's mind was whirling. She was still fairly young and was a healthy female. She had the same feelings and...other things that female humans did. But she felt her lack of experience keenly. Lynn smiled at her, but did not comment as they walked. Finally they reached a building marked 'Security' and their guide took them to an entrance with two armed Marines standing guard.

"These are the two who are expected, Corporal." The Marine who had been guiding them calmly. "Delivered as ordered."

"About time." One of the guard said, resuming his post. "Go on in." He said to Lynn and Galina. But be warned, the Colonel is...a bit upset." The other guard and their guide all winced.

"I bet." Lynn said with a wince. "With cause."

"Let's get this done." Galina said quietly, not wanting to stress obviously upset Marines any further than they had been.

"You have been vouched for." The Marine guard said with a shake of his head. "You will have to empty the bags and declare any weapons."

"Here or inside?" Lynn asked calmly. "We are both carrying pistols." Both guards stiffened and Galina nodded.

"Any explosives? Chemical agents?" The guard asked, his hand moving as if to unsling his rifle and then thinking better of it. Lynn shook her head. "Declare them at the scanners."

"Right." Lynn said quietly as she and Galina moved to step into the building. "Thank you for the guidance, private. We would have found our way...eventually. But we don't want the Colonel angrier than he already is, do we?"

"No, Ma'am." The Private agreed fervently. "For what it is worth, ladies... Good luck."

"Thanks." Lynn replied as she opened the door and Galina stepped in following her. Four Marines stood by a set of scanners, none with rifles, but all on alert. Lynn grimaced and then stepped closer to the scanners. "Is that a metal detector?" She asked cautiously.

"It is." One of the Marines said with a nod. "But we have been briefed. We will need to search the bags and you." He waved the pair of women to the side of the machines. "Any weapons?"

"Pistols." Lynn replied, drawing her small pistol out, clearing it and setting it on a table that he indicated. Galina followed suit carefully. She was aware of scrutiny from elsewhere, but did not look. Lynn paused. "We also have silencers."

"Good thing we are not civilian cops." The Marine said with a nod. "They would likely arrest you just for having those. We need to search the bags. Any explosives or chemicals?"

"No explosives." Lynn said calmly, setting her bag down and opening it. "Some chemicals, but its medical gear. Some odd things that Hayden asked me for, tracking and hunting gear mostly. Some computer records on flash drives." She paused. "Those are encrypted."

"I see." The Marine said slowly. "You have been vouched for, by the highest authority, but..." He shook his head.

"It's not paranoia if they are all out to get you." Lynn replied sadly. "But that information must not get out."

"Understood, Ma'am. It won't leave our sight." The Marine replied. "We will search the bags but leave the flash drives. We have a pair of female marines to check you." He waved to the side and a door opened.

Galina and Lynn nodded and stepped through. Inside, two female Marines stood ready. Galina did not move as one of the Marines did a quick professional pat down search of her. The search found the silencer, but nothing else except a pair of energy bars since Galina really didn't have much. The Marine raised an eyebrow as she examined at the silencer, but did not comment. The Marine searching Lynn found as little.

"You are the most un-female civilian females I have ever seen." One of the Marines complained whimsically as they both stepped back. "No keys, no cell phones, no clutter, no nothing."

"There was a time I wouldn't go anywhere without my purse and all the stuff I couldn't live without." Lynn said with a conspiratorial smile. But then it faded. "But then I spent time in a cage. It convinced me to...lighten my loads."

"I don't know what is going on, Ma'am." The Female Marine said softly. "But whatever it is, good luck."

Lynn smiled and she and Galina stepped out of the room to find the four Marines staring at something from Lynn's backpack. They waved the pair of Tenno over. Lynn and Galina complied. The contents of the bags had been laid out professionally. Medical gear in one tidy pile, computer records in another. Odd looking devices in another. The Marines were examining one of the odd looking things.

"We are not sure what this is." The Marine who looked to be in charge said dubiously, poking it with a finger. "No chemicals or explosives like you said..."

"That is Hayden's." Lynn said, a expression of distaste crossing her face. The Marine froze, his finger still outstretched. "You know what he did." Hayden had been an assassin.

