The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dedicated Servers

Question

Does this game have dedicated servers? I've just been wondering for a while since the host leaving and pausing the game for a bit reminds me of how For Honor used to be until they got dedicated servers.

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

No, as is evident from the evidence you have noticed yourself, the game uses a peer to peer system.

https://forums.warframe.com/forum/38-players-helping-players/

The only dedicated servers are in conclave, and afaik they're hosted by players, not DE.

Ah alright. It just sucks being in a middle of something and the host dc and when the game finally loads you're dead c;

Just now, (PS4)Auniro said:

Ah alright. It just sucks being in a middle of something and the host dc and when the game finally loads you're dead c;

Play Wukong. Never die again.

(I'm kidding ofc)

Aren't we supposed to be invincible during host migrations? Same as when we're actually loading into the map?

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Play Wukong. Never die again.

(I'm kidding ofc)

Aren't we supposed to be invincible during host migrations? Same as when we're actually loading into the map?

To be honest idk because i was playing a sortie earlier as Nova p and when the host dc'd when I loaded back in i was dead lmao

Might just be because of PS4 load times.

Edited by Guest

The closest thing to Dedicated Servers would be the Social Spaces (Relays, Clan Dojo, and other locations like Cetus or Maroo's Bazaar), next to the fan-authorized/hosted Conclave servers. The 'pausing' is a Host Migration, where a new host is being selected. Sometimes, people may load in 'prematurely' as I'd say it and lose their invincibility because the game registers they've loaded in, but the Host Migration screen hasn't disappeared yet. A similar issue plagues anyone loading into a mission with a squad that has slow/bad connection(s).

Warframe operates on a peer-to-peer hosting system due to DE not having the financial strength some other, far less benevolent, companies have (i.e: EA, Activision, Sony, Nintendo, Konami, and so on... then Microsoft, though there are others). Until DE finds a method for PVE-based fan-authorized/hosted 'dedicated' servers to operate, then you'll have to make sure you're the host.

As for whether we have immortality while we load in, yes, but it only lasts as long as we haven't spawned, and when we have it's only a second or two then you're at the mercy of whatever enemies are present. Only solutions there is to bring a resilient Warframe, like Inaros and Nidus or to ensure either you or someone with a good connection are the 1st player/host, until DE find a new solution of some kind.