Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat common shortcuts

(PSN)watt4hem

So i've just transfered jnto PC not too long ago, and i find that the chat window is very awkward to use.

On console, i was accustomed to not being able to move freely to begin with. But on pc, where i do most of my work and use keyboard 80% of the time, i find the lack of common shortcuts there annoying.

Thatsaid, here are some i think could speed things up a bit, a QoL addition :

tab* : move a tab forward

shift + tab : move a tab backward

ctrl + w : close tab

ctrl + q : close all

ctrl + c & v : duh

ctrl + a : block all

ctrl + enter : make an enter space instead of sending

And blocking text with your cursor

and probably an adition, use F1 and so on for quickly opening tabs (e.g. F1 squad, F2 clan, F3 alliance, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

i'll completely agree with you about the ctrl-c, ctrl-v(even though it works with text copied from outside of the warframe chat), and text selection, but i disagree about the ctrl-enter for newline, ctrl-a for select all text, and the ctrl-w/q for closing tabs.  reason for agreeing on the copy-paste etc. is we need that function in the game.  reason for disagreeing with the newline, select all, and closing tabs is you don't NEED to newline in chats where you'd want to, selecting all text is a recipe for disaster, and the ctrl-q/w are easy to mess up and hit, especially ctrl-w due to it also being moving forward while sliding.

On 2018-07-15 at 7:49 AM, (PS4)watt4hem said:

tab* : move a tab forward

shift + tab : move a tab backward

Assuming you mean ''move forward to the next tab'' then it already does this, or at least it does for me.

And if you use Steam then tab moves tab, and shift tab causes you to go backwards and open the overlay, which creates a whole heap of issues in itself.

8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Assuming you mean ''move forward to the next tab'' then it already does this, or at least it does for me.

And if you use Steam then tab moves tab, and shift tab causes you to go backwards and open the overlay, which creates a whole heap of issues in itself.

yeah, i know ALL about that issue.  annoying, but i don't want to change the steam overlay shortcut because i'd end up changing it for ALL games.  and for the ones that don't use shift-tab for something else, i'm used to using that to open the overlay.

Just now, AnonymousUserTheOnly said:

yeah, i know ALL about that issue.  annoying, but i don't want to change the steam overlay shortcut because i'd end up changing it for ALL games.  and for the ones that don't use shift-tab for something else, i'm used to using that to open the overlay.

Indeed. I'm not entirely sure why DE did it this way tbh... Like, not only is it a common shortcut but it still takes effect, opening the overlay with chat open still moves your chat backwards meaning you have to move it back again...

I play Elite Dangerous and tab is bound to the ''boost'' key. You'd think that I'd be boosting about all over the place whilst using steam, but no, they specifically made it so that not only is nothing bound to shift + tab, but tab does nothing if you press shift first.

2 hours ago, AnonymousUserTheOnly said:

i'll completely agree with you about the ctrl-c, ctrl-v(even though it works with text copied from outside of the warframe chat), and text selection, but i disagree about the ctrl-enter for newline, ctrl-a for select all text, and the ctrl-w/q for closing tabs.  reason for agreeing on the copy-paste etc. is we need that function in the game.  reason for disagreeing with the newline, select all, and closing tabs is you don't NEED to newline in chats where you'd want to, selecting all text is a recipe for disaster, and the ctrl-q/w are easy to mess up and hit, especially ctrl-w due to it also being moving forward while sliding.

I don't think messing up with game controls would be a problem since you'd have to actively press T first to open the chat tabs. Well if we have text blocking then select all won't be needed as much, but still, it feels kinda weird not being able to do that. I kinda see how new lines could be used for spamming so that might not be too good of an addition.

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

I gave tab a * but forgot to write what it meant.. didn't know about shift tab being a thing already though. I completely forgot about that steam overlay tbh since i never used it, that might be problematic.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

I gave tab a * but forgot to write what it meant.. didn't know about shift tab being a thing already though. I completely forgot about that steam overlay tbh since i never used it, that might be problematic.

It can be, especially if you're darting between trade chat and warframe.market, or lobby chat and steam pm.

One of the issues the overlay causes is that the chat thinks shift is still held down upon return to the game, so pressing 'tab' to move to the channel you were on pre-overlay results in you going backwards again...

3 minutes ago, AnonymousUserTheOnly said:

if you're talking in chat and playing a mission, its easy to get ctrl pressed when you don't need to.  especially when you bullet-jump all the time.

Yeah but, like for example we already have ctrl v now, and it doesn't effect gameplay since you'll need the chat window open before that does any pasting, ctrl w on gameplay won't do anything is what i was thinking.