Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hexagonal Mod Tiles - A Jumping-Off Point On The Road To Unique Builds

Lumireaver

Highly interesting! A system like this could have a lot of potential if done right! My only concern would be people figuring out the best placement of mods and it'd become the only setup ever to have.

As if we do not already have that going on with "optimum mod setups"

I love this idea it serves two purposes.

- Mod interatction

- Also makes all mods on 1 screen. No more jumping between primary to mod it's mods then swapping over to Melee to fix it's mods.

(Also, regarding Master Thief, and Heavy Impact... these mods and any other underused ones could be designed to have beneficial bonuses when adjacent to other infrequently used mods. Speaking hypothetically, imagine if by tiling together Thief's Wit, Master Thief, a third stealth-based mod, you were given assorted bonuses, like the ability to see lockers on the minimap, increased stealth attack damage, and some other nice bonus. Perhaps in addition to a slight bonus to mod base parameters. Overall it would help you build into a "thief/looter" archetype. Eventually someone will figure out the combination of mods to unlock this and they'll throw it out on the wiki, but the idea is to cultivate this sense of discovery when you build to a theme.)

....annnnnd SOLD to the man with the awesome idea.

That is exactly what I was referring to. It's not that I'm trying to remove mix/maxing, its fine, its there, It will always be there. I just felt this idea had more in it than trying to figure out how to squeeze a few more points of damage out of a gun or a little more regen out of a frame.

Please don't forget these not +- stat ideas as you move forward :)

Implementation would be a *$@ but I'll leave that to you guys. signed +1.

OK wait I got one!!

So if Master thief is above Flow...you gain 5 energy when you open a locker :)

To add onto that.

Linking Master Thief/Thief's Wit + Enemy Sense results in a chance to obtain materials by stealth attacking. Linking to Master Thief has a higher chance, linking to both further increases the chance.

I REALLY love this idea. Nothing much else to say. Of course, the problem is making all of the combinations and balancing them (along with the mods, there are a LOT of mod slots!). But this will definitely add a new dimension of customizability to weapon mod configurations.

EDIT: I just thought of something... A new mod that slightly enhances the effectiveness of mods around it. It does nothing else. Using this mod wastes a mod slot, but gives a small buff to everything around it.

Ok, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here... Some ideas...

-- Charged Chamber + Bane of <Faction> -- More bonus damage dealt towards the faction specified on a first round in a clip.

-- Thunderbolt + <Elemental Damage Mod> -- Explosions leave behind an elemental field, dealing damage over time and weakening enemy resistance to that element.

-- <Zoom Mod> + <Fire Rate Mod> -- Largely increases fire rate while zooming.

-- Melee Channel + Smite <Faction> -- Doubles the bonus of the damage gained from Melee Channel when attacking the given faction.

-- Diamond Skin + Redirection -- Corpus Laser attacks have a small chance to reflect back to enemies.

-- <Elemental Resistance> + Shock Absorbers -- Greatly reduces elemental damage on knockdown.

-- Master Thief + Equilibrium -- Energy orbs (25) now have a chance to drop from lockers.

-- Retribution + Heavy Impact -- Electrical shock range increased and has a chance to stun enemies around you briefly.

-- Fast Deflection + Steel Fiber -- Shield damage is now reduced by a percentage amount.

-- Warm Coat + <Mods Affecting Warframe Abilities> -- Your warframe now gains a larger bonus from the connected mods while affected by ice.

-- Staggering Force + True Steel -- Stunned enemies hit with a melee weapon from you now automatically take critical hits.

-- Staggering Force + <Elemental Damage Mod> -- Stunned enemies hit with a melee weapon from you now take bonus elemental damage.

-- Sanctuary + Guardian -- Time needed to revive you is now shorter. When reviving, your shields regenerate at moderate speed.

So many more to think about *___* This is a great idea. DE please consider this!

Edited by Celestics

OK wait I got one!!

So if Master thief is above Flow...you gain 5 energy when you open a locker :)

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Master Thief is a hard sell on it's own, and if they made a mod which gave you energy from lockers by itself it would be totally useless, but by making the later a feature associated with the former, you create an incentive to use a mod which otherwise would have been completely inferior to a choice like Streamline. Of course, you could throw Streamline on there as well, but with the extra energy, maybe you wouldn't need it and could chose to slot something different without an overall drop in efficacy.