"Yes, but still..." The Marine shook his head. "Do I want to know?" He asked carefully.

Lynn walked to the table, slowly picked up the device and set it on her arm, tightening a strap. Galina's eyes went wide and so did the Marines' as a pair of armatures snapped out to either side of the...miniature crossbow. Lynn held it up for the Marine's examination. He whistled in awe.

"I don't want to know." The Marine said after a moment. "That is cool, but... I really don't want to know." He stepped away from the table and shook his head. "All cleared. We are ordered to pass you, but..." He shook his head again.

"We like this about as much as you do, Marine. Hayden doesn't like what he does, what he did." Lynn said with a sigh as she folded the crossbow and unstrapped it from her arm. She started packing the bag again. "For what it is worth, I  much prefer to talk than to fight."

"Good." The Marine swallowed heavily and stepped away, letting Galina come close to the table to pack her own bag. He shook himself and then focused. "An escort will be here momentarily. Please stay with your escort at all times. This is a high security facility and we are on alert."

"Understood." Lynn said, finishing up as Galina did. Both women slung their packs.

A Marine in full battle dress with rifle at the ready stepped up and nodded to them. Lynn returned the nod, nodded to the guards and started off when the armored Marine did. Galina stepped closer to Lynn as they passed other Marines who also were armed for war.

"I would say this is extreme." Galina said softly as they walked. "But I know better."

"Yeah." Lynn agreed. "Galina... This is going to get messy. Are you sure you don't want to stay out of it?"

"I am sure." Galina replied. "I never hunted, but I was studying Criminal Investigation and Yargo..." She swallowed heavily. "He... He encouraged me to think like a policewoman."

"He was a good man." Lynn said sadly. "If we ever find out what happened to him, we will do something about it." She chuckled a bit, an edge to it. "Actually Hayden likely will. He and Yargo were...good friends."

"Yargo always said good things about Hayden." Galina replied with a heavy heart. She missed Yargo. "But he also said we had to focus on the 'now'."

"Don't ignore your grief, Galina." Lynn warned. "You have a right to it and it is natural. Don't fixate on it, but don't ignore it either." The Marine leading them ignored them as they walked. "If you ever need to talk, Galina. I am here." She said kindly.

"Thank you." Galina said gratefully. "But for now, let's do what has to be done." The Marine led them into another room where Hayden was bent over a map. Elizabeth -in full Marine battledress- was checking a rifle that she held carefully. "Hayden?"

"Galina, Lynn." Hayden said with a faint smile as he looked up. "We have the preliminary work done. Thank you." He said to the Marine now nodded to him and left in silence. Hayden waited until the door shut behind the Marine before speaking again. "We are going over the few records of what happened in the brig." The former assassin said with a sigh. His eyes narrowed and the next bit of speak was silent, We are under observation.

"How did the doctor get out?" Galina asked aloud and then spoke mentally as well. Of course we are. Hayden... She warned. This type of communication apparently uses EM bands. It is detectable.

So Elizabeth said. Hayden replied. But detecting it is one thing. Deciphering it? That is another.

I don't think we have much to fear. We didn't know what we were seeing when you talked to Galina and I don't think anyone will figure it out soon. Elizabeth switched to verbal speech, her tone clinical. "Two men in suits presented IDs and official orders to the guards at the brig."

"The security cameras?" Lynn asked aloud. Better safe than sorry. She added silently.

"Whoever they were had state of the art jamming technology." Hayden replied with a grimace. He brought up an image on a monitor nearby and it showed a pair of blurs in a corridor walking beside the doctor who... Galina tensed and Hayden looked at her. "What?"

"He was afraid." Galina said after a moment. "Why would he be afraid if his bosses sent people to get him?" They all looked at the image and indeed, the doctor's face was pale with terror.

"He didn't say anything to the MPs at the brig." Elizabeth said slowly. "But yeah, he was in that shot." She agreed. "Lets see..." She mused as she hit a series of keys on a nearby keyboard and other shots appeared. She flipped through them quickly and then sighed. "No other shots of his face. All blurred around whoever held him."

