Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Let Me Get This Straight (On Lvling Weapons)

Lunarblaze

You only get xp for a weapon if you kill with that weapon...so say you run through a map using your rifle exclusively, your melee and secondary won't get any xp.

BUT....if you are in a team, stuff you teammates kill will award you shared xp, which will be divided equally among your weapons + warframe. So say I make this new weapon, rank 0, and I wanna level it efficiently. I should go into a high level defense mission and sit there and do nothing so my weapon can level off the shared xp, since if I kill stuff, I will actually get LESS xp on the weapon I want to level.

Am I missing something here?????

Yeah well its kinda hard to kill anything when its like rank zero, and also if you got uber warframe abilities you can spam

When a weapons is rank 0, you really should not take it out anywhere other than less than level 5 areas. 

Warframe abilities are only so good. Attack based abilities stop being useful while defense based abilities become more useful. 

Well M Prime on Nova is good enough to basically clear a room full of level 60's so go figure. And I just find it strange that they would have it set up this way as if to promote leeching and reward those who do the least damage. I mean, its not like I'm leveling weapons cause its fun and I wanna do it...I'm doing it so I can rank up and unlock better weapons, like everyone else. The logical conclusion, then, is to find the most efficient way of ranking up multiple weapons from level zero to 30.

That happens to be equip 3 useless low rank weapons, queue up for Xini, not use any warframe abilities, and just leech. That's not the way I want to play and its certainly not the way I want others to play with me.

You're not getting more xp. This is how it REALLY works.

When you kill an enemy with a weapon you get x amount of xp for that weapon and for your frame.

When you kill an enemy with a skill you only get xp for your frame.

Now for teammates.

A teammate weapon or skill kill will award you x/4 xp to your frame and each weapon.

By letting your teammates kill everything you will only be ranking a specific gun 1/4 as quickly as if you were doing the killings yourself with the weapon in question. You also miss out on the mirrored xp to frame that you get on personal kills.

A teammate weapon or skill kill will award you x/4 xp to your frame and each weapon.

The way weapons gain Affinity differs depending on who got the kill. If Player 1 scores the kill, he only receives Affinity for his Warframe and the weapon that specifically got the kill (if he used a weapon to get the kill). However, Players 2-4 will receive Affinity for the Warframe and Affinity for ALL their weapons, split evenly among them (even if the enemy was killed with a Warframe-power from Player 1).

Warframe wiki

It says you get 100% exp to warframe and 33% exp to every weapon when a teammate kills an enemy. You say you get 1/4 to everything. So are you wrong or wiki is wrong?

Edited by Enguzrad

*Uses rank 8 ogris to one shot level 30 heavy gunners getting over 700 exp per shot* "I'm sorry, what was the problem?"

The reality is, if you're half decent you can take an unranked weapon to decent level areas(20-25) and if your accuracy is good, and the weapon isn't an ammo drain, you can level it without a problem, otherwise you might want to step it back down a couple(15-20). Also grineer all day unless it's a melee, then infested baby.

The system isn't all that bad. You can typically walk away with 4 levels a run, and by level 8 a potato'd weapon can easily handle all content in the game, the rest will be destructive around level 15. Though if you focus on your targets, picking the right mods, you can make it possible to do level 30-50 with only 10 capacity.

EDIT: So says the solo-ist that only plays Mag and Volt.

Edited by Ghobe

Psh I just go into Xini with naught but an Orthos and carry the party through wave 30 with only melee. You know, like a real man. Damn casuals >=@

Anyways, it's faster if you use the weapon you're trying to level yourself, and it's also less likely to cause missions to fail if you participate. And you get a lot more exp if the mission succeeds.

This honestly is part of why a lot of us old people really really REALLY LOVE Nova's Molec Primer. It's downright AMAZING for powerleveling random junk weapons we don't want to use.

It says you get 100% exp to warframe and 33% exp to every weapon when a teammate kills an enemy. You say you get 1/4 to everything. So are you wrong or wiki is wrong?

The wiki, most likely. Unless it can stamp "From Pwnatron" on it like it can the weapon and enemy statistics now, it's wild guesses.

And the wiki has been known to have many, many horribly inaccurate wild guesses in the past.

My warframe exp always seemed higher when I was getting kills than when I wasn't. I'd have to actually do some more scientific tests to tell you for sure, but my gut tells me to go with "the wiki is wrong" more than it tells me to go with "the wiki is right".

-snip-

Hm, easy way how to test it would be do a mission with friends and do nothing. Then at the end of the mission if you are right, you will have the same exp for weapons and warframe.

Edited by Enguzrad

The way weapons gain Affinity differs depending on who got the kill. If Player 1 scores the kill, he only receives Affinity for his Warframe and the weapon that specifically got the kill (if he used a weapon to get the kill). However, Players 2-4 will receive Affinity for the Warframe and Affinity for ALL their weapons, split evenly among them (even if the enemy was killed with a Warframe-power from Player 1).

Warframe wiki

You're misinterpreting what it's saying. So the answer to your question is "neither."

"Whenever any member of the team kills an enemy, that member's teammates will still gain experience from that kill. This experience is divided equally among their Warframe and weapons. For example, if your teammate kills an enemy that gives 1000 experience, you (and their other teammates) would receive 250 experience for their warframe, rifle, pistol and melee weapon."

Ripped directly from http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Mechanics . Hope that helps.

Edited by MeteorKing

@MeteorKing

There are two pages for the xp/affinity mechanics:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Mechanics

And they say different things.

