Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Game Makes Me Sick! -__-

Lucilius

No, I don't mean that as an insult. 

I really mean it does make me sick. I don't think in all my years as a gamer, playing Nintendo Family Computer up to today, has a game really made me want to lie down and rest my eyes in complete and utter darkness.

Sometimes its so bad that it makes me want to hurl.

As in motion-sickness ala vertigo much! Seriously! It's the lights, the brightness and contrast, and the motion of the game.

Especially now, like I am farming for the Seer Pistol, and finally FINALLY got the barrel...My first try today, God Almighty the lights in the boss cell was like looking into a spotlight! 

Thank God (seriously) that the second try it kinda corrected itself.

Still, the lights are too bright. I played around 3-4 missions today and already my head hurts, the back of my neck is tense, my eyeballs and skull feel like throbbing. But I want to play more cuz...you know, farming.

What do I do to tone down these artificial lights? After playing, I see spots that are still burned into my optic nerves and retina.

My next monitor will have a refresh rate of at least 120 or more!

I really mean it does make me sick. I don't think in all my years as a gamer, playing Nintendo Family Computer up to today, has a game really made me want to lie down and rest my eyes in complete and utter darkness.

As in motion-sickness ala vertigo much! Seriously! It's the lights, the brightness and contrast, and the motion of the game.

Especially now, like I am farming for the Seer Pistol, and finally FINALLY got the barrel...My first try today, God Almighty the lights in the boss cell was like looking into a spotlight! 

Still, the lights are too bright. I played around 3-4 missions today and already my head hurts, the back of my neck is tense, my eyeballs and skull feel like throbbing. But I want to play more cuz...you know, farming.

What do I do to tone down these artificial lights? After playing, I see spots that are still burned into my optic nerves and retina.

screw around with the contrast on your computer moniter, and turn off motion blur in game. it helps alot

Also put FoV to max. Most common issue of motion sickness.

If you would want more detail... (disable mixed content shield if using firefox, since its a du*b and flags youtube as mixed ^^)

Edited by eStecko

i have a friend who told me he quit playing becuz of motion-sickness and eye-strain issues =[

i was sad to see him go, but i think i can understand, ive had to tweak with my settings a lot as well

thankfully it hasnt forced me to quit the game yet, but i feel bad for those that have had to

best of luck to you tho OP, i hope you can find a solution, and btw msg some of the DE staff and impress on them the importance of having more clear and diverse menu options (ie gfx settings, audio settings, etc)

For eyestrain, I'd recommend trying out a pair of Gunnar gaming glasses. I got myself a pair once I started getting a serious eyestrain and headaches every morning, after an evening of gaming. Now I can actually pull an all-nighter without getting a "gaming hangover".

Also, try turning off motion blur, depth of field, bloom, high dynamic range and colour correction. The game won't look quite as pretty, but it will seriously improve the visibility. And if you notice any screen tearing, enable VSync.

Also, playing around with your energy colour settings will help a lot. For example, If I have a Frost and use very bright energy colours, the Snow Globe will do my head in very quickly. That is why I have chosen to use a blue-ish purple which is less offending. You could say that colour has become more or less my trademark now... ;)

Edited by SoanoS

Holy moley...look at all the replies.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I never knew there were such things as "gaming glasses". Am researching on that now.

From all the replies so far, it just confirms my thoughts that a game with too much "eye-candy" is just like eating too much "real candy" - IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK.

For eyestrain, I'd recommend trying out a pair of Gunnar gaming glasses. I got myself a pair once I started getting a serious eyestrain and headaches every morning, after an evening of gaming. Now I can actually pull an all-nighter without getting a "gaming hangover".

Also, try turning off motion blur, depth of field, bloom, high dynamic range and colour correction. The game won't look quite as pretty, but it will seriously improve the visibility. And if you notice any screen tearing, enable VSync.

Also, playing around with your energy colour settings will help a lot. For example, If I have a Frost and use very bright energy colours, the Snow Globe will do my head in very quickly. That is why I have chosen to use a blue-ish purple which is less offending. You could say that colour has become more or less my trademark now... ;)

Hmmm...

I'll be having a pair of Essilor Airwear with Transition and everything else that is computer-relevant.

Gunnar sounds nice, but it seems to be stuck in the US of A for now.

Still, it does sound that it has superior screen optics technology.

Sit further back from your monitor as well.

Definitely helps. It's hard to notice but we frequently move closer to our screens when we concentrate. Catching this can reduce strain. Also looking away for short intervals and playing a in a well lit room helps. I did the whole "Zombie games in the Dark" back in High School, sure it was fun but it was sometimes painful on my eyes.

1. Turn off color correction, bloom, DoF, and motion blur

2. Maximize your viewing angle

3. Make sure vsync is OFF in game and ON on your card's global profile

4. turn down the amount of prerendered frames to 1

5.Sync your mouse movement as close to a 1:1000 ratio to your screen's refresh rate as possible

6. take a pinch of cinnamon before gaming

7. Considering using these: http://www.gunnars.com/

8. Turn on a dim light either far behind you off of the viewing angle of the monitor OR above and behind the monitor itself.

Edited by -Kittens-