Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Only Have One Sniper Available To A Brand New Player...

zephyrdragoon

I want to preface this by saying that I'm not including bows in my numbers because they aren't rifles. 

There are only 4 sniper rifles in the game. Snipetron, Snipetron Vandal, Lanka, and the Vulkar. Almost all players who participated in the grineer informant event have the snipetron and its vandal counterpart. They are fantastic weapons, good damage, they ignore armor, vandal has a good clip size and reload speed. They just have one problem, anyone who just started playing this game doesn't have access to them. The snipetron is off the market, vandal was event exclusive, and the lanka requires mastery rank 7. That leaves just one sniper a newbie can use.

The Vulkar.

Sure they can get a Lanka after a few months of grinding the XP and levels to get mastery rank 7 but what if they want one now. They only have one option in the form of the vulkar. I personally don't like the vulkar, it has none of the benefits of the original snipetron and all of the shortcomings. Low clip size, no armor ignore, and a long reload time. The 25 extra damage won't make up for that. Every other sniper, the ones that are hard/impossible to get, outclasses it in almost every way. 

This ties in with another 'problem', we have very few infested weapons. We have the Mire, the Torid, and the Acrid. Thats less than 4% of all weapons that are 'infested'. Similar problem with them because only the Mire is available to a new player. 

Here's my solution. An Infested sniper rifle.

You heard me right, space zombies and sniper rifles. But why would I use this gun you ask? Why because it deals Tons of Damage... Wait, wrong game. Tons of DoT's. Similar to the Acrid but from a distance. Let me lay a stat block on you.

The Venin

Type                   Sniper Rifle

Damage Type     Poison

Base Damage     100

Crit Chance        15%

Crit Damage       150%

Fire Rate            1 shots/s

Clip Size             6

Reload Speed    2.5s

The Venin is a high accuracy, long-range sniper rifle capable of delivering a toxic agent directly to an enemy. Shots fired from this weapon cause a stacking DoT effect similar to the Acrid. (The Venin will leave a stacking DoT that ticks 4 times over 4 seconds, each tick deals 80% the original damage as poison damage.)

This weapon is designed to land accurate shots on multiple enemies and watch as the poison eats them away. Possibly making it the only 'fire-and-forget' weapon.

Acquiring 

The BP for this weapon can be purchased off the market for 30,000 credits. Crafting requires:

9,000 Nanospores

500 Plastids

2,000 Salvage

2 Neural Sensors

30,000 Credits

12 Hours

Pro's

-High Base damage

-Stacking DoT

-Accurate

-Long-Range

-Poison damage

-Quiet

Con's

-Long reload time

-Relatively low clip

-Unsuited for close combat

-Slow fire rate

-Not silent

Aesthetics

I am a terrible artist, so I probably won't try to make a picture. However, the weapon is not sharp or angled like the corpus guns or function-over-form as so many of the grineer weapons are. It is a long gun with sweeping curves and a split barrel. The stock splits to form an overall 'Y' (Rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise) with the upper limb going up over the shoulder and the lower limb shortening so it doesn't protrude beneath your arm. Reloading the gun causes a blast of pressurized gas to eject the old magazine to make way for a new one.

tl;dr: I made a sniper rifle, it shoots acrids.

Changelog

-Fire rate changed from 1.5 to 1.

-Clip size changed from 5 to 6.

Edited by zephyrdragoon

Needs more RoF and Magazine since the whole point its to stack those dots..

I'm somewhat opposed to that because I feel with 100 base damage and the DoT it would be op if you unloaded 8 or 10 shots into the same guy.

I'm going to lean towards a thumbs down; sniping weapons are meant to kill in one shot (i.e. high DPH) with low DPS.

It will kill in one shot, just not immediately.

sounds OP if this is your idea for a sniper rifle that new players can acquire

tl;dr op.

I'm somewhat opposed to that because I feel with 100 base damage and the DoT it would be op if you unloaded 8 or 10 shots into the same guy.

It will kill in one shot, just not immediately.

tl;dr op.

I guess...?

The problem with all of these DOT weapons is the back-ended DPS and the stacking. Stacking makes DOTs overpowered, and you're not supposed to spam with a sniper rifle to get faster kills (i.e. not as effective).

Edited by ChaoticVice777

I guess...?

The problem with all of these DOT weapons is the back-ended DPS and the stacking. Stacking makes DOTs overpowered, and you're not supposed to spam with a sniper rifle to get faster kills (i.e. not as effective).

Its meant to hit one enemy once or twice then move onto the next. the DoT will kill the old guys without you having to do anything.

Theres a Tenno Sniper coming soon, and they have talked about 3 new infested weapons, maybe one will resemble this?

But I htink with acrid bullets, it should be something like a Latron then, and would require a higher mastery...

Yea, but after 2 other weapons. Sniper got the least votes. I don't want this to be something that takes mastery rank 4 or 5 to get, something people can get early and use late.

A DoT sniper rifle doesn't make a lot of sense. Like someone above me said, snipers are meant to take out enemies in one hit (or at least do high damage) and the stacking DoT affect kind of goes against that idea, you don't want to have to shoot an enemy several times then wait for it to die.

