Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Excal' Super Jump Update

HawKish

It's been said that the Super Jump ability has been overtaken by the majority of melee coptering (in distance perspective, height is not an issue as far as I know)
How about an added movement at the top of the super jump which allows another jump from it's peak.  It doesn't have to be a height relative jump, but more directional toward any area that you're pointing.
Just an Idea...

Honestly, if superjump could be used in mid-air it'd basically fix all the things. Or at least all the things that relate to superjump being a waste of energy.

I was just about to say this. Allow it to be used mid-air and it would be an amazing mobility skill

The main problem with Super Jump is that it is criminally outshined by Zephyr's Tail Wind, Nova's Worm Hole, and even Valkyr's Rip Line. It is easily the worst mobility power in the game, IMO. The late addition of a stealth component really adds nothing as far as I'm concerned: you're going straight up without being able to change direction, what's the point of "hiding" in the air if you're going to fall back down not too far from where you started? Not much of an escape.

My current thinking is to make it a jet pack: a toggle ability with steady energy drain and constant thrust. Range mods affect the angle of climb (low range would be around a 30 degree angle, additional range making it up to a 60 degree angle or so). Power strength could determine the speed of ascent. No other actions (aside from slight turning) can be taken until toggle is turned off.

Edited by DaftMeat

It's been said that the Super Jump ability has been overtaken by the majority of melee coptering (in distance perspective, height is not an issue as far as I know)

Super Jump makes you go up. That's what jumps do. It's "super" because it makes you go up more than a regular jump. Of course it's not going to let you cover horizontal distances quickly, that's not what jumping does. That's not a weakness of SJ; it's an obvious consequence of the fact that jumping makes you go up.

That said, though, it would be really nice to see some horizontal mobility added to Super Jump. First things first, that momentum cancel upon activation (which makes you jump almost completely straight up no matter how fast you were running) needs to go.

Edited by SortaRandom

The main problem with Super Jump is that it is criminally outshined by Zephyr's Tail Wind, Nova's Worm Hole, and even Valkyr's Rip Line. It is easily the worst mobility power in the game, IMO. The late addition of a stealth component really adds nothing as far as I'm concerned: you're going straight up without being able to change direction, what's the point of "hiding" in the air if you're going to fall back down not too far from where you started? Not much of an escape.

My current thinking is to make it a jet pack: a toggle ability with steady energy drain and constant thrust. Range mods affect the angle of climb (low range would be around a 30 degree angle, additional range making it up to a 60 degree angle or so). Power strength could determine the speed of ascent. No other actions (aside

from slight turning) can be taken until toggle is turned off.

However, that would imply that if you wanted an ability like tail wind, you would have to use those characters. Super jump allows Excalibur to do what zephyr does, without having to BE Zephyr. I personally love super jump. Combining it with melee for a higher jump, chaining with RB for LOS reasons, and as a oh sh*t button. Also as I recently discovered, makes a good combo with slams to follow up with finisher damage. 

You have to be creative sometimes with powers. Don't just judge them by face value. 

However, that would imply that if you wanted an ability like tail wind, you would have to use those characters. Super jump allows Excalibur to do what zephyr does, without having to BE Zephyr. I personally love super jump. Combining it with melee for a higher jump, chaining with RB for LOS reasons, and as a oh sh*t button. Also as I recently discovered, makes a good combo with slams to follow up with finisher damage. 

You have to be creative sometimes with powers. Don't just judge them by face value. 

Face value? The devs added a stealth component to it because even they don't know what to do with the power. How's that for face value?

If you could use super jump while doing other actions, like sprinting or wall running, it would be an infinitely better power.  Using SJ to launch yourself to parkour in places you ordinarily couldn't would make it more useful.  Having it keep your current momentum or, even better, having it aimable, would make it feel a lot better to use.

You could spray air freshener on a smelly toilet and it gets "better", but that doesn't mean that you don't have to clean the bowl ever again.

Super Jump still needs work.

I would call your analogy masking a problem. But I wouldn't call super jump a problem. Not sure if it makes a difference on my controller vs your keyboard, but holding RB and pressing B is a great mechanic for me that gets me out of tight spots all the time, great LOS, and chains well with a jat kittag slam for a little breathing room. More height or an innate slam on touchdown would be cool, but I wouldn't suggest it's removal.