Maybe I'm just being a Luddite but can someone explain to me how this is functionally (not aesthetically) an improvement over the polarity system?

I never found an issue with making slight tweaks to my build, there are plenty of baked in ways to do that, simply use a lv9 heated charge and drop the trick mag to 3 instead of 4 for example. This seems like a tremendous overhaul if the goal is just to allow a different type of small min max tweaks.

If anything we need BIG tweaks in the mod department such as not every build relying on stacking fire rate, base dmg and multi shot, then squeezing in elementals. IMO this would just be another way that players would try and figure out how to get a few more % multi shot and base dmg.

Maybe one could made the buff the mods get a bit more simple, its easier to implement, and more easy to balance (not so much fun, but good too)

1. The mod dont get a new effect, only its effect is raised, the more mods connected the stronger the buff.

(for example steel fiber could get a buff to raise the armor for 5% extra, for each mod that is connected. Make it a hard amount, or depending of the effect of the mod must be tested what is better.)

2. Implement a scaling level for each mod, for example some mods have an internal level 1 and some have level 4 or similar. the higher the level, the higher is the amount of the buff of the connected mods.

(example: Multishot (level 1 class) only get a small buff pro connected mod (maybe 1% extra) but Lightning Rod (level 4 class) for example would get a much higher buff pro connected mod (maybe 4% additional resistance pro mod))

3. See the internal level system from point 2. -> the higher the level the higher is the buff the mod give to connected mods, so "weaker" mods give higher bonus. (Level 1 class -> 1x bonus / level 4 class -> 4x bonus)

But to further improve weak / less used mods, one could use the average value of both connected mods.

(example: level 1 class mod and level 4 calss mod is connected, level 1 has no additional bonus, level 4 - 4x bonus so it is a total bonus of 2, if it has to be rounded, should be round down. So in this case Multishot would get a total bonus of 2% only from this connected mod. Compared to Lightning Rod and another level 4 class mod would give addiditonal 16% of resistance (amount only as example))

While a nice idea, the complexities are most likely lost on Warframe where there is realy only one aspect to the game; 'kill something as fast as you can'.  This aspect means faster you kill the faster you get loot (containers can assist in that but it's not the focus).  Sure it's fun but realy only one dimentional in this respect so more damage will almost always be the best option (aside from ignoring it completly if you only care about the end/boss reward).

Main aspects that need to be addressed for it to work though

- complete transparency in stats (no point in linking cards for some unknown effect, most players dont use a wiki while playing)

- Intuative links (so nothing like focus linked to seration increasing running speed, as an extreme example)

- tighter diversity in current weapon stats (curently there are weapons that are simply 3-4 times more effective than others in all situations, they will dominate still without artificial layout hinderances)

- simple recognition of each individual mod (the current images wont work with the hex layout, the hexs are just too small)

- without large ammounts of mods you may be forced to use bad links (making it unfriendly to new players, in the games current state)

Also keep in mind that for every single mod there are up to 12 links that heavily relate to it (and a multitude of minor links).  Six that directly link and how those other six mods interact with each other based on their placement around the central one.  That makes for an astounding level of complexity and interaction.  DE has issues in making mods feasable options individually without these interactions currently.

I'd suspect to actually do something like this you would need to scrap the current system completly (aside from polarity costings) and work it from the ground up for it ever to be balanced and actually worth the added complexities and compounded effects.

Edited by Loswaith

- simple recognition of each individual mod (the current images wont work with the hex layout, the hexs are just too small)

- without large ammounts of mods you may be forced to use bad links (making it unfriendly to new players, in the games current state)

Also keep in mind that for every single mod there are up to 12 links that heavily relate to it (and a multitude of minor links).  Six that directly link and how those other six mods interact with each other based on their placement around the central one.  That makes for an astounding level of complexity and interaction.  DE has issues in making mods feasable options individually without these interactions currently.

You've definitely made some points to consider. Naturally the UI should be designed to have as much information as possible. (When it comes to UI design I'm a big fan of Sting Entertainment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om-_7r9GYwk'>Example.) I feel there should be some "hard to find" links which use combos no one would think to use, but everything should make some degree of sense.

I don't think the hexes are too small to fit the mod image, but in my head-mock-up you would be able to see the full card (with expanded details) on mouseover via tooltip.

Also yeah, I was thinking it might be a good idea to keep the largestlinks limited to the three mods which are actually physically touching each other. Each mod would be able to be a part of more than one set of three links though.