I do like the idea of an infested sniper rifle however and there are other characteristics of infested that could be incorporated into a weapon like this. For example it could ignore shields like toxics do or it could cause enemies it kills to explode with poison. There's probably more interesting ideas than those two out their too.

The damage you have listed is absurdly high as well. unranked that's 420 damage a shot after the DoT.

Edited by merryfistmas

Its meant to hit one enemy once or twice then move onto the next. the DoT will kill the old guys without you having to do anything.

Yea, but after 2 other weapons. Sniper got the least votes. I don't want this to be something that takes mastery rank 4 or 5 to get, something people can get early and use late.

The DOT alone does more damage than the Lanka, even with the duration. Fix?

At the very least, this isn't designed as a newbie sniper weapon then. Warframe needs a more effective beginner and intermediate tier for the sniper rifles.

A DoT sniper rifle doesn't make a lot of sense. Like someone above me said, snipers are meant to take out enemies in one hit (or at least do high damage) and the stacking DoT affect kind of goes against that idea, you don't want to have to shoot an enemy several times then wait for it to die.

I do like the idea of an infested sniper rifle however and there are other characteristics of infested that could be incorporated into a weapon like this. For example it could ignore shields like toxics do or it could cause enemies it kills to explode with poison. There's probably more interesting ideas than those two out their too.

The damage you have listed is absurdly high as well. unranked that's 420 damage a shot after the DoT.

Well, it'll kill in one shot...

The DOT alone does more damage than the Lanka, even with the duration. Fix?

At the very least, this isn't designed as a newbie sniper weapon then. Warframe needs a more effective beginner and intermediate tier for the sniper rifles.

Well it was designed as a newbie sniper weapon. DoT's just aren't newbie enough apparently. Besides, this is just the first foray into the vast land that is 'snipers that could be'.

They are releasing a Tenno Sniper Rifle next.

There are images out there and in the design council concerning it.

Edit: When I say "next" I mean the next sniper rifle they release will be Tenno Brand. The actual date might be far in the future.

Edited by Archistopheles

Eventually they need to fix the "exclusive flagship weapon" problem that they have with some vandal weapons (mainly looking at you snipetron vandal).  Exclusive gear should be aesthetic in nature, not best-in-class performance-wise.

The easiest fix is to simply create non-vandal weapons with identical stats to the exclusive vandal counterparts.  The exclusive model/skin, a full weapon's worth of extra mastery points, and basically getting an extremely powerful weapon for free by simply participating is your reward from the event. 

No matter how much vets like their exclusive shinies, they can't deny that it is extremely poor game design for a new player who joins at a later date to be doomed to a strictly-worse build because he wasn't around for the ________ event to get the strictly-superior _________ weapon/mod.

The stat-equivalent weapon doesn't need to be easy to acquire.  Its BP's and components can be hard to acquire.  The pieces can be hidden away as nightmare/stalker/boss/void/alert/clan-tech/new_content drops.  It just needs to be acquirable by any player at a future date who is willing to put in the effort to assemble the weapon.

Edited by GeneralArmchair

Eventually they need to fix the "exclusive flagship weapon" problem that they have with some vandal weapons (mainly looking at you snipetron vandal).  Exclusive gear should be aesthetic in nature, not best-in-class performance-wise.

The easiest fix is to simply create non-vandal weapons with identical stats to the exclusive vandal counterparts.  The exclusive model/skin, a full weapon's worth of extra mastery points, and basically getting an extremely powerful weapon for free by simply participating is your reward from the event. 

No matter how much vets like their exclusive shinies, they can't deny that it is extremely poor game design for a new player who joins at a later date to be doomed to a strictly-worse build because he wasn't around for the ________ event to get the strictly-superior _________ weapon/mod.

The stat-equivalent weapon doesn't need to be easy to acquire.  Its BP's and components can be hard to acquire.  The pieces can be hidden away as nightmare/stalker/boss/void/alert/clan-tech/new_content drops.  It just needs to be acquirable by any player at a future date who is willing to put in the effort to assemble the weapon.

As much as it looks good on paper/theory, people want something more than looks when farming and getting the parts of a certain weapon/Warframe. Therefore, having slightly superior stats on the Vandal and Primes wouldn't hurt (e.g. the Snipetron Vandal shouldn't be outright better than the Snipetron).

BratonV vs Flux , Flux is STILL the best full auto rifle in the game. SnipetronV vs Lanka , Lanka is STILL the best full auto rifle in the game. LatoV + LatoP , Acrid is STILL the best Sidearm in the game (hell,the best weapon in the game).  Have you noticed something? Eh ? Yep everyone can acquire those weapons from the clan dojo,no matter when they joined. Vandals are just trophy weapons to show people you've been around for more than they have.  

Oh and mods,besides Lethal Torrent (only "exclusive" mod worth getting,even tho they said it  gets added to the nightmare rewards soon) you can get any other mod by playing the game. And no,i'm pretty sure no one uses Primed Chamber,waste of a mod slot when you could put something better in there that actually increases your overall damage,not just 1 first shot.