"This stinks to high heaven of the Agency." Hayden said with a grunt. "The base commander has demanded answers from Langley and the President has backed him up, so we should hear something sometime. But getting concise and truthful answers out of that place is...hard at the best of times. Now? With them on alert?" He shrugged. "We did get a line of sight on their car's license plates, but it was rented." Another screen lit up with a car showing a magnified view of the plates.

"They will change cars as quickly as possible." Galina said, her memories of talking to Yargo about intelligence and counter intelligence coming to the fore. "We do not have the manpower to track that."

"No, we don't." Hayden agreed. "The FBI has been called in to investigate." Galina and Lynn both raised eyebrows and Hayden nodded. "A witness and a sample of a biohazard have both vanished off Federal property. The Marines are good, but this is the FBI's kind of thing."

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, yes?" Galina said quietly. "Who do they report to? We will need to know who to bribe." Elizabeth, Hayden and Lynn all looked at her and she blushed hotly. "Oh, this is America, not Russia. I keep forgetting. And the bullet?"

"That is a mystery." Hayden said with a sigh. "Elizabeth and I examined the vault it was in. A highly secure vault with mechanical security and Marine sentries. Secured, locked and monitored at all times. Between 1123 and 1130 hours, the sample vanished from its location. The doors were not opened, the security systems were all in place. But when the base commander ordered it brought out for the President, it was gone."

"That is not possible." Lynn protested.

"It shouldn't be." Hayden agreed. "Elizabeth and I have been going over other possibilities, all way out there. But the fact of the matter is, it was there and now it is not."

"Visually verified?" Galina asked, her tone thoughtful. Hayden looked at her and she shrugged. "Wouldn't be the first time some clerk put the wrong tag on something."

"It's verified." Hayden said with a nod. "Elizabeth and I went and looked. Getting in was a pain, but Presidential authority and a possible escaped biohazard agent were good persuaders. But..." He shook his head. "There were traces, traces that only Elizabeth could see." Galina looked at Elizabeth who nodded.

"Apparently, these eyes came with upgrades." The African America woman said with a grin. "I could tell immediately that there had been something there. It was removed, case and all."

"Then that is good, right?" Lynn asked slowly. "I mean, all the biohazard cases like that that I ever dealt with had trackers."

"Yes." Elizabeth looked sheepish now. "It was deactivated when it was put into the vault." Galina cursed in Russian and Lynn snarled.

"You have got to be kidding!" Lynn went pale. "The single most infectious and dangerous bioagent we know of and they didn't keep the tracker online?" She demanded. "Idiots!"

"They were following procedure." Elizabeth said with a sigh. "It's not the Marine's fault although the base commander was talking about having someone flayed. I think he was joking. I hope he was joking." She said in an undertone.

"What kind of traces?" Galina asked after a moment. Can you say aloud?

"Hard to say." Elizabeth grimaced. A pair of shoe prints. Small ones. Whoever it was, was tiny or a child.

A child? Lynn and Galina both exclaimed mentally.

We don't know that. A person who was childlike in size does not necessarily mean a child. Hayden cautioned them then spoke aloud. "We took pictures and left the scene to the Criminal Investigation people after pointing out the prints." Hayden said with a nod. "We think we can track the bullet. Or more accurately, you can, Galina."

"Me?" Galina asked, confused.

"The virus that entered you acclimatized to you." Hayden said with a nod. "You can probably sense it if you get close enough."

"How do I get close enough?" Galina asked, dreading the answer.

"We set a trap." Hayden clarified. "With you as the bait, Galina." Galina stared at him and then started thinking hard.

"Hayden..." Lynn growled.

"Lynn, think..." Elizabeth said calmly. "Whoever it was, went to a great deal of trouble to get that bullet. They had to know how the Marines would respond. But if they had gone far, they would have been detected. And all vehicles entering are searched as matter of course. All exiting vehicles are examined and logged. No children or people the size of children have entered or left the base. We think that is intentional, to let the hubbub die down and the alert fade."

"You think the sample and thief are still on the base?" Galina asked softly. "What do I do?"

"You and Lynn up for a walk?"

Edited by Kalenath