Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Need Tips For College :o

W4RM4CHIN3

Redefine yourself. More than likely no one will know you and that gives you a great opportunity to find out who you really want to be. Join lots of groups, meet people, be involved. My biggest regret with college is that I spent alot of my time cooped up in my room doing whatever, rather than going out with people. Also, if you have Netflix, get rid of it. Learned that one the hard way.

Don't party too much :)

Study!

Prioritize!

Get sh.t done before it becomes a rush to do it.

Talk to your Professors, if they are Computer Science majors, about starting off in the industry and where to get your foot in the door. I have a Professor who is going to offer me a position on their IT team when I graduate, you never now who has what to offer!

Redefine yourself. More than likely no one will know you and that gives you a great opportunity to find out who you really want to be. Join lots of groups, meet people, be involved. My biggest regret with college is that I spent alot of my time cooped up in my room doing whatever, rather than going out with people. Also, if you have Netflix, get rid of it. Learned that one the hard way.

hmm your somewhat like me , but the going out part was so true for me . i went to college to study my first year in art & Animation and oh boy was it *Kinda* fun

sure we had a lot of LAN parts all tho that was mostly for exams and stuff like that but nether the less we go on pretty well , i also finding it funny how we all bring laptops going out to eat and just drawing these random &#! drawings that we sooner or later continued to turn into weird Gif's :D

but i was in my room most of the time because studying was a pain same witch prepping for next day and assignments due etc etc

however that was 3-4 years ago and oh boy have i done nothing since then (feels like s.hit , i have not even touched my CV since then because i make most of my money by selling some of my art and doing some work in the background for others but still not a good way of living)

Edited by DiBBz

Generally agree with above posters. I did community college then transferred and got my degree at UCSD. Was the right path for me. Hope you have a great time. 

Find internships that apply to your career. Take them! They are hugely valuable. Make those people love you and want to hire you when you graduate. 

Talk to your Professors, if they are Computer Science majors, about starting off in the industry and where to get your foot in the door. I have a Professor who is going to offer me a position on their IT team when I graduate, you never now who has what to offer!

This. It's amazing how few people actually do this, and most professors will appreciate that you took the time to make them feel important.

They've invested a lot of time and energy in their field, and now they have some influence and resources to help people with. When you come to them asking for advice, or just asking questions about the course that prove you care, it makes an impression.

I had a steady part-time job doing web design for the psychology department at my college, just because the professor mentioned it and said that interested students should stick around after class that day. It was just myself and one other guy, and there was enough work for both of us.

I wound up seeing a LOT of benefits down the road from "that one day where I stayed after class." Once professors and people at your college know you, you'll have the fast track on so many things where word of mouth is a factor. It absolutely pays off.

Don't party too much :)

Study!

Prioritize!

Get sh.t done before it becomes a rush to do it.

You're so lucky.