I have gone through maps through without killing a thing and relying on purely leached XP in a test on Mecury - Terminus. I got more experience for my frame than I did for any of my weapons meaning that the affinity page is closer to the truth, at least in the 5 runs that I tested it out on recently.

Yeah, I realized what I said was unwarranted, I have since reworded my statement. I apologize for sounding like a jerk beforehand.

I would be interested in testing this for myself in order to set it straight once and for all. I believe the explanation I have given is correct, but you hada different experience. The only explanation I could give is perhaps affinity orbs.

Edited by MeteorKing

I'll be doing some testing when i get home today to double check my findings on terminus. Its a simple test: have a friend run you through terminus and kill things along the way (try to not pick up affinity orbs or anything), while you do absolutely nothing until the mission ends. At that point check the affinity/xp you had gained and see which page in the wiki is correct.

It's not a terrible mechanic actually.

Think about being endgame leveled with everything and wanting to level a new weapon.

You either have to revert back to Mercury which is ridiculous.

Or just jump in a party, use your other two leveled slots to kill, and slowly creep some mods onto your new weapon.

Not bad at all.  Trying to level a fresh weapon in endgame content would just make you a useless team member as you'd end up doing zero damage.

Yeah wiki says many strange things. So I did an exterminate run with my friend. He killed everything and I did nothing. I just accidentaly collected one affinity orb and maybe my dumb sentinel killed one or two enemies.
here is screenshot:

FaPvPac.png?1

So you were right. Affinity is split equally to weapons and warframe. Someone should contact guys on wiki to fix that one page which is wrong.

You're not getting more xp. This is how it REALLY works.

When you kill an enemy with a weapon you get x amount of xp for that weapon and for your frame.

When you kill an enemy with a skill you only get xp for your frame.

Now for teammates.

By letting your teammates kill everything you will only be ranking a specific gun 1/4 as quickly as if you were doing the killings yourself with the weapon in question. You also miss out on the mirrored xp to frame that you get on personal kills.

HOWEVER, you rank all four weapons up at once so it balances out.

Some weapons are an absolute pain to level.

For example, Afuris.

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

Even on Mercury... 2 rooms and it is out of ammo.

Finish mission... WOOOO 500 XP wow.

It is like Lv23 and I just don't feel like doing 500 Mercury Missions (WITH Mutator) to level it.

Also, Scindo. With Fury, the thing swings slow as freaking hell.

@Xylia

I personally find leveling melee weapons is a lot faster (and a lot more fun) when Im in a group. The reason? Im not stuck running an endless amount of infested missions to level up my melee weapon. Also in missions like mobile defense, the more enemies that your allies kill and the faster they do it the more xp you get overall. And with a group of nukers you can get a ton of XP from a mobile defense mission quite easily.

@Xylia

I personally find leveling melee weapons is a lot faster (and a lot more fun) when Im in a group. The reason? Im not stuck running an endless amount of infested missions to level up my melee weapon. Also in missions like mobile defense, the more enemies that your allies kill and the faster they do it the more xp you get overall. And with a group of nukers you can get a ton of XP from a mobile defense mission quite easily.

That is pretty much my point.

Someone said above "you get less XP in groups", but yet they are missing the fact that if you group up and do Defense/Mobile Defense, you get a lot more XP because you get 10x as many kills in that same time period AND you get kills on hard-to-level weapons without even using them.

During Double Affinity Weekend, I leveled my Vasto to like 20something without firing a single shot.

My Seer is like 18, killed maybe 5 guys with it.

But yet if I were to take, say, Seer out into missions.... God that would take Forever.

Pretty sad when standing around watching people kill junk is faster than killing stuff yourself.

Psh I just go into Xini with naught but an Orthos and carry the party through wave 30 with only melee. You know, like a real man. Damn casuals >=@

Anyways, it's faster if you use the weapon you're trying to level yourself, and it's also less likely to cause missions to fail if you participate. And you get a lot more exp if the mission succeeds.

This honestly is part of why a lot of us old people really really REALLY LOVE Nova's Molec Primer. It's downright AMAZING for powerleveling random junk weapons we don't want to use.

The wiki, most likely. Unless it can stamp "From Pwnatron" on it like it can the weapon and enemy statistics now, it's wild guesses.

And the wiki has been known to have many, many horribly inaccurate wild guesses in the past.

My warframe exp always seemed higher when I was getting kills than when I wasn't. I'd have to actually do some more scientific tests to tell you for sure, but my gut tells me to go with "the wiki is wrong" more than it tells me to go with "the wiki is right".

It's because affinity sharing now has a max distanse. It's counted as distance between killer (seed) and recipient (leecher).

For example, if someone on xini stays on the bulb and the second squadmate killing somebody with orthos near the 11 o'clock gate, bulb vanguard won't get any affinity.

Edited by Icouldjustkissyou

Hm, easy way how to test it would be do a mission with friends and do nothing. Then at the end of the mission if you are right, you will have the same exp for weapons and warframe.

Is it hard to test? No.

Is it hard to test with pugs? Yes :/

Guess I can attempt to do this on the next low level alert I end up doing.

It's because affinity sharing now has a max distanse. It's counted as distance between killer (seed) and recipient (leecher).

For example, if someone on xini stays on the bulb and the second squadmate killing somebody with orthos near the 11 o'clock gate, bulb vanguard won't get any affinity.

Not sure what the hell this is actually replying to in relation to what I said. EXP Range isn't a problem if you have a good party, and the few times it is, people usually stop spawn camping after I request it. Usually. I'll normally leave the group after that run if they don't.