The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help With Using Led Tv As A Monitor

Shin

Question

Hi im not sure if i should post this here but recently i decided to change my monitor so i bought myself a 22'' Philips Led tv to use it as a monitor but now i cant play games because resolutions are weird. Now when i change my screen resolution there are black lines left right bottom of my screen and if i were to enter a game in fullscreen mode i cant click anything and my screen is like this

134.jpg

Its the same in every game. I havent tried reinstalling anything but this is upsetting me . Now im sure there has to be a fix for this but i couldnt find any solution to this

What am i suppose to do ? The guys who sold this tv to me said there shouldnt be any problems using it as a monitor Im currently Using the HDMI cable(i havent tried calling them for help)

Thank you for your replies and i hope i can find a fix for this because i cant play anything or change the resolution ..

I fixed some of my problems somehow but one problem still remains.black regions in my screen Up down left and right there are black spaces. How can i fix them anyone knows?

Edited by Shin

15 answers to this question

I too game on a TV, and have experience a similar problem though not as extreme as your image there. Have you tried adjusting the resolution of the game? Usually that works for me and I recently had a problem with Freelancer full screen and increasing the resolution fixed it. 

Also can you adjust the aspect ration on your TV? I am able to switch mine from 4:3 and 16:9 or auto detect and Wide fit. Make sure the games aspect ratio matches your TV. 

Television and gaming are viewed slightly differently, standard TV screens actually wrap under the boarder of the TV to compensation for 'dead space' on the periphery of TV broadcasts. Its called overscan. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Computers work differently and without this extra unseen area of screen. This leads to most TVs not being completely compatible with standard computer screen resolution settings. I had the same problem trying to use my TV as a monitor. To my knowledge there is no way around it. I eventually broke down and bought a crappy monitor at a yardsale in the interim while I save up for a real monitor. 

You may need to adjust scaling options on the TV and/or in the driver control panel for your video card.

Knowing what GPU and TV you are using, as well as how you have them connected may allow for a more specific solution.

Television and gaming are viewed slightly differently, standard TV screens actually wrap under the boarder of the TV to compensation for 'dead space' on the periphery of TV broadcasts. Its called overscan. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Computers work differently and without this extra unseen area of screen. This leads to most TVs not being completely compatible with standard computer screen resolution settings. I had the same problem trying to use my TV as a monitor. To my knowledge there is no way around it. I eventually broke down and bought a crappy monitor at a yardsale in the interim while I save up for a real monitor. 

Most LCD TVs made in the last 10 years have an a "native" scaling option, and both AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards allow adjustment of their overscan/scaling in their respective control panels.

I have two, 5-7 year old, budget oriented 40" LCD TVs (a Philips and a Toshiba) that both take correctly scaled native 1080p input without issue. Rarely have I encountered a screen that does not work correctly after minor adjustment.

Edited by Saenol

I too game on a TV, and have experience a similar problem though not as extreme as your image there. Have you tried adjusting the resolution of the game? Usually that works for me and I recently had a problem with Freelancer full screen and increasing the resolution fixed it. 

Also can you adjust the aspect ration on your TV? I am able to switch mine from 4:3 and 16:9 or auto detect and Wide fit. Make sure the games aspect ratio matches your TV. 

I did. But when i did that screen was off the charts so i had to use  ATI catalyst Scaling options to overscan it a little. On desktop screen is normal. When i try to set the resolution in fullscreen i cant click on the thing i want instead it clicks other places.

I dont know how i did it but somehow i managed to run the games without my mouse clicking the places i dont click. But the black places are not gone. Game runs normally but there are empty spaces on left right up and down of the screen any idea how to fix these ? 

Hi im not sure if i should post this here but recently i decided to change my monitor so i bought myself a 22'' Philips Led tv to use it as a monitor but now i cant play games because resolutions are weird. Now when i change my screen resolution there are black lines left right bottom of my screen and if i were to enter a game in fullscreen mode i cant click anything and my screen is like this

134.jpg

Its the same in every game. I havent tried reinstalling anything but this is upsetting me . Now im sure there has to be a fix for this but i couldnt find any solution to this

What am i suppose to do ? The guys who sold this tv to me said there shouldnt be any problems using it as a monitor Im currently Using the HDMI cable(i havent tried calling them for help)

Thank you for your replies and i hope i can find a fix for this because i cant play anything or change the resolution ..

I fixed some of my problems somehow but one problem still remains.black regions in my screen Up down left and right there are black spaces. How can i fix them anyone knows?

change your screen resoulution, in game  go to options and  the screen icon

It works perfectly but if i try to change the resolution those black regions comes back

As long as it's set to your TV's native resolution, it's fine. This is because your TV probably doesn't have a built in upscaler, which means it can only display raw resolutions; lower resolutions than the screen are not blown up like they would on a computer monitor which usually handles such things.

Of course if you bought a Vizio you wouldn't have this problem. <3 my Vizio TV.

So there is no way to fix this huh ? Though i couldnt run the warframe on 1920 before but i can run it now but i cant run some of the games in that resolution because my pc is not the best unfortunately

wish there was a way to fix it.. 

So there is no way to fix this huh ? Though i couldnt run the warframe on 1920 before but i can run it now but i cant run some of the games in that resolution because my pc is not the best unfortunately

wish there was a way to fix it..

There is. You have to make sure that your graphics card handles the resolution upscaling (blowing up the image to span across the whole resolution) and not your TV or Windows or the game.

If you have an Nvidia card, see below:

NJMaOed.png

I know that AMD cards have the same options somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center.

Also in the 'size' tab there's a "allow desktop resizing" option, which is something you want checked. It allows you to fix issues that are sometimes caused by TV's &!$$-poor resolution scaling converters.

Aspect Ratio may cause black bars on the sides, or above/below the image if your display resolution isn't the same ratio as the TV; Full-Screen will stretch the image, but this may cause distortions.

Edited by Letter13

@Letter13 Im using ati card and in CCC this should be the option for me but i cant seem to unlock it by any means

gpuscaling3.jpg

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/UnableToSetGPUScaling.aspx

This link says it should fix my current problem but i cant seem to find a way to click that "Maintain Aspect Ratio" thingy

After changing windows resolution i managed to select Maintain aspect ratio but it doesnt change anything and when i change the resolution back to 1920 1080 this option is greyed out again and its on Scale image to full panel size.

Argh i should have bought an monitor oh god my head hurts

Edited by Shin

Guys i fixed it. This is weird though 

If i want to have a resolution other than 1920 - 1080 i have to add another resolution Through CCC. I did that and now i have another resolution to select. If i select the resolution i added I can play perfectly but it seems i have to make a resolution for myself if i need to use another resolution.

This thead can be locked or i can provide information about how i fixed it because this can happen to anyone i guess 

Thank you for helping me so far ^^