Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get Rid Of No Shields Nightmare Mode

Limekim

I find it challenging.

It's punishing because it doesn't fit your normal playstyle.

It's a different kind of fun though. That's for sure. It's a challenge to tackle and maybe come out on top. Success is not guaranteed.

I like it.

I have to agree with the OP for the simple reason: the vast majority of enemy attacks (certainly the ranged ones) CAN'T be avoided indefinetely due to hitscan. Therefore you are guaranteed to die after a certain amount of time without any regenerative protection, or any powers to bail you out. Having no energy as a condition is fine, having no shields as a condition is fine, the problem is having both together, and as the most common Nightmare mutation to boot.

It's punishing because it's Nightmare mode. Sure, it's the most taxing combo there is but it's still doable. It only returns you to a time where shooters didn't have stuff like shields and super powers so you have to adapt accordingly to the situation which is 'less rush' and 'more use of cover'

@Wiegraf

My counterpoint to that would be that there really is not enough sufficient usable cover for that to work, nor is there any sufficient volume of health restoratives. As I said, it is impossible (or at least nigh on it) to avoid getting hit entirely, so unless you have specifically built your frame to have a hell of a lot of health and/or armour (by chance, since you arn't told in advance what the conditions will be), it seems unlikely you will succeed. Or spend a long time waiting for Rejuvenation to grant you your health back I suppose, but there's not a lot of enjoyment to be had in that.

@Wiegraf

My counterpoint to that would be that there really is not enough sufficient usable cover for that to work, nor is there any sufficient volume of health restoratives. As I said, it is impossible (or at least nigh on it) to avoid getting hit entirely, so unless you have specifically built your frame to have a hell of a lot of health and/or armour (by chance, since you arn't told in advance what the conditions will be), it seems unlikely you will succeed. Or spend a long time waiting for Rejuvenation to grant you your health back I suppose, but there's not a lot of enjoyment to be had in that.

There's two way to ready yourself up for those :

• Bring Health Packs
  • Don't do them alone

You WILL get downed, that's the mindset you must get yourself around for that kind of mission. It's why you need a good team to tackle a Nightmare mode of any sort so that in the off chance it IS no shield / energy drain, you can still pull it off.

It's the only combo that makes the mode really "Nightmare". The others are a stroll in the park compared to that.

Which is what I don't like: The difficulty gap between the different combos is inexplicably huge. One out of 3 times only is it really what you expect from a Hard mode.

Some players will just alt+f4 when they get the combo, like Ice levels, and "roll again" for an easier combo (I do it too :p).

Either they make all the combos as hard as noshield/noenergy everytime, or at least they even out the different combos in term of difficulty (why isn't there a no shield/time attack combo, or a energy drain/vampiric?)

At least you'd know what you get into, and chose your gear accordingly. No easy way out.

Energy Drain and Shield Removal do nothing but make tankier frames better. Goodbye skillful Loki, you are not healthy enough. Volt? No way.

Hello Rhino!

It does nothing but make us require a frame and that's it. These challenges need to be actual challenges overall, like "Enemies can only die from headshots" and things of skillful nature, not punishments..

It actually is challenging, no more peekaboo hide and shield recharge.  (kind of hate halo for that stupid mechanic ruining so many shooters as a terribad crutch which then led to the implementation of B-sponges and D-spam in so many games now T_T )

Energy Drain and Shield Removal do nothing but make tankier frames better. Goodbye skillful Loki, you are not healthy enough. Volt? No way.

Hello Rhino!

It does nothing but make us require a frame and that's it. These challenges need to be actual challenges overall, like "Enemies can only die from headshots" and things of skillful nature, not punishments..

Or you could cheese it with Rhino >_> 

lol 

Headshots only, I'm OK with that.  What else you got?

Wall run/midair kills only....F*** yeah.  Bring on the rage. 

My issue is that I only run light frames, don't want to delete any, and can't afford to buy any frame slots right now. Because of these three factors I don't/can't play nightmare mode so I am locked out of getting dual mods.....I dislike this because I'm being punished/excluded for choosing to play a certain way and that sucks.

My issue is that I only run light frames, don't want to delete any, and can't afford to buy any frame slots right now. Because of these three factors I don't/can't play nightmare mode so I am locked out of getting dual mods.....I dislike this because I'm being punished/excluded for choosing to play a certain way and that sucks.

Have people carry you if you just care about the mods and not the difficultly challenge.

I have to agree with the OP for the simple reason: the vast majority of enemy attacks (certainly the ranged ones) CAN'T be avoided indefinetely due to hitscan.

Ehhhh False?

I can pretty reliably move around bullets when I need to. Enemies don't seem to have the best tracking ability. Or accuracy straight up for that matter.

Unless you stand still and in the open / camp behind cover. Yeah. I can see how you would be getting shot/dieing a lot.

Edited by Stinker