Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2nd-person camera feels extremely cramped

Treadlight

Warframe's gameplay has been changing significantly enough that the camera should be addressed in relation to such.  I started playing after Banshee Prime Access started, so I wasn't around for the old movement system with stamina bars and weapon-slinging.  It's becoming increasingly apparent—especially when comparing newer tilesets to old ones—that the game used to be suited to more confined small spaces.  Many newer warframes (and reworks) have abilities much more suited big open areas as well.  I can barely see anything other than my warframe & sentinel blocking more than half of the screen with this extremely close-up 2nd-person camera.  A true 3rd-person camera does exist already in the game, though it's only used when spectating other players after dying.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/229386295573610496/437903413980954624/warframe_Camera.png
This is nearly perfect.  The player-character is a too high on the screen, and it's still zoomed in too far.  Here's a weapon demonstration from the Splatoon wiki so you can see for yourself what this would be like.  You don't have to watch the whole thing, but I do recommend at least watching the sub and special weapons used towards the end of the video.

Look at that visibility!  The player-character takes up a relatively small portion of the screen, leaving plenty of room to see everything around you.  Obviously the proportions of the player-character are quite different, so Warframe would need a different amount of zoom.  Warframe also has a lot more vertical movement, which should be considered.  (While not the main point of this thread, do note how the crosshair behaves in that video as well.)  Warframe's camera certainly seems to already try to zoom out a tiny bit farther if there's open space, but it gets really close up when backed against a wall or floor.  I'd rather it not be capable of collisions, and just draw a window through walls if it's behind one that's actually textured on that side.

Edited by Treadlight

Let me explain you one thing: 3rd person camera can either be in the style you mentioned when a player is spectating another or in the way warframe works, with the camera a little closer to the character and off to the side (which is not 2nd person, but 3rd).

Also you have to remember that this is a shooter game, you need to have the camera ina position that allows you to see what's in front of you to shoot. Even then you also have an option in the options menu called FoV (field of view) where you can choose how far you want the camera to be from the character. But still, remember this is not splatoon, this is warframe and typically 3rd person shooter games always work like that. Plus, if warframe worked in a similar fashion as splatoon in terms of camera positioning it wouldn't be practicle due to the whole aiming system that the game has. To me, that kind of 3rd person perspective you showed in that video looks more fitting for a none shooter game.

Then again, you can ajust your FoV in warframe like I mentioned if you want more visibility, but regardless you'll end up getting used to it. Trust me. :smile:

1 minute ago, JackMcRain said:

Let me explain you one thing: 3rd person camera can either be in the style you mentioned when a player is spectating another or in the way warframe works, with the camera a little closer to the character and off to the side (which is not 2nd person, but 3rd).

Also you have to remember that this is a shooter game, you need to have the camera ina position that allows you to see what's in front of you to shoot. Even then you also have an option in the options menu called FoV (field of view) where you can choose how far you want the camera to be from the character. But still, remember this is not splatoon, this is warframe and typically 3rd person shooter games always work like that. Plus, if warframe worked in a similar fashion as splatoon in terms of camera positioning it wouldn't be practicle due to the whole aiming system that the game has. To me, that kind of 3rd person perspective you showed in that video looks more fitting for a none shooter game.

Then again, you can ajust your FoV in warframe like I mentioned if you want more visibility, but regardless you'll end up getting used to it. Trust me. :smile:

I already have my FoV maxed.  While the video is not mine, the screenshot is.  That is what the game looks like when you spectate at max FoV.
2nd-person camera is over the shoulder, but often referred to as 3rd-person due to the similarities.  Technically, it is 2nd-person, but 3rd-person is still a valid description most of the time due to how incredibly often the term '2nd-person' is eaten up by '3rd-person' in all contexts.  Even 2nd-person perspective in language is referred to as 3rd-person sometimes.  I did imply this by calling it a "true" 3rd-person camera.  The terms are rather literal.
Splatoon is very fast-paced and has lots of stuff happening everywhere on the map, and actually needs even more environmental awareness than just this camera can give.  It sounds to me like you've never played Splatoon, or any 3rd-person shooter that wasn't over-the-shoulder for that matter.  Do let me know if you have.  Splatoon's camera is also zoomed in way too far to be suitable for something like a 3D platformer, which can easily overlap with 3rd-person shooters if it wants to.
I'm not aware of any "aiming system" that would be broken by this, Splatoon even has almost exactly the same animation for scopes.  There's nothing wrong with non-scope weapon aiming still using over-the-shoulder.
I never said that this was something to copy, I provided examples of the sort of thing I'm trying to describe.  I also said that it was a comparison. 

16 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Have you maxed your FoV?

I have, it's the only game I have done this in.  I generally prefer low FoV due to how the distortion works, but this is the only game I've ever been able to say it's actually too low.  I don't think this game calculates or renders FoV in the traditional way.

2 hours ago, Treadlight said:

I already have my FoV maxed.  While the video is not mine, the screenshot is.  That is what the game looks like when you spectate at max FoV.
2nd-person camera is over the shoulder, but often referred to as 3rd-person due to the similarities.  Technically, it is 2nd-person, but 3rd-person is still a valid description most of the time due to how incredibly often the term '2nd-person' is eaten up by '3rd-person' in all contexts.  Even 2nd-person perspective in language is referred to as 3rd-person sometimes.  I did imply this by calling it a "true" 3rd-person camera.  The terms are rather literal.
Splatoon is very fast-paced and has lots of stuff happening everywhere on the map, and actually needs even more environmental awareness than just this camera can give.  It sounds to me like you've never played Splatoon, or any 3rd-person shooter that wasn't over-the-shoulder for that matter.  Do let me know if you have.  Splatoon's camera is also zoomed in way too far to be suitable for something like a 3D platformer, which can easily overlap with 3rd-person shooters if it wants to.
I'm not aware of any "aiming system" that would be broken by this, Splatoon even has almost exactly the same animation for scopes.  There's nothing wrong with non-scope weapon aiming still using over-the-shoulder.
I never said that this was something to copy, I provided examples of the sort of thing I'm trying to describe.  I also said that it was a comparison.

I understand all of that, I was just saying because I used to play games like Prince of Persia and those have the type of 3rd person camera you're refering, mainly since that those kinds of games aren't shooters. For shooters the camera has to be in a fine position to allow people to aim, wether being over the shoulder or over the head or a little farther or something along those lines. I also never played Splatoon since that I don't have any console in my house but I've seen how it plays in videos like Gamexplain and yes, it looks fun.