Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestions For Helmets And The Switch To Cosmetic Only, And Some Other Stuff.

KomradKickass

Soo, I watched the livestream, and was throwing some ideas around in my head at dinner, and I think I have a decent suggestion for dealing with the possible conversion of helmets to cosmetic items, as well as another idea or two that are somewhat related.

Suggestion 1:

Separate the "stat modding" part of the helm, and place it in a separate category, (called "Warframe tune/system/mod/something"), and allow that to be chosen independently from the helm, which is now cosmetic only.

By doing this, those that like the stat effects of the helms can continue to use them, but choose a different helm.

As another point of consideration important to the developers, by splitting the current helms into two distinct "items", you now have 2X the things to sell for plat, which could translate to increases revenue (hopefully enough to at least pay the time needed to code this change in).

Suggestion 2 (small one):

If the above in implemented, you could name the newly formed stat-enhancing item to "System", which make sense, to me, because the foundry has taught me that a warframe is made up of 3 primary parts, helm,chassis,system, and system seems like the one which would be non-cosmetic in nature.

Suggestion 3:

Now that the helm and system parts are taken care of, time to move onto the chassis. In a similar vain to the helmet idea, the option to change the "chassis" part of the frame opens up the possibility of warframe "skins" to be neatly implemented. I personally think some warframe skins are needed, as there exists warframes such as excalibur, whose design is somewhat bland compared to the more recently released frames, but whose design is also iconic, so you would not want to completely re-skin him, removing the iconic-classic design.

Also: More skins = more items for sale = increased platinum sales.

Suggestion 3.5: The ability to choose between warframe "skins" also lends itself to a new way to implement Prime versions of warframe, as you could treat "Frost Prime" as a (difficult to obtain) chassis skin for frost. There is one problem however, in that Frost and Frost Prime are separate warframes, with their own levels, polarities, and formas. To resolve this, you could make it so that each chassis skin levels up independently, including forma levels and polarities. Which can add re-playability and content to warframe, as purchasing a new skin for your favorite frame would now require you to level it up and forma it, if you so desired.

[[Edit 3: Striked out above, and added in the following method to resolve the changeover]]

Lets use this terminology:
"Frost" = Vanilla Frost (like you would build now)
"Frost Prime" = Frost Prime (like it is now)
"Combined Frost" = A frost after the changeover, who would have access to the customization options of Frost and Frost Prime (assuming you had both)

When the change-over happens, if the player had both "Frost" and "Frost Prime" initially, afterwards they would have TWO Combined Frosts, one inheriting the stats/level/forma/potato of Frost, and the other inheriting the stats/level/forma/potato of Frost Prime.

Then you are free to keep both, or just sell one and keep the one you like better. TADA! Only real "loss" is if people feel that they have wasted formas/potatoes if they choose to sell one.

[[End Edit 3]]

There ya go, those are my ideas, comments? feedback? YAY? NAY?

EDIT: TLDR version simplification by KittyDarkling

If I may, I'd like to take a crack at simplifying his post. Warframes currently have a

- Helmet slot
- Right shoulder slot
- Left shoulder slot
- Animation slot

His Idea is to expand to this:

- Helmet slot (Changes head aesthetics)
- System slot (Stat tweak)
- Chassis slot (Changes body aesthetics)
- Right shoulder slot
- Left shoulder slot
- Animation slot

Edit 2.5: Did a superquick MSPaint of the UI described above, ignore the fact that I made the black box too big.

THEN KittyDarkling did a much better mock-up using Photoshop, so I will edit and show that one instead. This would be what you see if you click on the "helmet" slot on the right

5yitQj2.png

Edited by KomradKickass

I honestly feel that this is really how the game should be. 100% This is a golden Idea that I'm really glad you wrote up!! it makes perfect sense, Lore friendly, Gameplay friendly, "Business" friendly. No one looses here...

Sir I insist we spread this post far and wide and make it the latest hot post!! >:D

+1

@OP

and

I honestly feel that this is really how the game should be. 100% This is a golden Idea that I'm really glad you wrote up!! it makes perfect sense, Lore friendly, Gameplay friendly, "Business" friendly. No one looses here...

Sir I insist we spread this post far and wide and make it the latest hot post!! >:D

+1

that idea is great. Think more often.

Not only you're giving more customization options

Not only it will give DE another source of budget to keep working on wf...

Its just flawless...

Upvoted, and shame I can't upvote again...

Overly complex in my opinion, however, this is something that would need to be seen-in-action rather than simply written about.

If I may, I'd like to take a crack at simplifying his post. Warframes currently have a

- Helmet slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

and again it's a golden idea indeed :D

- Helmet slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

Yeah that is a great way to simplify it. And really show now not-over-the-top/crazy the idea is, when you consider what is in the game. Well not counting the idea of different chassis leveling up separately, which was an idea of how to incorporate the "Prime" frames into this scheme. 

OP here:

To add to why i think this is a good idea:

Through my days playing shooters, I have noticed something.

In First Person Shooters, new weapon skins are what get people all worked up, take a look at CoD Black Ops2 with the camos/DLC, while cosmetic items that change the character, which can generally only be seen by other players, dont get nearly as much attention.

That being said, the inverse seems true in third person shooters (which is what Warframe is more closely related to): weapon skins = meh reaction (usually obscured by character model), while cosmetic items for the character (Which would include helms/chassis in this suggestion) tend to be quite popular, and sell well.

Of course there are going to be some counterexamples to this, but in my opinion, this shows that DE would get a better response/sales from warframe skins than from weapon skins. In this game, this already seems to be true, as I run into FAR more people that have purchased alt helms for their Warframe than have purchased one of the available weapon skins.

