Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Is The Host?

LxLawliet

Perhaps I fail to notice it, but for me, it isn't obvious who the host is when I join a random squad via online mode.

An indicator would be especially useful for defense - that way, if the host decides to stop defending, I could do the same instead of risking a migration to a laggy host.

Edited by InfinitexL

Sometimes, you can tell if you're the host yourself -- Break a container and watch to see how the objects behave.

If they hover in the air a few seconds and slowly fall to the ground (esp if it has jerky movement), then you are not the host.

If the stuff does fall quickly... then you COULD be the host, OR, the host might have a fast connection and there's no need to worry.

Edited by Xylia

Also, I'd like to point out that ping times mean next-to-nothing as far as how well they can host a game.

Your average person has a good ping, but either poor bandwidth or poor computer power is usually the culprit of poor hosting. Someone on Dialup could have a ping as low as 120, but I guarantee you, that a game would be nigh unplayable if the host is on dialup.

That's true.

But if you try to kill Lech Kril and he is bugged (don't know if that happens anymore) and no players

have lags, then it often helps when the host leaves, and a host migration come up.

So a marker for the host would help to know which player has to leave.

Edited by raiden1337

Sometimes, you can tell if you're the host yourself -- Break a container and watch to see how the objects behave.

If they hover in the air a few seconds and slowly fall to the ground (esp if it has jerky movement), then you are not the host.

If the stuff does fall quickly... then you COULD be the host, OR, the host might have a fast connection and there's no need to worry.

But what if you join a session where there are no more containers? I use this technique you suggest quite often, but it would be nice to see WHO the host is anyway.

Exactly. We need to be able to tell who is the host, and a possible UI to see the ping. Perhaps a possible Host Change function to possibly absolve lag spikes in game? We might need that.

+1

But what if you join a session where there are no more containers? I use this technique you suggest quite often, but it would be nice to see WHO the host is anyway.

this is true... being able to change hosts at will does make for some 'exploits' with how the system works currently. however, to be honest, containers rarely drop good resources, so all you'd really get is another few hundred XP, another hundred or two health, and a few hundred energy (along with like 500 credits or w/e but who the hell cares about 500 credits)

Oh sure I'd Love a little indicator beside the player's name in the Z window, but until we get something like that... this is something you can do in the meantime.

Also, if there are no containers, you can watch how ammo boxes drop from slain enemies; they act the same way.

Also, if there are no containers, you can watch how ammo boxes drop from slain enemies; they act the same way.

I mainly observe the death animation of slain enemies - if they fall down (or "dissipate") rather slowly, it can also be indicator of whether or not you are the host.