Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

General Ideas for Onslaught - adding variety

DreisterDino

Hello Guys,

after the recent Hotfix i really feel like posting my ideas on this gamemode and a little on Warframe in General.

First off, when the Onslaught-Mode launched, i was really happy with the result (despite the bugs) and thought that this gamemode can finally be the challenge that me and so many others were desperatly looking for in Warframe. Something where you could really test your skills to come as far as you can in the Gamemode.

But with the recent changes, it has just become another cheesy grind-mode that you probably run again and again for ridiculous low %-values on some items you want to have.

No real challenge anymore, no incentive to go far, as long as you are playing it it is easy like the whole rest of the game and then like so many here pointed out already the game forces you to fail because there is no way you can make up for that efficiency drain (and the problem with not enough enemies spawning and you loosing between 10% and 30% (!!!) while waiting for a portal).

Let me know if i am wrong, but Warframe really needs a hard gamemode that people can play when they have done everything else. Many people that play Warframe for some time are bored by the game (if they admit it or not, but the mentality is in general, "lets farm this passively" - "i HAVE TO grind this or that although i DONT like it" - "i dont know what to do".

Everything is about farming stuff that you technically dont even need because there is no content that requires you to have it. The only reason you would want to have it that you can gather the stuff you dont need at all faster and with less effort. And Onslaught with the recent changes has become just this now aswell.

1. General

- the concept of the gamemode should stay the same, because while it has flaws right now, it can be great

- killing enemies quick to keep up efficiency remains

- timelimit per zone remains

- if you dont want it to be an endless game mode, thats ok, but please dont make it just another grind-mode with no challenge, we got enough of that

- make the limit to where you can get something like zone 30, then it is over, but it is really hard to get there

- on Zone 1-8 it could be as it was on release, so that you can use warframes like equinox or saryn to make it kinda easy to get through

- from Zone 9 upwards, the difficulty should get harder, and it should get harder due to enemies that get stonger until zone 30 (maybe lvl 300),

and the drain also can get harder like in the last hotfix. But here comes the important part, give us a way counter that harder drain with different playstyles.

2. Getting more efficiency

- a problem right now is that only meta-(cheese)-tactics can help you get the needed efficiency

- You as a Developer and many players stated that they dont like these mechanics

- so, in the first 8 zones it can be possible to get through it with these "tactics", but after that we should change the playstyle to get to the final zone 30

- the meta tactics could still be helpful to keep the efficiency, but they alone wont get you to the final stage, it should be a mix of different things

- there a several ways to achieve that, mainly through bonus efficiency you can gain by killing the mobs in different ways:, here some ideas which give you bonus efficiency:

--- headshots

--- 10 headshots in a row

--- switching between your weapons you kill with, so make 1 kill with primary, 1 with secondary, 1 with melee

--- kills while aimgliding / walllatching (again like 10 in a row or so)

--- finishers (although there should be something like a limit so it doesnt become Adaro 2.0^^)

- these are just 5 examples, but simply put, just give bonus efficiency for all the different ways possible to kill an enemy

- that way, you might still kill enemies with a spore saryn, but especially in the later zones you should be able to switch between different playstyles to get further

- a side effect is that different frames can become useful if you are encouraged to kill in different ways

- these bonus-efficiency-tasks could be implemented in a way that they change per zone, are active in all zones at the same time, or that they are weekly bonus tasks

- the player would have to show that he is a master in all categories and that he doesnt just have the best mods to press 4 or slideattack in the most efficient way

- there could be even other tasks not related to killing to get you some bonus efficiency at the end of a zone, like 10% extra if not one player got downed in the zone for example

3. Bonus thoughts

- i know there is a lot that needs to be thought out and tested to make this work as intended, but i think it would make for a great gamemode that people would play over and over again to test themselves while having fun, and this is something that got lost for many warframe players. Ofc all this should only apply in Elite-Onsluaght.

- many different weapons, different mods, different warframes would suddenly become useful because they might fit a certain task. It would encourage people to really think about which frames to pick and every frame might become useful if a certain bonus task is active.

- it should be really, and i mean really hard to get to zone 30, but the players should have a fair chance to get their if they really do their best, because like it is now its not up to skill if you make it far but up to the meta-gear and a lot of luck (enemyspawns, portals opening quick enough)

- if you make it to zone 30 a special reward could be something like this:

--- a sykara (think i spelled it wrong) for your shoulder to show you have mastered it (because i know Players like to show it :P )

--- the option to chose one of all the rewards that are in all 3 rotaions, so if you need a certain lato part you can simply pick that one from the list (maybe if this is simply too much to ask for, each weak there could be like 4 set items to chose from)

--- before recieving this, you get throgh a portal back to simaris where he offers the reward to the player

--- this way, i dont even care for the 2% dropchances the good parts have, because 1. i would love to play this gamemode over and over again just for the fun and eventually get the parts someday, or 2. i might be able to get to zone 30 to pick the desired items as a reward

- there could be a final boss or task at the end aswell to spice it up, a parcour-escape run or whatever suits as a grand final

4. Conclusion

I know this was a long text, but if you look at the forums right now, something needs to be done.

I think the great amount of anger doesnt comes up only because this gamemode isnt what many players expected it to be but also because so many players are burned out and bored of warframe. I can just talk for myself, but after the recent change, i couldnt care less about the gamemode, i think its boring right now and forces me to just grind some things there in a cheesy way. This is why i dont even bother to get the final khora-bp (built all the other parts) anymore, because i am not willing to stay for 20 minutes in a boring game mode just for a 7% chance on the part i need over and over again without any real challenge.

I really want a challenge in this game, and i dont want to stay in a survival for 2 hours to get to this challenge. And this game mode seemed to provide this challenge from more or less the first minute on when it was released, but this has changed now. I dont wanna play this like it is now.

Please let me know what you think of this idea and add some ideas if you think this is an approach that might be worth talking about :)

Edited by DreisterDino

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Am 13.5.2018 um 04:24 schrieb (XB1)MintyFreshMike:

I like the ideas. The getting to zone 30 to choose a reward is a little risky. You may have mr 20+ players hitting it every time and selling lato parts to lower mr players

Although i dont really think that is a problem if the parts would get a little cheaper, i agree that it is not good if players are able to get there every time.

Thats why i ment it to be really hard (but not luck based or crazy effiecency drain based) to get there. Or if people get there frequently, just select a few items you can choose from.

I think it would already be nice if you could choose between all the relics availabe for example, excluding the weapon parts from it.