The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Random lag spikes

Sometimes, the game would completely lag out for around 15-20 seconds, but after that period of time it goes back to normal. During the lag spike, I discovered that the game would max out the entire hard drive in the task manager and stop responding. In my case I have an SSD system drive and an HDD drive where i store all my games, including warframe. Is there anything i should do?

8 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

Is there anything i should do?

Does this happen to be accompanied by an odd noise?

You could try Verifying the download cache, and/or making sure all your hardware is updated.

2 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Does this happen to be accompanied by an odd noise?

You could try Verifying the download cache, and/or making sure all your hardware is updated.

No, there were no odd sounds. When the game freezes, it goes mute and the computer itself does not lag at all since i was able to switch between tasks freely. 

2 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

No, there were no odd sounds.

Ah, that is good. I had a laptop that would do a similar thing to what you are describing. But it was accompanied by a strange noise. It would downclock when it got too hot, freezing everything.

Does your computer have reasonable specs?

Have you verified the cache?

v5aovZ9.png

Ah, that is good. I had a laptop that would do a similar thing to what you are describing. But it was accompanied by a strange noise. It would downclock when it got too hot, freezing everything.

Does your computer have reasonable specs?

Have you verified the cache?

Reveal hidden contents

v5aovZ9.png

my computer has

Intel core i7 2600K processor

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti GPU

16GB RAM (1.4 ghz)

Supernova G2 750 watt PSU 

HDD: Samsung HD103SJ (it's where warframe is stored)

SSD: SK Hynix SH920 2.5 7mm (system drive)

With this system i run pretty much anything without lag. And to be honest, the only irritating thing about the lag spike is that it disconnects me from other players if i encounter it during the gameplay

10 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

With this system i run pretty much anything without lag. And to be honest, the only irritating thing about the lag spike is that it disconnects me from other players if i encounter it during the gameplay

You still have not answered my question: Have you verified the download cache?

• Have you got any software to monitor the CPU/GPU temperature?
  • What architecture OS are you running (32 or 64 bit)?
  • Your CPU is fairly old (seven years). It may not handle WF as well as a newer one would. If it works fine on other things, it should be okay.
  • Can you monitor your internet connection? Does it maintain a stable connection? If it is not stable, you may disconnect from the match.
Edited by krc473

You still have not answered my question: Have you verified the download cache?

• Have you got any software to monitor the CPU/GPU temperature?
  • Your CPU is fairly old (seven years). It may not handle WF as well as a newer one would.
  • Can you monitor your internet connection? Does it maintain a stable connection? If it is not stable, you may disconnect from the match.

i just finished verifying the cache and there are still lag spikes. Despite the CPU being old, there were absolutely no issues when running games (the task manager also was showing that the cpu wasn't even loaded to 50%, which is good). And about the internet connection, it is always stable when i'm playing games. The reason i was disconnecting was seemingly due to the lag spike. The temperatures on both GPU and CPU get as hot as 55 degrees so i think the temperatures are fine (disks are 33 degrees max)

6 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

The temperatures on both GPU and CPU get as hot as 55 degrees so i think the temperatures are fine

Provided it is under around 90°C, you are fine. Generally, less than that is ideal. But there really is no issue with 90°C.

Again: Do you have a 32 or 64 bit OS? Yes, it matters.

10 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

And about the internet connection, it is always stable when i'm playing games.

Are you using Wireless or Ethernet

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

Provided it is under around 90°C, you are fine. Generally, less than that is ideal. But there really is no issue with 90°C.

Again: Do you have a 32 or 64 bit OS? Yes, it matters.

Are you using Wireless or Ethernet

I'm using wireless internet and a 64bit system 

5 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

I'm using wireless internet

Any chance of trying it with an Ethernet connection? If you could, it would at least rule out issues with Wireless connectivity. I have had PC's before that just decide to reconnect to the internet, causing lag/disconnection in online games.

A 64 bit OS is good. The 32 bit is terrible.

Edited by krc473

3 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Any chance of trying it with an Ethernet connection? If you could, it would at least rule out issues with Wireless connectivity. I have had PC's before that just decide to reconnect to the internet, causing lag/disconnection in online games.

A 64 bit OS is good. The 32 bit is terrible.

i know, but what's could cause the disk to lag out? (as i mentioned before, it maxes out the hdd in the task manager)

7 minutes ago, TheSamamashi said:

i know, but what's could cause the disk to lag out? (as i mentioned before, it maxes out the hdd in the task manager)

A background process could do that (something might switch from a shared download+install to just install). Steam, virus checkers etc. it depends on the speed of the drive. 

Run a virus scan, defrag the drive, ensure all hardware is updated, and ensure no downloads/installations are running. Pick whichever are the easiest and see if you still get lag. If you do, pick more and repeat.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

A background process could do that (something might switch from a shared download+install to just install). Steam, virus checkers etc. it depends on the speed of the drive. 

Run a virus scan, defrag the drive, ensure all hardware is updated, and ensure no downloads/installations are running. Pick whichever are the easiest and see if you still get lag. If you do, pick more and repeat.

warframe was the application that maxed out the drive and therefore caused the spike. I dont think that there is anything i can do with virus scans