Also, while I cannot say I have any grasp of the creators' design process, I would think that the two alt helms that are available for the current Warframe (save Nova) would be a good start in designing two alternate chassis skins for each Warframe, with one skin being based on one of the alt Helmet design language, for example, Take Banshee:

Reverb Helmet: Overall slender design compared to the default, with more "swept back" than "swept out", so create a "reverb chassis" that uses these elements, lose the up-swept shoulder, as well as the hip pars, and go with more of a swept back look. Maybe even utilize the fact the Reverb Helm has earphone-looking elements in it, and head in that direction.

Chorus Helmet: Create a design that uses the "Laser Chords" elements that are present in the helmet.

If you followed this, each frame would have 3 helmet options, and 3 chassis options, allowing for 9 unique looks in total.

If nothing else DE listen to this, if you were to make each chassis skin cost 100 plat (which would be about 7$), assume every active player buys ONE for their favorite Warframe:

($7.00) x (# of active players) = how much money?

As long as my Rhino gets his Vanguard speed by all means change them to cosmetic but I NEED my speed. Would be nice if we got modifier mods from helmet missions so crafting helmets give us a stat change mod that corresponds to the helmet. We would also need a stat modifier mod slot too then.

As long as my Rhino gets his Vanguard speed by all means change them to cosmetic but I NEED my speed. Would be nice if we got modifier mods from helmet missions so crafting helmets give us a stat change mod that corresponds to the helmet. We would also need a stat modifier mod slot too then.

I believe the idea is the "System slot" would be your modifier that gives you the speed, your "Helmet slot" would just become cosmetic. It would be good if the devs gave everyone a who owns the current helmets a copy of each. nothing would "really" change except for the freedom to choose what you want as far as headgear

OP: I hope you realize that suggestion 3.5 actually changes nothing except how the UI is organized.

Hence the 0.5 in there. It does however mean that you would not need a new WF slot for a Prime, assuming you have the vanilla version. Which is advantageous to the player, less so for the devs. It is also nice to have the normal, and the prime under the same "frame" so to speak.

However, if you did implement it in a way that the cosmetic chassis skins needed leveled/formad separately, it would add some (re)playability, as the user would need to relevel that skin, akin to adding a forma.  

Like you I had a few thoughts about that topic that came up in the livestream. I came here prepared to throw up my suggestion for dissemination but it is so similar to yours I will just add it here.

Basically I was thinking along the lines of your first suggestion. Each helmet would be purely cosmetic, with the stats modifiers being split off into a separate choice. You could choose any helmet and stat combination that you own, completely independently of each other.

The only link would be in how you purchase them. Steve I think it was said he liked how each item had an in game effect too and my idea was that you would purchase a helmet and it comes with a set of stats (as a package deal), this would represent said concept that Steve likes. Once you buy that helmet and it it's accompanying stats, you are free to choose both, neither, one or the other at any time to apply to your warframe.

That being said, having them completely separate as you advocate has it's appeal too.

OP, this is brilliant. I love the idea of changing helmets to cosmetic only and creating systems to hold stats. It's win win! We can get our stat tradeoffs and still look awesome. :D As for chassi skins I'm all for more customization options. If primes are made into skins I'm ambivalent but I know a bunch of people would prefer they weren't and it would probably be simpler if they stayed separate.

You might consider throwing KittyDarkling's simplification up in your first post as a TLDR or something for people that need a more cut and dry explanations.

- Helmet slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

- Right shoulder slot

- Left shoulder slot

- Animation slot

Same topic here : https://forums.warfr...power-and-look/

Can I add your solution in my thread?

Sure, go for it, just also place a link to this thread to give the complete picture for those interested.. I figured that the idea of separating the stats and the helmet wasnt totally new, and probably suggested elsewhere, but I like the idea of making a Helm/System/Chassis system, as it fits well with the "lore" from crafting.

OP, this is brilliant. I love the idea of changing helmets to cosmetic only and creating systems to hold stats. It's win win! We can get our stat tradeoffs and still look awesome. :D As for chassi skins I'm all for more customization options. If primes are made into skins I'm ambivalent but I know a bunch of people would prefer they weren't and it would probably be simpler if they stayed separate.

You might consider throwing KittyDarkling's simplification up in your first post as a TLDR or something for people that need a more cut and dry explanations.

Yeah, ill go make a TLDR edit in the first post

Like you I had a few thoughts about that topic that came up in the livestream. I came here prepared to throw up my suggestion for dissemination but it is so similar to yours I will just add it here.

Basically I was thinking along the lines of your first suggestion. Each helmet would be purely cosmetic, with the stats modifiers being split off into a separate choice. You could choose any helmet and stat combination that you own, completely independently of each other.

The only link would be in how you purchase them. Steve I think it was said he liked how each item had an in game effect too and my idea was that you would purchase a helmet and it comes with a set of stats (as a package deal), this would represent said concept that Steve likes. Once you buy that helmet and it it's accompanying stats, you are free to choose both, neither, one or the other at any time to apply to your warframe.

That being said, having them completely separate as you advocate has it's appeal too.

I think what would have to be done if you were to separate the helmet from the stat items(for simplicity i will call them systems) is: Offer the systems as alert rewards, taking the place of the current helmets, as they change stats, and could cause some outrage if placed behind paywall (of course they would be available for platinum also), then you could make the helmets platinum only, as they would now be purely cosmetic.

So it seems that people like the idea of separating the cosmetic component of the helmets from the functional stat component of helmets, so to slightly change the topic of discussion so far, what are everyone's thoughts on the idea of a cosmetic "chassis" slot.

Furthermore, if a "chassis" slot were to be implemented, how would you feel about each chassis leveling up separately? Would you like the "Primes" to be implemented as special customization options as described in the first post, as opposed to treating them as a separate Warframe altogether?