Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Improvement To The Hacking Minigame

Notso

So after trying over and over again to hack consoles without "Intrusion detected" notification popping up every time, and failing dismally each time, even on the simplest three-tile hacks, which I can solve in 1-2 seconds, I've been thinking of a way to improve the hacking minigame a little. It's a very simple change, but I think it would be better than the current system.

Current system: You can rotate tiles clockwise and anti-clockwise. Lines on tiles have to line up to complete the hack. Whether or not you are "detected" or not seems to be quite random as to when you are detected, but you are, inevitably, detected.

Proposed system: You can rotate tiles clockwise and anti-clockwise. Lines on tiles have to line up to complete the hack. To avoid detection, you must rotate each tile towards its final position (how it lies in the complete hack). Rotating it the wrong direction brings you closer to detection, while rotating it the correct way does not increase detection chance.

uDWfFPA.png

Looking at the lower right tile, anti-clockwise (the green arrow) is the correct direction to rotate it, as it requires only two rotations to reach the "final" orange position, whereas clockwise would require 4 rotations.

Each unsuccesful rotation increases the detection rating. The more tiles there are, the less the detection rating is increased with each bad rotation, because there is more going on in the computer system, so something bad is less noticeable (but only a little).

This means the more tiles there are, the harder it is to hack a console undetected. Once you reach 100% detection, you get detected (obviously), and waive any chance of getting the non-detection XP bonus.

3 tiles = 34% per bad rotation

4 tiles = 25% per bad rotation

5 tiles = 20% per bad rotation

6 tiles = 17% per bad rotation

7 tiles = 15% per bad rotation

Successfully hacking a console without being detected will net you a large XP bonus, say 250 Affinity, rather than the 50 Affinity as it is now.

The Cipher would work as it does now, however using it would give a flat increase to detection (say, 40% or something).

This system means it is still possible to quickly hack a terminal, if, say, you're being shot at, but rewards players who take the time to make sure they can hack in peace, or rewards teamwork (protecting the team-mate who's hacking).

If this is added, the hacking minigame should perhaps also display which direction the left/right mouse buttons are going to rotate the tiles.

I always get them mixed up and rotate them in the opposite direction from what I intend :(

Left for clockwise, right for anti-clockwise. I've been trying to think of an acronym or something to help me remember but have been out of luck so far. Unfortunately it's actually left to go right, and right to go left lol.

After some more experimenting today, it seems the "timer" at the top of the current hack interface doesn't decrease linearly. It seems to accelerate and decelerate quite a bit. I'll do some in-depth testing tomorrow morning with a stopwatch and Fraps and report back in the bug section if necessary.

Either way, my new system would have a linear timer. 18 seconds to complete the hack no matter what.

Hmm been practicing my hacking as if my way of doing it were in-place, and there are certainly some which are easier to do without turning the wrong way than others. For example the ones with the "arc" of tiles is super easy to work out, but the ones that are more bunched together are harder... Seems like there needs to be different allowances for error depending on the shape as well... This is getting surprisingly complicated xD

good suggestion. I especially disliked how you are always detected when hacking :/. add ing to your system you should have a small time window where it is impossible to be detected (so that people that are good at hacking are rewarded with my detection/more affinity). Although i do like your system as promotes smart thinking over> quick speed/reaction, which is what mine would support.

alos+1

and i would love to see a team hack. we both can work on the same hack (8 or more hex's)... maybe have one person can control half, and a second person can control the other half, but both can see the other tiles.

I approve of this thread. Still, how should the three-way (3 symmetrical possibilities) and four-way (2 symmetrical possibilities) parts work? They are symmetrical but only one direction is currently accepted.

If this system is implemented, either the total time needs to be decreased or the hacks need to be made much more difficult.

Edited by Inofor

I approve of this thread. Still, how should the three-way (3 symmetrical possibilities) and four-way (2 symmetrical possibilities) parts work? They are symmetrical but only one direction is currently accepted.

If this system is implemented, either the total time needs to be decreased or the hacks need to be made much more difficult.

Yes, I posted regarding this in the past. My idea for a solution was as follows:

Assuming hacking works when the sum of the "correct" positions = 1, and with 5 nodes (the minimum to replicate this issue), each "correct" node returns a value of 0.2. Realistically, this could be 1 divided by how many hacking nodes there are.

if (nodeIs2waySymmetrical)

{

if (nodeDirection == 1 || nodeDirection == 3)

{

return 0.2;

}

else

{

return 0;

}

}

Three node system:

if (threewaysymmetrical)

{

if (nodeDirection == 1 || nodeDirection == 3 || nodeDirection == 5)

{

return 0.2;

}

else

{

return 0;

}

}

If there were a scenario where a node is symmetrical on all four directions, it'd be a cakewalk.

if (nodeIs4waySymmetrical)

{

if (nodeDirection == 1 || nodeDirection == 2 || nodeDirection == 4 || nodeDirection == 5)

{

return 0.2;

}

else

{

return 0;

}

}

I did edit the quote a little bit to account for the three way symmetrical possibility, as well as the fact that my post was probably a little unclear initially.

All they need to do is get rid of this one, and the five-hex one with the double cross in the middle that could go either way.

yGkWxkG.jpg

Pretty much can be solved with the center piece in three different positions. It's stupid.